Re: Main page: about us - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Leif B. Kristensen
Subject Re: Main page: about us
Date
Re: Main page: about us  (mdean <mdean@xn1.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 1. August 2006 00:23, mdean wrote:
>a conceptual syllable is one which is immediately recognizable to the
>average guy on the street.  For instance, post has concepts -- we see
> a post sticking out of the ground, a good concept, but not relevant
> to the product.  Hoever, gres defies mental imagery, it is
> constructual, like the id, ego, and superego, not rooted in the
> everyday experiences of man, subject to horrendous definition and
> redefinition, and
>unmeasurable.  SQL, in the everyday concepts of educated persons, is
>more of a concept than a construct, and when coupled with MY, produces
> a powerful image set. I believe that a huge portion of the play MYSQL
> is getting relies solely on its name - it is almost a
> self-fullfilling prophecy - it allows one to take ownership. This is
> in contrast to Postgresql, which leaves one indifferent, or cold, and
> certainly without a solid intrinisic understanding of what it is.
> Imagery plays an important role in trademarking and logo production.

I do agree with you. PostgreSQL is an ugly and unwieldy name, while
MySQL sounds like a name conceived up above. So, based on your
arguments, what would you propose? PostSQL? PoSQL? Or maybe something
out of the blue like YourSQL?

May I propose FreeSQL?
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE