developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

http://www.developer.com/design/article.php/10925_3721761_1

Winners of the Developer.com's Product of the Year 2008 are announced:

Quote:
Database Tool or Add-in
The finalists were:

      * Hibernate
      * Java DB
      * MySQL
      * Oracle Database 10g
      * PostgreSQL

And the winner is PostgreSQL. This one surprised us and taught us
something about our audience base. We need to do a better job of
covering this topic! Postgresql.org touts this product as "The world's
most advanced open source database" and after seeing the votes, they may
just be correct.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
"Mike Ellsworth"
Date:
> And the winner is PostgreSQL.
Great news.

Privileged to Lead.

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Date:
On 18/01/2008, Mike Ellsworth <younicycle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > And the winner is PostgreSQL.
> Privileged to Lead.
And ahead of both Oracle and "the other popular open source DB
which Sun recently acquired" :}

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
Shane Ambler

> And the winner is PostgreSQL.

Congratulations to everyone that helped make it happen.

And thank you to all who voted.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
rotellaro@gmail.com
Date:
W00T!

--
(all opinions expressed are my own)
Federico Campoli is:

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 14:15 -0800, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> http://www.developer.com/design/article.php/10925_3721761_1
>
> Winners of the Developer.com's Product of the Year 2008 are announced:

> And the winner is PostgreSQL.

I think we should add a sentence fragment to our forthcoming press
release for 8.3:

"PostgreSQL, Winner of Developer.com's Product of the Year 2008, ..."

or if you have stomach for more:

"PostgreSQL has recently been announced as Winner of Developer.com's
Product of the Year 2008, beating both MySQL and Oracle. This follows 5
consecutive Editor's Choice awards from LinuxJournal."

It's hot news and important news also, which I think we should include
*especially* in light of recent MySQL announcements.

I'm not bothered if it can't be translated into all languages in time.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 18 January 2008 14:57, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:37:05 +0000
>
> Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > "PostgreSQL has recently been announced as Winner of Developer.com's
> > Product of the Year 2008, beating both MySQL and Oracle. This follows
> > 5 consecutive Editor's Choice awards from LinuxJournal."
> >
> > It's hot news and important news also, which I think we should include
> > *especially* in light of recent MySQL announcements.
> >
> > I'm not bothered if it can't be translated into all languages in time.
>
> +1

-2, as a general rule you should never mention competing products in your
product announcements.

--
Robert Treat

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
How about something like "beating out all other popular open source and proprietary databases?"

Gavin

On 1/18/08, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
On Friday 18 January 2008 14:57, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:37:05 +0000
>
> Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > "PostgreSQL has recently been announced as Winner of Developer.com's
> > Product of the Year 2008, beating both MySQL and Oracle. This follows
> > 5 consecutive Editor's Choice awards from LinuxJournal."
> >
> > It's hot news and important news also, which I think we should include
> > *especially* in light of recent MySQL announcements.
> >
> > I'm not bothered if it can't be translated into all languages in time.
>
> +1

-2, as a general rule you should never mention competing products in your
product announcements.

--
Robert Treat

       match

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On 18/01/2008, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Friday 18 January 2008 14:57, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:37:05 +0000
> >
> > Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > > "PostgreSQL has recently been announced as Winner of Developer.com's
> > > Product of the Year 2008, beating both MySQL and Oracle. This follows
> > > 5 consecutive Editor's Choice awards from LinuxJournal."
> > >
> > > It's hot news and important news also, which I think we should include
> > > *especially* in light of recent MySQL announcements.
> > >
> > > I'm not bothered if it can't be translated into all languages in time.
> >
> > +1
> >

> -2, as a general rule you should never mention competing products in your
> product announcements.

'beating other leading Open Source and Commericial DBMSs' ?

/D

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
"Milen A. Radev"
Date:
Dave Page написа:
[...]
> 'beating other leading Open Source and Commericial DBMSs' ?

More like 'beating other popular Open Source and Commericial DBMSs'.

--
Milen A. Radev

Date:

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Robert Treat wrote:

>> Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> "PostgreSQL has recently been announced as Winner of Developer.com's
>>> Product of the Year 2008, beating both MySQL and Oracle. This follows
>>> 5 consecutive Editor's Choice awards from LinuxJournal."
>
> -2, as a general rule you should never mention competing products in your
> product announcements.

