Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Bernier
Subject Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL conferences (next 12 months)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 4 September 2007 04:44, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 08:50 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > Some in the community are planning a series of conferences throughout
> > the next 12 months.
>
> What is the purpose of these conferences? Why are there so many?

It looks like there's two interpretations of 'conferences': the first is as a major event that brings people together
fromall over the place. The second is of a user group nature.

> Surely if you want to get people together, we'd have just one?

I remember in my home area (Ottawa) back in the late 90's when Linux user group attendence numbered in the hundreds for
themonthly meetings, now it's around 80 or so. I think Postgres is in the same situation i.e. it's attracting popular
interestfrom non-traditional segments of the population.

Robert