proposed OSCON talk accepted

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Folks,

FYI: My proposed talk on how to create an Ubuntu based live CD (pg_live) has been accepted at OSCON! This is a great
opportunityto talk about postgres to those people who may not be following the database track at OSCON.

cheers

Robert

> Dear Robert,
>
> Congratulations! You have been accepted as a presenter for
> the O'Reilly Open Source Convention 2007 at the
> Oregon Convention Center, July 23, 2007 - July 27, 2007.
>
> The following has been accepted as a session for the event:
>
> "Wrapping Your own Live CD"
>
> We're still building the program and so will be determining final session
> date and time shortly.  The program schedule is subject to change.
> Please confirm by return email that you will be able to participate.
>
> You'll be notified as soon as Speaker Registration is open.

Re: proposed OSCON talk accepted

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> FYI: My proposed talk on how to create an Ubuntu based live CD (pg_live)
> has been accepted at OSCON! This is a great opportunity to talk about
> postgres to those people who may not be following the database track at
> OSCON.

As well we have:
Robert Treat doing "Pro PostgreSQL" tutorial
Me doing "Performance Whack-a-Mole"
David Wheeler doing "PostgreSQL GEMs" to talk about PL/Ruby
Someone I don't know personally doing a talk on migrating from MySQL to
PostgreSQL.

And, of course, I'm doing "State of Lightning Talks" like last year.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: proposed OSCON talk accepted

From
"Dan Langille"
Date:
On 29 Mar 2007 at 10:05, Josh Berkus wrote:

> All,
>
> > FYI: My proposed talk on how to create an Ubuntu based live CD (pg_live)
> > has been accepted at OSCON! This is a great opportunity to talk about
> > postgres to those people who may not be following the database track at
> > OSCON.
>
> As well we have:
> Robert Treat doing "Pro PostgreSQL" tutorial
> Me doing "Performance Whack-a-Mole"
> David Wheeler doing "PostgreSQL GEMs" to talk about PL/Ruby
> Someone I don't know personally doing a talk on migrating from MySQL to
> PostgreSQL.
>
> And, of course, I'm doing "State of Lightning Talks" like last year.

And me doing "Nobody ever regretted doing a backup" (Bacula,
PostgreSQL)...

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php

Re: proposed OSCON talk accepted

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> FYI: My proposed talk on how to create an Ubuntu based live CD (pg_live)
> has been accepted at OSCON! This is a great opportunity to talk about
> postgres to those people who may not be following the database track at
> OSCON.

Speaking of which, where is the link to the latest live cd?  We need to print
some for Brazil ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: proposed OSCON talk accepted

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Hi Josh,

On Friday 30 March 2007 00:26, Josh Berkus wrote:
> where is the link to the latest live cd?  We need to print
> some for Brazil ...

http://www.nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=Library;SUBM=10101

I've updated the documentation to include a fairly detailed article on SLONY. I've also updated to pgpool II along and
includedsome scripts. I will eventually get around to writing articles for both pgpool-II and pljava too.

cheers

robert

Re: proposed OSCON talk accepted

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Robert,

I think that it's possible to have some part of www.postgresql.org
to be indexed using tsearch2 and simple php frontend to search form
and show result.

Oleg
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Robert Bernier wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> On Friday 30 March 2007 00:26, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> where is the link to the latest live cd?  We need to print
>> some for Brazil ...
>

> http://www.nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=Library;SUBM=10101
>
> I've updated the documentation to include a fairly detailed article on SLONY. I've also updated to pgpool II along
andincluded some scripts. I will eventually get around to writing articles for both pgpool-II and pljava too.

> cheers
>
> robert

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: proposed OSCON talk accepted

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Robert,
>
> I think that it's possible to have some part of www.postgresql.org
> to be indexed using tsearch2 and simple php frontend to search form
> and show result.

You mean like search.postgresql.org ? :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> Robert,
>>
>> I think that it's possible to have some part of www.postgresql.org
>> to be indexed using tsearch2 and simple php frontend to search form
>> and show result.
>

> You mean like search.postgresql.org ? :)

why not :? But, I see no problem to have www.postgresql.org indexed, for
example. It's about 12000 documents, which would be quite useful anyway

Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>>> Robert,
>>>
>>> I think that it's possible to have some part of www.postgresql.org
>>> to be indexed using tsearch2 and simple php frontend to search form
>>> and show result.
>>

>> You mean like search.postgresql.org ? :)
>
> why not :? But, I see no problem to have www.postgresql.org indexed, for
> example. It's about 12000 documents, which would be quite useful anyway

I think someone (me or you :)) is confused. http://search.postgresql.org
does index www.postgresql.org.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov wrote:

>>> You mean like search.postgresql.org ? :)
>>
>> why not :? But, I see no problem to have www.postgresql.org indexed, for
>> example. It's about 12000 documents, which would be quite useful anyway
>
> I think someone (me or you :)) is confused. http://search.postgresql.org does
> index www.postgresql.org.

