Recommendation of a slogan for PostgreSQL 8.2

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
After rereading the "Whats new" section of http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease,
I recommend that PostgreSQL 8.2 should get a slogan "the polished release"

   PostgreSQL 8.2 - the polished release

as a branding.

Because there are a great number of very important small additions. And as stated by Josh a substantial performance improvement. But I cannot see any single "big point" like the constraint exclusion from 8.1 or the WIN32 runability of 8.0.

And I think that's something PostgreSQL can and should be proud of: it is capable of releaseing a version with a miriad of small, helpfull improvements - without caring of having some "must-switch-elements" like commercial vendors need.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: Recommendation of a slogan for PostgreSQL 8.2

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 18:21 +0200, Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> After rereading the "Whats new" section of http://momjian.us/cgi-
> bin/pgrelease,
> I recommend that PostgreSQL 8.2 should get a slogan "the polished
> release"
>
>    PostgreSQL 8.2 - the polished release

Just my opinion, but that doesn't sound like a catchy slogan.

I think it might be a good idea to just say "performance". It is more of
a statement because, in some circles, people do not associate PostgreSQL
with performance, and it might be a good opportunity to ask them to re-
evaluate PostgreSQL's performance.

If we link to a simple performance guide, maybe that will get more
people testing with settings other than the defaults. Maybe it would be
useful to make a more directly-targeted guide like "before you benchmark
PostgreSQL...". This guide could help people compare apples to apples.
For instance, if they leave fsync on, make sure the database they
compare against also protects the data.

However, if we say "polish", who are we converting with that statement?
PostgreSQL already has a polished perception. Maybe "usability" might be
better?

Both of my suggestions have already been mentioned, so I'm not claiming
that these are my ideas.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Recommendation of a slogan for PostgreSQL 8.2

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
>    PostgreSQL 8.2 - the polished release

That would seem to indicate that other releases are not polished, which
is not an idea I would want to get out.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Recommendation of a slogan for

Date:
I think we are going to say something like "This release touches almost
every command and database facility, adding often-requested additions
the user community has requested."

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: Recommendation of a slogan for

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> I think we are going to say something like "This release touches almost
> every command and database facility, adding often-requested additions
> the user community has requested."

Terrific, quote added to the draft.   ;-)

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Recommendation of a slogan for

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > I think we are going to say something like "This release touches almost
> > every command and database facility, adding often-requested additions
> > the user community has requested."
>
> Terrific, quote added to the draft.   ;-)

Sorry, "requested" and "adding/additions" was used too much.

This release touches almost every command and database facility, adding
often-requested features the user community has been waiting for."

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: Recommendation of a slogan for (Postgres 8.2)

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Recommendation of a slogan for (Postgres 8.2)

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> Bruce, it looks like your email client is the one
> truncating the subject lines?

It's not the only one, and as I said, I doubt it's the mail client.  I
suggest Bruce looks at his "sent-mail" folder and check whether the mail
he actually sent has a truncated subject or not.  My guess is it doesn't.

Just today, both Michelle (I forget her last name) and Martijn van
Oosterhout (sorry if misspelled) posted with truncated subjects.  I'm
not sure why Michelle's first post wasn't truncated -- a guess is that
the truncate only happens to replies, not to the first email of a
thread.  May this have something to do with the processing of the
[pgsql-foo] thing?

Oh, and I think I just noticed an unrelated bugs.  It's not uncommon on
the pgsql-es-ayuda list to have the [pgsql-es-ayuda] stuff prepended
over and over again, like

Subject: [pgsql-es-ayuda] Re: [pgsql-es-ayuda] Re: [pgsql-es-ayuda] the real subject here

(which makes the whole business of truncating subjects a lot more
annoying obviously)

My guess is that with funny subjects (i.e. those that get MIME-escaped),
it (the prefix) gets mangled to the point that Majordomo doesn't
recognize it, so it prepends it again leading to that dumb behavior.

Re: Recommendation of a slogan for (Postgres

Date:
What email should I check?

--

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> What email should I check?

Please check this one:

Re: Recommendation of a slogan for (Postgres

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > What email should I check?
>
> Please check this one:
>
> From: Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
> To: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> CC: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>, pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
> Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 15:44:39 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: sslinfo contrib module -

I download the mbox file for hackers and see only this line if I look at
the mbox file:

  Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: sslinfo contrib module - information about current SSL

What should I see?  It looks the same in my mail reader.  I mailed it to
myself and it still looks the same.

--

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > What email should I check?
> >
> > Please check this one:
> >
> > From: Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
> > To: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> > CC: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>, pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
> > Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 15:44:39 -0400 (EDT)
> > Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: sslinfo contrib module -
>
> I download the mbox file for hackers and see only this line if I look at
> the mbox file:
>
>   Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: sslinfo contrib module - information about current SSL
>
> What should I see?  It looks the same in my mail reader.  I mailed it to
> myself and it still looks the same.

Um, I don't understand what you are saying.  I downloaded this mbox:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/mbox/pgsql-hackers.2006-09.gz

and I see this: