Re: Main page: about us - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Anastasios Hatzis
Subject Re: Main page: about us
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
mdean wrote:
>  the product.  Hoever, gres defies mental imagery, it is constructual,
> like the id, ego, and superego, not rooted in the everyday experiences
> of man, subject to horrendous definition and redefinition, and
> unmeasurable.  SQL, in
Oops, 'gres' in PostgreSQL has a meaning? I can't find 'gres' in my
dictionary. I ever thought it's just an abbreviation or insider thing. :-)

However, I already emphasized that the name in the current form is a
serious problem in Germany. Based on my personal experience in the past
years I guess that 80% of the IT editors and DB experts are only
guessing how PostgreSQL is pronounced, most of them are short it to
'Postgres' to prevent disgracing themselves. And I would also bet that
95% are clueless what it could mean.

I don't know, whether these are problems for native English speakers or not.

But I can assure you that both problems are by far not so present at
other DBMS product names, ex. DB2, Oracle, MS-SQL, MySQL, where
pronouncation and meaning (mental imagery) are obvious for the majority
of German IT people.

However, I very much like this product and the community behind it. And
I'm very glad that usage and design of PostgreSQL is not as
incomprehensible and unclear as its name make people think that don't
have personal expierence with this database. :-)

Anastasios