Main page: about us

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Main page: about us

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 28 July 2006 17:15, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> The main page (www.postgresql.org/) no longer states anywhere
> except in the top banner graphic what exactly PostgreSQL *is*.
> I think we need to change it back to the pre-conference
> version which stated "PostgreSQL is a highly-scalable, SQL
> compliant, open source ..." and strive to keep the text there.
> We can replace other areas (e.g. the "Featured User") box when
> something important like the conference wrap up needs to be on
> the main page.

Yeah, cause a lot of people accidentally type in postgresql and end up on our
page wondering what we are.  ;-D

--
Robert Treat

Re: Main page: about us

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Main page: about us

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>>

>> The main page (www.postgresql.org/) no longer states anywhere
>> except in the top banner graphic what exactly PostgreSQL *is*.
>> I think we need to change it back to the pre-conference
>> version which stated "PostgreSQL is a highly-scalable, SQL
>> compliant, open source ..." and strive to keep the text there.
>> We can replace other areas (e.g. the "Featured User") box when
>> something important like the conference wrap up needs to be on
>> the main page.
>
> I don't agree. Most people know what PostgreSQL is. People will also not
> likely "fall" upon us.
>
> We need to be advocating in the loudest reasonable voice (which is that part
> of the main page) everything that is going on. I am still irritated we didn't
> get our presence at OSCON up there (partially my fault).

IMHO, what we are should be on the main page, if not for 'real visitors',
but for search engines themselves ... maybe a new section should be added
for "Project Events", or something like that?  Seperate from Upcoming
Events ...

----

Re: Main page: about us

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> I don't agree. Most people know what PostgreSQL is. People will also
>> not likely "fall" upon us.
>>
>> We need to be advocating in the loudest reasonable voice (which is
>> that part of the main page) everything that is going on. I am still
>> irritated we didn't get our presence at OSCON up there (partially my
>> fault).
>
> IMHO, what we are should be on the main page, if not for 'real
> visitors', but for search engines themselves ...

That is what:

<title></title>
and
<META NAME="keywords">
<META NAME="description">

Is for.

> maybe a new section
> should be added for "Project Events", or something like that?  Seperate
> from Upcoming Events ...

We have an events section on the right hand side. However websites
traditionally use the space in question to "advertise" what is going on
with whatever the project/product/service is about...

That big front area should be continually updated with new and exciting
things that are going on within the project.

OSCON, OSBC, LISA, Upcoming Feature Freeze... Beta...

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

>       match

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Main page: about us

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
Robert,

Yeah, cause a lot of people accidentally type in postgresql and end up on our
page wondering what we are.  ;-D

In fact they do. At least I do this every day: I find a word I do not understand, highlight it, right klick and search in Google.
Hopefully www.postgresql.org is on high page rank for searches for  PostgreSQL.

So there ARE a lot of people dropping to www.postgresql.org to find out what it is.
It is nearly agreed within the web usability communities, that a clear information
"what is this about" is the most important thing of the "homepage".

at least:
"PostgreSQL is a highly-scalable, SQL compliant, open source database"

My 3 cents,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: Main page: about us

From
Anastasios Hatzis
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> IMHO, what we are should be on the main page, if not for 'real
>> visitors', but for search engines themselves ...
>
> That is what:
>
> <title></title>
> and
> <META NAME="keywords">
> <META NAME="description">
>
> Is for.

AFAIK search-engines actually don't care anymore for meta keywords and
meta description. The matching keywords have to be in the visible part
of the HTML document - else they are ignored. Plus ranking in
search-engines regarding a keyword like 'dbms' is more influenced if
found in pages on other sites that are linking to postgresql.org. So, if
anyone with a web-site or blog is setting a link to www.postgresql.org
inside his text, ex.

...blahblah and my favorite is the most advanced <a
href="http://www.postgresql.org">open-source DBMS PostgreSQL </a> ..blahblah

may result, that this link to pg site is connected and higher weighted
with the keywords 'open-source' and 'DBMS' and 'PostgreSQL' with-in the
link, and given enough people using these keywords in their links to pg
site will improve ranking much more than using the keywords only on pg
start page or outside the link.