Yeah, saying you won implies that all the competition you'd expect in that
category was soundly thrashed and specifically smacking them might be
considered poor form for the new release announcement.  Simon's statement
is a little misleading the way it's worded now as well (it wasn't their
overall product of the year, just the database one).  How about this
re-worked version:

PostgreSQL has recently been announced Developer.com's "Database Tool or
Add-in" Product of the Year for 2008. This follows 5 consecutive Editor's
Choice Awards for "Best Database" from LinuxJournal.

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
[sorry, Greg, for the earlier msg]

On Jan 18, 2008 2:23 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:

> PostgreSQL has recently been announced Developer.com's "Database Tool or
> Add-in" Product of the Year for 2008. This follows 5 consecutive Editor's
> Choice Awards for "Best Database" from LinuxJournal.

+1 for directness and +1 for mentioning the earlier awards in the same breath.

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On Jan 18, 2008 5:34 PM, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2008 2:23 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> > PostgreSQL has recently been announced Developer.com's "Database Tool or
> > Add-in" Product of the Year for 2008. This follows 5 consecutive Editor's
> > Choice Awards for "Best Database" from LinuxJournal.
>
> +1 for directness and +1 for mentioning the earlier awards in the same breath.

+1 for not being too marketroidal

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301

Date:
On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 16:45 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:

> -2, as a general rule you should never mention competing products in your
> product announcements.

If it really is a general rule, it wasn't written by somebody fighting
for recognition and market share, as we are.

Our competitors don't mention Postgres yet, because it would merely
highlight our strengths to do so. They will soon and they won't wear
gloves when they do.

If we beat somebody in a fair fight, we should say so. I haven't
suggested running them down, just saying we beat them. If people don't
know who we beat, they might just think the competition was Access and
Ingres.

Nothing wrong in giving a press release some teeth.

--

Date:
On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 17:23 -0500, Greg Smith wrote:

>  Simon's statement
> is a little misleading the way it's worded now as well (it wasn't their
> overall product of the year, just the database one).  How about this
> re-worked version:

No intent to mislead, just a thinko. No problem with adding that in.

--

Date:

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Date:
On Friday 18. January 2008, Simon Riggs wrote:

>"PostgreSQL has recently been announced as Winner of Developer.com's
>Product of the Year 2008, beating both MySQL and Oracle. This follows
> 5 consecutive Editor's Choice awards from LinuxJournal."

"Among the also-rans were MySQL an Oracle" should cover the most?
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE
My Jazz Jukebox: http://www.last.fm/user/leifbk/

Date:
On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 15:48 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:19:14 +0000
> Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> > If we beat somebody in a fair fight, we should say so. I haven't
> > suggested running them down, just saying we beat them. If people don't
> > know who we beat, they might just think the competition was Access and
> > Ingres.
> >
> > Nothing wrong in giving a press release some teeth.
>
> In general I agree with you. However we need to be careful here. For
> example, the lead in quote we have for the 8.3 press release is from a
> VP at Sun.

I think its good that we have the VP from Sun and my suggested wording
might endanger that, so I withdraw the request to mention other
companies directly.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Let's hear from Etsy, ADP, Macrovision, Steel Rubber Products, Pagesix,
> NOAA, NASA etc...

Hey, I openly solicited for quotes.  I don't have any contacts at the
companies you name; if you do, then you should solicit them.

> I would also note that it is likely too late to do this for 8.3.

Most definitely.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Date:

Date:
On Friday 18 January 2008 17:43, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2008 5:34 PM, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 18, 2008 2:23 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> > > PostgreSQL has recently been announced Developer.com's "Database Tool
> > > or Add-in" Product of the Year for 2008. This follows 5 consecutive
> > > Editor's Choice Awards for "Best Database" from LinuxJournal.
> >
> > +1 for directness and +1 for mentioning the earlier awards in the same
> > breath.
>
> +1 for not being too marketroidal

IMHO this is a distraction to the point of the press release, which is to tell
people we have a new version of the software.  If people really think this is
an important item, then we should 1) Change the main blurb on the web page,
2) Add a news item to the pgsql news list on the main website, 3) Send an
email to pgsql-announce with mini-press release of the event, and 4) Drop a
note to our press-friendlies about the occurance, positioned something
like "on the eve of releasing PostgreSQL 8.3, the database has nabbed yet
another award" (this could be similar working to the mini-release for
announce).

Note: I'm already trying to get in contact with the folks at developer.com, if
anyone has a direct contact they could put me in touch with, that would be
appreciated.

