Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year" - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 16:45 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:

> -2, as a general rule you should never mention competing products in your
> product announcements.

If it really is a general rule, it wasn't written by somebody fighting
for recognition and market share, as we are.

Our competitors don't mention Postgres yet, because it would merely
highlight our strengths to do so. They will soon and they won't wear
gloves when they do.

If we beat somebody in a fair fight, we should say so. I haven't
suggested running them down, just saying we beat them. If people don't
know who we beat, they might just think the competition was Access and
Ingres.

Nothing wrong in giving a press release some teeth.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com