However, search-engines' strategies are changing fast and it is hard for
site operators' to keep search-engine optimization up-to-date. I even
can't give guarantee that the information I provided here may not be
already out-dated.

Anastasios

Re: Main page: about us

From
Anastasios Hatzis
Date:
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> Robert,
>
>     Yeah, cause a lot of people accidentally type in postgresql and
>     end up on our
>     page wondering what we are.  ;-D
>

> In fact they do. At least I do this every day: I find a word I do not
> understand, highlight it, right klick and search in Google.
> Hopefully www.postgresql.org <http://www.postgresql.org> is on high
> page rank for searches for  PostgreSQL.
>
> So there ARE a lot of people dropping to www.postgresql.org
> <http://www.postgresql.org> to find out what it is.
> It is nearly agreed within the web usability communities, that a clear
> information
> "what is this about" is the most important thing of the "homepage".

In the case that someone - after seeing an interesting word like
postgresql - can spend the time to start the browser, browse to
search-engine, browsing several results (hopefully at first
www.postgresql.org) and then coming to the entry page, I'm rather sure,
that then he will be still interested enough and will also have the
three seconds to do another click on the 'About' link which is placed on
a very common and highly visible place on the left corner below the
logo. :-)

And in addition there is still the key sentence on PostgreSQL on the
right side, very eye-catching, too: "The world's most advanced
open-source database'.

> -
> on different matter:
> EuroPython 2006 is over. It was a GREAT conference. If you missed it,
> now you can prepare budget for visiting EuroPython 2007.
Harald, do you know if there are transcripts or presentation slides of
the presentations hold on the EuroPython 2006 I couldn't take part of?

Anastasios

--

Anastasios Hatzis
Hochgratweg 4

Tel: +49-163-6919728

Re: Main page: about us

From
Anastasios Hatzis
Date:
Anastasios Hatzis wrote:
> And in addition there is still the key sentence on PostgreSQL on the
> right side, very eye-catching, too: "The world's most advanced
> open-source database'.
Uhm, but probably this text should be linked with the 'About' page
instead of the home page?

Anastasios

Re: Main page: about us

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Anastasios Hatzis wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> IMHO, what we are should be on the main page, if not for 'real
>>> visitors', but for search engines themselves ...
>>
>> That is what:
>>
>> <title></title>
>> and
>> <META NAME="keywords">
>> <META NAME="description">
>>
>> Is for.
>
> AFAIK search-engines actually don't care anymore for meta keywords and
> meta description. The matching keywords have to be in the visible part
> of the HTML document - else they are ignored. Plus ranking in
> search-engines regarding a keyword like 'dbms' is more influenced if
> found in pages on other sites that are linking to postgresql.org. So, if
> anyone with a web-site or blog is setting a link to www.postgresql.org
> inside his text, ex.

You may be correct on that. I do know that they give a whole lot of care
about the <title> though.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Main page: about us

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Main page: about us

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Main page: about us

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> Joshua D .Drake replied:
>>
>>> I don't agree. Most people know what PostgreSQL is. People will
>>> also not likely "fall" upon us.
>>

>> I stand by my assertion: the main page should absolutely say
>> what Postgres is. Take a look at what other .org projects have
>> as the first text on their pages:
>

> I am not disagreeing with that :) I am saying we shouldn't use the nice
> big box to do it. Not to mention our site does say it... right at the
> top on the right hand side.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/
> "The world's most advance open source database."
>
> So what is the problem? ;0

According to the "Web Style Guide", Second Edition the tag line should
be closer to the logo.  :-)

That is; in a more prominent position so the first time visitor knows
right off what the site is ( about ).

For the left-to-right reader it is not visually _there_.

This is not to say I don't like the site ( and I am not a professional
designer ) but that it doesn't exactly fit this (WSG) guide/research.

I had never noticed this until this thread came up.  I was always
looking for the section; docs, downloads, warm-fuzzy's; I needed not
looking at the site.

What could, IMHO, look really neat is a tag-line under the logo/header
area but above the menu bar.  I was really taken with humorous tag line
that floated through a few months ago.

