Re: Joshua Drake's "What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Joshua Drake's "What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 03:34:38PM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
> I am as "pro-having-in-place-upgrades" as it comes, but it should be
> noted that upgrading via Slony-I was one of the intended use cases in
> its design, and that use case has certainly been successfully
> addressed.

I think one needs to be careful not to overstate the success achieved.  It
does work.  That doesn't mean it's easy or quick.  Given that TheirSQL drops
the new daemon in place and upgrades the tables on the way by, upgrade via
Slony looks remarkably kludgey.

Yes, I understand the reasons why it's this way; that doesn't mean it's the
best of all possible worlds.  Dr Pangloss was wrong, durnit.