Re: Main page: about us - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Anastasios Hatzis
Subject Re: Main page: about us
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> Robert,
>
>     Yeah, cause a lot of people accidentally type in postgresql and
>     end up on our
>     page wondering what we are.  ;-D
>

> In fact they do. At least I do this every day: I find a word I do not
> understand, highlight it, right klick and search in Google.
> Hopefully www.postgresql.org <http://www.postgresql.org> is on high
> page rank for searches for  PostgreSQL.
>
> So there ARE a lot of people dropping to www.postgresql.org
> <http://www.postgresql.org> to find out what it is.
> It is nearly agreed within the web usability communities, that a clear
> information
> "what is this about" is the most important thing of the "homepage".

In the case that someone - after seeing an interesting word like
postgresql - can spend the time to start the browser, browse to
search-engine, browsing several results (hopefully at first
www.postgresql.org) and then coming to the entry page, I'm rather sure,
that then he will be still interested enough and will also have the
three seconds to do another click on the 'About' link which is placed on
a very common and highly visible place on the left corner below the
logo. :-)

And in addition there is still the key sentence on PostgreSQL on the
right side, very eye-catching, too: "The world's most advanced
open-source database'.

> -
> on different matter:
> EuroPython 2006 is over. It was a GREAT conference. If you missed it,
> now you can prepare budget for visiting EuroPython 2007.
Harald, do you know if there are transcripts or presentation slides of
the presentations hold on the EuroPython 2006 I couldn't take part of?

Anastasios

--

Anastasios Hatzis
Hochgratweg 4