I know that, thanks. I mean, that having search engine on pg live cd would be
good for demonstration. gzipped dump of pgweb with www.postgresql.org content
is about 23 Mb and anyone can install it on his computer and use it
offline. search.postgresql.org is too large.

Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Oleg Bartunov wrote:

>>> why not :? But, I see no problem to have www.postgresql.org indexed, for
>>> example. It's about 12000 documents, which would be quite useful anyway
>>
>> I think someone (me or you :)) is confused.
>> http://search.postgresql.org does index www.postgresql.org.
>
> I know that, thanks. I mean, that having search engine on pg live cd
> would be
> good for demonstration. gzipped dump of pgweb with www.postgresql.org
> content
> is about 23 Mb and anyone can install it on his computer and use it
> offline. search.postgresql.org is too large.

Ahh o.k. it was me that was confused :)

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: proposed OSCON talk accepted

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Hi Oleg,

On Friday 30 March 2007 12:36, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> ...... having search engine on pg live cd would be
> good for demonstration. gzipped dump of pgweb with www.postgresql.org content
> is about 23 Mb and anyone can install it on his computer and use it
> offline....

Sounds like a good idea. Where are the required files and scripts?

Robert

Date:
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, Robert Bernier wrote:

> Hi Oleg,

>> ...... having search engine on pg live cd would be
>> good for demonstration. gzipped dump of pgweb with www.postgresql.org content
>> is about 23 Mb and anyone can install it on his computer and use it
>> offline....
>

> Sounds like a good idea. Where are the required files and scripts?

Magnus, how is difficult to provide Robert dump and content of
www.postgresql.org (I think documentation part would be enough) ?

> Robert

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: proposed OSCON talk accepted

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:

>>> ...... having search engine on pg live cd would be
>>> good for demonstration. gzipped dump of pgweb with www.postgresql.org
>>> content
>>> is about 23 Mb and anyone can install it on his computer and use it
>>> offline....
>>

>> Sounds like a good idea. Where are the required files and scripts?
>
> Magnus, how is difficult to provide Robert dump and content of
> www.postgresql.org (I think documentation part would be enough) ?

Yeah we can do that, but does it help without having the actual
contents? It might be better to work off a copy of the static website,
and then use the indexing scripts that are already in the pgweb cvs tree
to build the tsearch indexes?

//Magnus

Date:
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Sounds like a good idea. Where are the required files and scripts?
>>
>> Magnus, how is difficult to provide Robert dump and content of
>> www.postgresql.org (I think documentation part would be enough) ?
>
> Yeah we can do that, but does it help without having the actual
> contents? It might be better to work off a copy of the static website,
> and then use the indexing scripts that are already in the pgweb cvs tree
> to build the tsearch indexes?

Yes, this is what I meant. Provide static content and scripts for indexing,
search form and display search results.

Date:

>>> Magnus, how is difficult to provide Robert dump and content of
>>> www.postgresql.org (I think documentation part would be enough) ?
>>
>> Yeah we can do that, but does it help without having the actual
>> contents? It might be better to work off a copy of the static website,
>> and then use the indexing scripts that are already in the pgweb cvs tree
>> to build the tsearch indexes?
>
> Yes, this is what I meant. Provide static content and scripts for indexing,
> search form and display search results.

If you want any chance to update it, I suggest setting up a local
repository of the website, and build it from there. If not, I can get
you a one-time tarball of what's on the site now, but we currently have
no way of doing that regularly.

//Magnus

Date:
On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Yeah we can do that, but does it help without having the actual
>>> contents? It might be better to work off a copy of the static website,
>>> and then use the indexing scripts that are already in the pgweb cvs tree
>>> to build the tsearch indexes?
>>
>> Yes, this is what I meant. Provide static content and scripts for indexing,
>> search form and display search results.
>
> If you want any chance to update it, I suggest setting up a local
> repository of the website, and build it from there. If not, I can get
> you a one-time tarball of what's on the site now, but we currently have
> no way of doing that regularly.

ok, how can I rsync web site ? Also, I forgot where is www code ?
I think, in future we could setup automatic procedure for building
pg_live, including rsync web-site, reindex.

Robert, I discussed this with Nikolay and Ivan, they will produce
pg_live with searchable www.postgresql.org.

Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:

>>> Yes, this is what I meant. Provide static content and scripts for
>>> indexing,
>>> search form and display search results.
>>
>> If you want any chance to update it, I suggest setting up a local
>> repository of the website, and build it from there. If not, I can get
>> you a one-time tarball of what's on the site now, but we currently have
>> no way of doing that regularly.
>
> ok, how can I rsync web site ?

We need your IP to add to the list of allowed rsync clients.

> Also, I forgot where is www code ?

It's on gborg, project "pgweb", in cvs module "portal". The search code,
specifically, is in tools/search/ and system/page/search.php.

> I think, in future we could setup automatic procedure for building
> pg_live, including rsync web-site, reindex.

Sounds good!

//Magnus