European users mailing list

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi,

As discussed at the first meeting of what will become the European
PostgreSQL Users Group after pgDay in Prato, we now have a mailing list
setup at pgsql-eu-general@postgresql.org.

This is for the European users group, so is not really intended as a
technical list but as a place to discuss events, advocacy and other
topics relevant to our work in Europe.

To subscribe, send the word 'subscribe' to
pgsql-eu-general-request@postgresql.org. To unsubscribe, send the word
'unsubscribe'

Apologies for the delay in setting this up - the list is there now,
archives will be sorted early next week.

Regards, Dave.

Re: European users mailing list

From
Peter Eisentraut
Dave Page wrote:
> As discussed at the first meeting of what will become the European
> PostgreSQL Users Group after pgDay in Prato, we now have a mailing
> list setup at pgsql-eu-general@postgresql.org.
>
> This is for the European users group, so is not really intended as a
> technical list but as a place to discuss events, advocacy and other
> topics relevant to our work in Europe.

If it's not a general list, why did you name it "general"?  That will
certainly cause confusion.  It sounds like -eu-advocacy might have been
better.

--
Peter Eisentraut

"Dave Page"

Who said it wasn't 'general'? I said it wasn't intended to be technical, but that's because technical issues are rarely
regionspecific. That doesn't mean there aren't a variety of other general topics we might discuss.

/D

Re: European users mailing list

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> As discussed at the first meeting of what will become the European
>> PostgreSQL Users Group after pgDay in Prato, we now have a mailing
>> list setup at pgsql-eu-general@postgresql.org.
>>
>> This is for the European users group, so is not really intended as a
>> technical list but as a place to discuss events, advocacy and other
>> topics relevant to our work in Europe.
>
> If it's not a general list, why did you name it "general"?  That will
> certainly cause confusion.  It sounds like -eu-advocacy might have been
> better.

+1 -eu-advocacy seems to make more sense.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Dave Page wrote:
>>> As discussed at the first meeting of what will become the European
>>> PostgreSQL Users Group after pgDay in Prato, we now have a mailing
>>> list setup at pgsql-eu-general@postgresql.org.
>>>
>>> This is for the European users group, so is not really intended as a
>>> technical list but as a place to discuss events, advocacy and other
>>> topics relevant to our work in Europe.
>>
>> If it's not a general list, why did you name it "general"?  That will
>> certainly cause confusion.  It sounds like -eu-advocacy might have
>> been better.
>
> +1 -eu-advocacy seems to make more sense.

With all due repect JD, you were not at the meeting at which this was
discussed and are presumably unaware that we discussed more than just
'advocacy'. I expect there to be 3 or 4 -eu lists eventually, one of
which may well be -advocacy.

But for now, I was asked to arrange a general mailing list, which I have
done.

Regards, Dave.

Re: European users mailing list

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 30 July 2007 03:47, Dave Page wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> >> If it's not a general list, why did you name it "general"?  That will
> >> certainly cause confusion.  It sounds like -eu-advocacy might have
> >> been better.
> >
> > +1 -eu-advocacy seems to make more sense.
>
> With all due repect JD, you were not at the meeting at which this was
> discussed and are presumably unaware that we discussed more than just
> 'advocacy'. I expect there to be 3 or 4 -eu lists eventually, one of
> which may well be -advocacy.

*shrug*  I wasn't there either, but seems all the emails I have seen reffered
to it as the "European PostgreSQL Users Group", so I expected it to look more
like other users groups, ie. eupug@postgresql.org.

> But for now, I was asked to arrange a general mailing list, which I have
> done.

Except we already had a general european mailing list, so I'm really not clear
on what the above is meant for accomplishing.

--
Robert Treat

Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Monday 30 July 2007 03:47, Dave Page wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> +1 -eu-advocacy seems to make more sense.
>> With all due repect JD, you were not at the meeting at which this was
>> discussed and are presumably unaware that we discussed more than just
>> 'advocacy'. I expect there to be 3 or 4 -eu lists eventually, one of
>> which may well be -advocacy.
>>

> *shrug*  I wasn't there either, but seems all the emails I have seen reffered
> to it as the "European PostgreSQL Users Group", so I expected it to look more
> like other users groups, ie. eupug@postgresql.org.

I was at that meeting and for the record: there is no european
postgresql user group (yet) - so a general list seems vastly appropriate
for discussing "general" european stuff.
If we ever get a european user group we can simply add a list for that
but what we now need is a list to discuss general topics and only time
will tell if we ever need eupug@, pgsql-eu-advocacy@ or nothing at all.

>> But for now, I was asked to arrange a general mailing list, which I have
>> done.
>>

> Except we already had a general european mailing list, so I'm really not clear
> on what the above is meant for accomplishing.

that list was not running on official infrastructure and only meant as a
short term solution until there was enough momentum and interest to put
it on official infrastructure.

Stefan

Re: European users mailing list

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:51:32 -0400 Robert Treat wrote:

> Except we already had a general european mailing list, so I'm really not clear
> on what the above is meant for accomplishing.

That other list is currently running on my host and was just a workaround
until we get an official list. I will port the users to the new list in the next days
and shut down the inofficial list. It seems, we don't need it anymore.

The ML topic was discussed widely in Prato and imho the consent was, that
we start with a 'general' list, more can follow, if needed.

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
 (Ferenc Mantfeld)

"Joshua D. Drake"
Dave Page wrote:

>>> If it's not a general list, why did you name it "general"?  That will
>>> certainly cause confusion.  It sounds like -eu-advocacy might have
>>> been better.
>> +1 -eu-advocacy seems to make more sense.
>
> With all due repect JD, you were not at the meeting at which this was
> discussed and are presumably unaware that we discussed more than just
> 'advocacy'.

Fair enough, at least from my perspective it seems odd to have -general
because we have pgsql-general and the immediate reaction is going to be,
oh I am in EU and have general technical questions.

*shrug* if it has all been worked out, so be it. I just think it will be
confusing.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/