Re: Main page: about us - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Roderick A. Anderson
Subject Re: Main page: about us
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> Joshua D .Drake replied:
>>
>>> I don't agree. Most people know what PostgreSQL is. People will
>>> also not likely "fall" upon us.
>>

>> I stand by my assertion: the main page should absolutely say
>> what Postgres is. Take a look at what other .org projects have
>> as the first text on their pages:
>

> I am not disagreeing with that :) I am saying we shouldn't use the nice
> big box to do it. Not to mention our site does say it... right at the
> top on the right hand side.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/
> "The world's most advance open source database."
>
> So what is the problem? ;0

According to the "Web Style Guide", Second Edition the tag line should
be closer to the logo.  :-)

That is; in a more prominent position so the first time visitor knows
right off what the site is ( about ).

For the left-to-right reader it is not visually _there_.

This is not to say I don't like the site ( and I am not a professional
designer ) but that it doesn't exactly fit this (WSG) guide/research.

I had never noticed this until this thread came up.  I was always
looking for the section; docs, downloads, warm-fuzzy's; I needed not
looking at the site.

What could, IMHO, look really neat is a tag-line under the logo/header
area but above the menu bar.  I was really taken with humorous tag line
that floated through a few months ago.

"Huge database power for peanuts."  or was it "Mammoth database power
for peanuts." ( Josh? )

Rod