"Huge database power for peanuts."  or was it "Mammoth database power
for peanuts." ( Josh? )

Rod
--

>> http://www.perl.org/
>> "Perl is a stable, cross platform programming language..."
>>
>> http://www.php.org/
>> "PHP is a widely-used general-purpose scripting language..."
>> Amen to that. We could certainly be using our screen real estate more
>> effectively as well: see www.python.org for a good example. There's
>> more I could say about the page, but I want to keep this thread focused
>> on getting some "who we are" text back on the main page, as soon as
>> possible.
>

> See above ;)
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> - --
>> Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
>> PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200607291214
>> http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

>> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Re: Main page: about us

From
Anastasios Hatzis
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> You may be correct on that. I do know that they give a whole lot of
> care about the <title> though.

I think this is also correct. It's said that Google uses around 100
factors influencing page ranking, but I don't know whether it's true or
just propaganda ;-)

Re: Main page: about us

From
mdean
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>I wrote:
>

>>>The main page (www.postgresql.org/) no longer states anywhere
>>>except in the top banner graphic what exactly PostgreSQL *is*.
>>>

>Joshua D .Drake replied:
>

>>I don't agree. Most people know what PostgreSQL is. People will
>>also not likely "fall" upon us.
>>

>I stand by my assertion: the main page should absolutely say
>what Postgres is. Take a look at what other .org projects have
>as the first text on their pages:
>
>http://www.python.org/
>"Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language..."
>
>http://www.gimp.org/
>"GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program."
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/
>"FreeBSD is an advanced operating system for..."
>
>http://www.linux.org/
>"Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created..."
>
>http://www.perl.org/
>"Perl is a stable, cross platform programming language..."
>
>http://www.php.org/
>"PHP is a widely-used general-purpose scripting language..."
>
>I see no evidence that they are all wrong, and you are right. :)
>

>>We need to be advocating in the loudest reasonable voice (which is that
>>part of the main page) everything that is going on.
>>

>Amen to that. We could certainly be using our screen real estate more
>effectively as well: see www.python.org for a good example. There's
>more I could say about the page, but I want to keep this thread focused
>on getting some "who we are" text back on the main page, as soon as possible.
>
>- --
>Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
>PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200607291214
>http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

>TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

I would be much more comfortable with the postgresql community if its
front page were more informative and sales oriented to general newbies
from all walks of life, without making unverifiable assumptions that
"everyone knows".  People are not going to be sold on postgresql because
of an elephant button, or a long winded fact page that only programmers
understand, or a reference CD nobody will use.  I would like to see
sales oriented stuff on the top turf:: vision statement, philosophy of
the community (see Debian and Gentoo), motto,  value proposition, goals
and objectives, etc.  devote the entire one third left column to
testimonials from companies using pg, and finally, if you are going to
change the name, keep it to two syllables that are conceptual in nature,
not an insider's reference to the past.  JMTCWAAN

Re: Main page: about us

From
Alvaro Herrera
mdean wrote:

> I would be much more comfortable with the postgresql community if its
> front page were more informative and sales oriented to general newbies
> from all walks of life, without making unverifiable assumptions that
> "everyone knows".  People are not going to be sold on postgresql because
> of an elephant button, or a long winded fact page that only programmers
> understand, or a reference CD nobody will use.  I would like to see
> sales oriented stuff on the top turf:: vision statement, philosophy of
> the community (see Debian and Gentoo), motto,  value proposition, goals
> and objectives, etc.  devote the entire one third left column to
> testimonials from companies using pg, and finally, if you are going to
> change the name, keep it to two syllables that are conceptual in nature,
> not an insider's reference to the past.  JMTCWAAN

This opinion I concur with.  We could even have a
two-conceptual-syllabes nice name:  Postgres.

Not that I'm up for doing any of this though, but talk is cheap.

(What's a conceptual syllabe anyway?)

