Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
"Dan Langille"
Date:
On 30 Aug 2007 at 8:50, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Some in the community are planning a series of conferences throughout
> the next 12 months. Here are the conferences that I am currently working
> on. Each of these conferences are 1 or 2 day talk sessions, with a
> dinner and party.
>
> PostgreSQL Conference Fall 2007
>   This one has been announced, it is in Portland, Oregon at PSU.

Adding to the list: there is PGCon 2008. From
http://www.pgcon.org/2008/

PGCon 2008 will be held on 22-23 May 2008 at University of Ottawa,
with two days of Tutorials on 20-21 May 2008.

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
Available for hire: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Don't forget pgcon (Ottawa) , it's the one venue that many Europeans feel comfortable when coming to North America.

Date:

Robert Bernier wrote:
> Don't forget pgcon (Ottawa) , it's the one venue that many Europeans feel comfortable when coming to North America.

I didn't forget it, but it is not one that "I" am planning :). Dan has
already spoken up, I am glad to see it is happening again this year.

Joshua D. Drake

> On Thursday 30 August 2007 11:50, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Some in the community are planning a series of conferences throughout
>> the next 12 months. Here are the conferences that I am currently working
>> on. Each of these conferences are 1 or 2 day talk sessions, with a
>> dinner and party.
>>
>> PostgreSQL Conference Fall 2007
>>   This one has been announced, it is in Portland, Oregon at PSU.
>>
>> PostgreSQL Conference Winter 2008
>>   This one is in the works and about to be announced. It will track
>> along SCALE in Los Angeles, CA in February 2008. I would also like to
>> have one one the east coast and having been talking with Robert Treat
>> about possibilities there. If you can help here, it would be great.
>>
>> PostgreSQL Conference Summer 2008
>>   This is actually two opportunities. OSCON 2008 and LWE. The OSCON
>> track is fairly assured. I am starting to work on LWE as well.
>>
>> I know that there are other conferences, specifically in Europe that are
>> PostgreSQL specific. I would like to know where and if those are still
>> planned so:
>>
>> 1. The fund raising group can help if needed
>> 2. We can make sure that the communication channels are open
>> 3. We get the conferences documented so everyone knows what is going on.
>> 4. We can work together in case there is something one conference needs
>> that another doesn't etc...
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake

- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Perhaps a good use of the http://conference.postgresql.org/ site is to
serve as a guide to upcoming conferences and a historical reference to
previous ones.

Date:

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
Decibel!
Date:
On Aug 30, 2007, at 2:21 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>> Perhaps a good use of the http://conference.postgresql.org/ site
>> is to
>> serve as a guide to upcoming conferences and a historical
>> reference to
>> previous ones.
>
> Well they are already being written on on the advocacy pages of the
> wiki...

So then let's point conferences.pg.org there.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Makes sense to me.

On 8/31/07, Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org> wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2007, at 2:21 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> > Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> >> Perhaps a good use of the http://conference.postgresql.org/ site
> >> is to
> >> serve as a guide to upcoming conferences and a historical
> >> reference to
> >> previous ones.
> >
> > Well they are already being written on on the advocacy pages of the
> > wiki...
>
> So then let's point conferences.pg.org there.
> --
> Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org
> EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 08:50 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Some in the community are planning a series of conferences throughout
> the next 12 months.

What is the purpose of these conferences? Why are there so many?

Surely if you want to get people together, we'd have just one?

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Date:
On Tuesday 4 September 2007 04:44, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 08:50 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > Some in the community are planning a series of conferences throughout
> > the next 12 months.
>
> What is the purpose of these conferences? Why are there so many?

It looks like there's two interpretations of 'conferences': the first is as a major event that brings people together
fromall over the place. The second is of a user group nature.

> Surely if you want to get people together, we'd have just one?

I remember in my home area (Ottawa) back in the late 90's when Linux user group attendence numbered in the hundreds for
themonthly meetings, now it's around 80 or so. I think Postgres is in the same situation i.e. it's attracting popular
interestfrom non-traditional segments of the population.

Robert

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
"Hans-Jürgen Schönig"
Date:
Simon Riggs schrieb:
> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 08:50 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>> Some in the community are planning a series of conferences throughout
>> the next 12 months.
>>

> What is the purpose of these conferences? Why are there so many?
>
> Surely if you want to get people together, we'd have just one?

hello simon ...

we were thinking of repeating the Prato event next year in Vienna
(Austria). I have already talked to some people in Germany about that
and it seems that the persons I have talked to like the idea. I
contacted the city of Vienna today to see if we can get some support
from those people (they use PostgreSQL so they should be interested).

this is just an idea up to now but i think it makes sense to do an event
in Europe once a year or so.

    many thanks,

       hans

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
"Chris Mair"
Date:
>> What is the purpose of these conferences? Why are there so many?
>>
>> Surely if you want to get people together, we'd have just one?
>>

>hello simon ...
>
>we were thinking of repeating the Prato event next year in Vienna
>(Austria). I have already talked to some people in Germany about
>that
>and it seems that the persons I have talked to like the idea. I
>contacted the city of Vienna today to see if we can get some
>support
>from those people (they use PostgreSQL so they should be
>interested).
>
>this is just an idea up to now but i think it makes sense to do an
>event
>in Europe once a year or so.

Hi,
from what I've heared in the newborn eu list and from the prato
people
at this moment half of europe wants to do PostgreSQL conferences :-)

Maybe we should discuss this (again) on the eu list.... so we can be
sure that just one conference labels itself as "international" and
we don't drain each others guests from other continents?

Then again, I'd like Vienna. It would be a reasonably short travel
for
me ;)

Bye,
Chris.

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> So then let's point conferences.pg.org there.

WAIT!  Before we re-direct conference.postgresql.org, we need somewhere to
archive the presentations from the PostgreSQL Summit.

Suggestions?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> What is the purpose of these conferences? Why are there so many?

It seems to be the way that PostgreSQL events are growing organically.  We
seem to be a very decentralized project.  Partly it's also timing; in the
world of tech conferences, the current trend is for smaller, thriftier,
regional conferences (e.g. the growth of "LinuxFest [location]" and the
collapse of LinuxWorld).

Also, we (the community) don't seem to be yet capable of filling a worldwide
1000-attendee conference, while having any number of locally sponsored
conferences between 50 and 200 attendees doesn't seem to be a problem.  Maybe
PGCon will grow to MySQLCon/DebConf size but I expect that's not for a few
years yet.

Means a lot of frequent flyer miles for me, though.

> Maybe we should discuss this (again) on the eu list.... so we can be
> sure that just one conference labels itself as "international" and
> we don't drain each others guests from other continents?

Yeah, this is important.  I doubt that I can speak at more than one EU
PostgreSQL conference, especially since we're also committed to a large
presence at FOSDEM (or have people forgotten this?).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 04 September 2007 11:49, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> > So then let's point conferences.pg.org there.
>
> WAIT!  Before we re-direct conference.postgresql.org, we need somewhere to
> archive the presentations from the PostgreSQL Summit.
>
> Suggestions?

Techdocs, under the conference presentations section?

--
Robert Treat