Re: Joshua Drake's "What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Joshua Drake's "What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
In the last exciting episode, alvherre@commandprompt.com (Alvaro Herrera) wrote:
> Chris Browne wrote:
>
>> I am as "pro-having-in-place-upgrades" as it comes, but it should be
>> noted that upgrading via Slony-I was one of the intended use cases in
>> its design, and that use case has certainly been successfully
>> addressed.
>
> Also, plans are forthcoming for improving vacuum so that it will be no
> longer such a huge problem even in "high velocity" databases.

We have seen considerable improvements to VACUUM in practically every
major release, so that between 7.2 and 8.3, it has become a "way less
huge issue."  (I don't recall there being anything *major* improved
about VACUUM in 7.3, but then, I don't remember much about 7.3, having
only barely used it.)

I'm glad to hear that the efforts have not slackened :-)!
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresql.html