Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year" - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"
Date
Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"  (Shane Ambler <pgsql@Sheeky.Biz>)
Re: developer.com: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 18 January 2008 17:43, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2008 5:34 PM, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 18, 2008 2:23 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> > > PostgreSQL has recently been announced Developer.com's "Database Tool
> > > or Add-in" Product of the Year for 2008. This follows 5 consecutive
> > > Editor's Choice Awards for "Best Database" from LinuxJournal.
> >
> > +1 for directness and +1 for mentioning the earlier awards in the same
> > breath.
>
> +1 for not being too marketroidal

IMHO this is a distraction to the point of the press release, which is to tell
people we have a new version of the software.  If people really think this is
an important item, then we should 1) Change the main blurb on the web page,
2) Add a news item to the pgsql news list on the main website, 3) Send an
email to pgsql-announce with mini-press release of the event, and 4) Drop a
note to our press-friendlies about the occurance, positioned something
like "on the eve of releasing PostgreSQL 8.3, the database has nabbed yet
another award" (this could be similar working to the mini-release for
announce).

Note: I'm already trying to get in contact with the folks at developer.com, if
anyone has a direct contact they could put me in touch with, that would be
appreciated.

--
Robert Treat