Re: Main page: about us

From
mdean
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>mdean wrote:
>

>>I would be much more comfortable with the postgresql community if its
>>front page were more informative and sales oriented to general newbies
>>from all walks of life, without making unverifiable assumptions that
>>"everyone knows".  People are not going to be sold on postgresql because
>>of an elephant button, or a long winded fact page that only programmers
>>understand, or a reference CD nobody will use.  I would like to see
>>sales oriented stuff on the top turf:: vision statement, philosophy of
>>the community (see Debian and Gentoo), motto,  value proposition, goals
>>and objectives, etc.  devote the entire one third left column to
>>testimonials from companies using pg, and finally, if you are going to
>>change the name, keep it to two syllables that are conceptual in nature,
>>not an insider's reference to the past.  JMTCWAAN
>>

>This opinion I concur with.  We could even have a
>two-conceptual-syllabes nice name:  Postgres.
>
>Not that I'm up for doing any of this though, but talk is cheap.
>
>(What's a conceptual syllabe anyway?)

a conceptual syllable is one which is immediately recognizable to the
average guy on the street.  For instance, post has concepts -- we see a
post sticking out of the ground, a good concept, but not relevant to the
product.  Hoever, gres defies mental imagery, it is constructual, like
the id, ego, and superego, not rooted in the everyday experiences of
man, subject to horrendous definition and redefinition, and
unmeasurable.  SQL, in the everyday concepts of educated persons, is
more of a concept than a construct, and when coupled with MY, produces a
powerful image set. I believe that a huge portion of the play MYSQL is
getting relies solely on its name - it is almost a self-fullfilling
prophecy - it allows one to take ownership. This is in contrast to
Postgresql, which leaves one indifferent, or cold, and certainly without
a solid intrinisic understanding of what it is.  Imagery plays an
important role in trademarking and logo production.

Re: Main page: about us

From
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Date:
On Tuesday 1. August 2006 00:23, mdean wrote:
>a conceptual syllable is one which is immediately recognizable to the
>average guy on the street.  For instance, post has concepts -- we see
> a post sticking out of the ground, a good concept, but not relevant
> to the product.  Hoever, gres defies mental imagery, it is
> constructual, like the id, ego, and superego, not rooted in the
> everyday experiences of man, subject to horrendous definition and
> redefinition, and
>unmeasurable.  SQL, in the everyday concepts of educated persons, is
>more of a concept than a construct, and when coupled with MY, produces
> a powerful image set. I believe that a huge portion of the play MYSQL
> is getting relies solely on its name - it is almost a
> self-fullfilling prophecy - it allows one to take ownership. This is
> in contrast to Postgresql, which leaves one indifferent, or cold, and
> certainly without a solid intrinisic understanding of what it is.
> Imagery plays an important role in trademarking and logo production.

I do agree with you. PostgreSQL is an ugly and unwieldy name, while
MySQL sounds like a name conceived up above. So, based on your
arguments, what would you propose? PostSQL? PoSQL? Or maybe something
out of the blue like YourSQL?

May I propose FreeSQL?
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE

Re: Main page: about us

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Monday 31 July 2006 19:18, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
>... PostgreSQL is an ugly and unwieldy name, while
> MySQL sounds like a name conceived up above. So, based on your
> arguments, what would you propose? PostSQL? PoSQL? Or maybe something
> out of the blue like YourSQL?
>
> May I propose FreeSQL?

In that case, why not BSD SQL? (not really, I'm only kidding)

Re: Main page: about us

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> > MySQL sounds like a name conceived up above. So, based on your
> > arguments, what would you propose? PostSQL? PoSQL? Or maybe something
> > out of the blue like YourSQL?
> >
> > May I propose FreeSQL?
>
> In that case, why not BSD SQL? (not really, I'm only kidding)

"EnterpriseDB" has a nice ring to it.   ;-)

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Main page: about us

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
>>> MySQL sounds like a name conceived up above. So, based on your
>>> arguments, what would you propose? PostSQL? PoSQL? Or maybe something
>>> out of the blue like YourSQL?
>>>
>>> May I propose FreeSQL?
>> In that case, why not BSD SQL? (not really, I'm only kidding)
>
> "EnterpriseDB" has a nice ring to it.   ;-)

Well enterprisedb.org is taken by a commercial organization. How about
WeAreNotChangingTheFreakingNameOfPostgreSQL.Org ?