--
Robert Treat

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
Dan Langille
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Friday 18 January 2008 17:43, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>>> +1 for directness and +1 for mentioning the earlier awards in the same
>>> breath.
>> +1 for not being too marketroidal
>
> IMHO this is a distraction to the point of the press release, which is to tell
> people we have a new version of the software.  If people really think this is
> an important item, then we should 1) Change the main blurb on the web page,
> 2) Add a news item to the pgsql news list on the main website, 3) Send an
> email to pgsql-announce with mini-press release of the event, and 4) Drop a
> note to our press-friendlies about the occurance, positioned something
> like "on the eve of releasing PostgreSQL 8.3, the database has nabbed yet
> another award" (this could be similar working to the mini-release for
> announce).
>
> Note: I'm already trying to get in contact with the folks at developer.com, if
> anyone has a direct contact they could put me in touch with, that would be
> appreciated.

+1

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference: http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

The 8.3 press release has already been translated into 13 languages.  We are
*not* changing the text, especially based on a popularity contest at a
magazine.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Date:

Robert Treat wrote:

> 4) Drop a note to our press-friendlies about the occurance,
> positioned something like "on the eve of releasing PostgreSQL 8.3,
> the database has nabbed yet another award" (this could be similar
> working to the mini-release for announce).

I liked the idea of having it in the press release but if not, getting
the press to mention it as the introduction to the release is a good idea.

Instead of the headline "PostgreSQL releases new version" it could be
"Database of the year releases new version" which I think could get more
readers.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Friday 18 January 2008 17:43, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>>> +1 for directness and +1 for mentioning the earlier awards in the same
>>> breath.
>> +1 for not being too marketroidal
>
> IMHO this is a distraction to the point of the press release, which is to tell
> people we have a new version of the software.  If people really think this is
> an important item, then we should 1) Change the main blurb on the web page,
> 2) Add a news item to the pgsql news list on the main website, 3) Send an
> email to pgsql-announce with mini-press release of the event, and 4) Drop a
> note to our press-friendlies about the occurance, positioned something
> like "on the eve of releasing PostgreSQL 8.3, the database has nabbed yet
> another award" (this could be similar working to the mini-release for
> announce).

FWIW, #2 was already done by Berkus, but nobody had approved it for some
reason. Said nobody includes you, so you should already have known about
that one :P

//Magnus

Date:
On Saturday 19 January 2008 06:24, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:

> >> +1 for not being too marketroidal
> >
> > IMHO this is a distraction to the point of the press release, which is to
> > tell people we have a new version of the software.  If people really
> > think this is an important item, then we should 1) Change the main blurb
> > on the web page, 2) Add a news item to the pgsql news list on the main
> > website, 3) Send an email to pgsql-announce with mini-press release of
> > the event, and 4) Drop a note to our press-friendlies about the
> > occurance, positioned something like "on the eve of releasing PostgreSQL
> > 8.3, the database has nabbed yet another award" (this could be similar
> > working to the mini-release for announce).
>
> FWIW, #2 was already done by Berkus, but nobody had approved it for some
> reason. Said nobody includes you, so you should already have known about
> that one :P

I'm not arguing that I should not have known, but I will note no one responded
to me when I asked on Tuesday if poeple were getting website notifications,
and that I wasn't.

--
Robert Treat

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
Jean-Paul Argudo
Date:
Hi all,

> I think we should add a sentence fragment to our forthcoming press
> release for 8.3:
>
> "PostgreSQL, Winner of Developer.com's Product of the Year 2008, ..."

Agreed!

> or if you have stomach for more:
>
> "PostgreSQL has recently been announced as Winner of Developer.com's
> Product of the Year 2008, beating both MySQL and Oracle. This follows 5
> consecutive Editor's Choice awards from LinuxJournal."

I prefer this long version.

Other RDBMS wouldn't hesitate in communicating this way, why would we ?

> It's hot news and important news also, which I think we should include
> *especially* in light of recent MySQL announcements.

+1

We're preparing an article to be published at PostgreSQLFr.org, about
this new award.

Thanks.

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org

Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From
Brian Hurt
Date:
What I found interesting about this, looking at who/what won the other
awards, is that this website mainly attracts the Java/Enterprise sort of
developers.  I bet if we asked a bunch of Ruby on Rails developers we'd
have gotten a different answer.

But this, I think, is actually good news- if you think Postgres' real
competitors are Oracle, Sybase, and DB2, and not MySQL.  In other words,
you're targetting the Java/Enterprise people a heck of a lot more than
we're targetting the PHP people.  And you're *succeeding*.

Brian