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Main page: about us

From
mdean
Date:
Leif B. Kristensen wrote:

>On Tuesday 1. August 2006 00:23, mdean wrote:
>

>>a conceptual syllable is one which is immediately recognizable to the
>>average guy on the street.  For instance, post has concepts -- we see
>>a post sticking out of the ground, a good concept, but not relevant
>>to the product.  Hoever, gres defies mental imagery, it is
>>constructual, like the id, ego, and superego, not rooted in the
>>everyday experiences of man, subject to horrendous definition and
>>redefinition, and
>>unmeasurable.  SQL, in the everyday concepts of educated persons, is
>>more of a concept than a construct, and when coupled with MY, produces
>>a powerful image set. I believe that a huge portion of the play MYSQL
>>is getting relies solely on its name - it is almost a
>>self-fullfilling prophecy - it allows one to take ownership. This is
>>in contrast to Postgresql, which leaves one indifferent, or cold, and
>>certainly without a solid intrinisic understanding of what it is.
>>Imagery plays an important role in trademarking and logo production.
>>

>I do agree with you. PostgreSQL is an ugly and unwieldy name, while
>MySQL sounds like a name conceived up above. So, based on your
>arguments, what would you propose? PostSQL? PoSQL? Or maybe something
>out of the blue like YourSQL?
>
>May I propose FreeSQL?

well, after lots of real thought over months, I intend to rename it
Synthesis 2007. a tradmark I own, and take it commercial ala Bizgress.

Re: Main page: about us

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 05:07:41PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> >All,

> >>In that case, why not BSD SQL? (not really, I'm only kidding)
> >
> >"EnterpriseDB" has a nice ring to it.   ;-)
>
> Well enterprisedb.org is taken by a commercial organization. How
> about WeAreNotChangingTheFreakingNameOfPostgreSQL.Org ?

"Change the sacred name of [PostgreSQL]?!?  No!"

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: Main page: about us

From
mdean
Date:
David Fetter wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 05:07:41PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>Josh Berkus wrote:
>>

>>>All,

>>>"EnterpriseDB" has a nice ring to it.   ;-)
>>>

>>Well enterprisedb.org is taken by a commercial organization. How
>>about WeAreNotChangingTheFreakingNameOfPostgreSQL.Org ?
>>

>"Change the sacred name of [PostgreSQL]?!?  No!"
>
>Cheers,

how about popsql?

Re: Main page: about us

From
Anastasios Hatzis
mdean wrote:
>  the product.  Hoever, gres defies mental imagery, it is constructual,
> like the id, ego, and superego, not rooted in the everyday experiences
> of man, subject to horrendous definition and redefinition, and
> unmeasurable.  SQL, in
Oops, 'gres' in PostgreSQL has a meaning? I can't find 'gres' in my
dictionary. I ever thought it's just an abbreviation or insider thing. :-)

However, I already emphasized that the name in the current form is a
serious problem in Germany. Based on my personal experience in the past
years I guess that 80% of the IT editors and DB experts are only
guessing how PostgreSQL is pronounced, most of them are short it to
'Postgres' to prevent disgracing themselves. And I would also bet that
95% are clueless what it could mean.

I don't know, whether these are problems for native English speakers or not.

But I can assure you that both problems are by far not so present at
other DBMS product names, ex. DB2, Oracle, MS-SQL, MySQL, where
pronouncation and meaning (mental imagery) are obvious for the majority
of German IT people.

However, I very much like this product and the community behind it. And
I'm very glad that usage and design of PostgreSQL is not as
incomprehensible and unclear as its name make people think that don't
have personal expierence with this database. :-)

Anastasios

Re: Main page: about us

From
Chris Mair
Date:
> >  the product.  Hoever, gres defies mental imagery, it is constructual,
> > like the id, ego, and superego, not rooted in the everyday experiences
> > of man, subject to horrendous definition and redefinition, and
> > unmeasurable.  SQL, in
> Oops, 'gres' in PostgreSQL has a meaning? I can't find 'gres' in my
> dictionary. I ever thought it's just an abbreviation or insider thing. :-)

Well, Ingres stands for INteractive Graphics REtrieval System according
to Wikipedia. PostgreSQL inherited the letters from there...

Bye, Chris.

Re: Main page: about us

From
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Date:
On Tuesday 1. August 2006 10:47, Chris Mair wrote:
>Well, Ingres stands for INteractive Graphics REtrieval System
> according to Wikipedia. PostgreSQL inherited the letters from
> there...

So, basically PostgreSQL is about graphics retrieval. The interactivity
is a thing of the past, it was traded for an SQL interface.

Sure, that explains everything ;-)
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE