postgres conference in july

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Guys,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following...

I'm currently working on a project with the senior economist at the Treasury Board in the Canadian Federal Government.
We'redeveloping a proto-type system, using postgres and plr, generating quarterly reports on all IT expeditures for the
entirefederal govt. It's part of a larger initiative of creating a govt sponsored version of sourceforge to make
availabletools, methodologies and documentation available accross the Canadian public service as well as the general
public.

Would people be interested in hearing of our efforts at the conference i.e. should I make a proposal submission?

cheers

Re: postgres conference in july

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Robert Bernier wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following...
>
> I'm currently working on a project with the senior economist at the Treasury Board in the Canadian Federal
Government.We're developing a proto-type system, using postgres and plr, generating quarterly reports on all IT
expedituresfor the entire federal govt. It's part of a larger initiative of creating a govt sponsored version of
sourceforgeto make available tools, methodologies and documentation available accross the Canadian public service as
wellas the general public.

> Would people be interested in hearing of our efforts at the conference i.e. should I make a proposal submission?

I know I would like to hear that at OSCON. :)

> cheers

Re: postgres conference in july

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
And why not, a  "featured user" quote in the home page when done.

g.-

On 3/27/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Robert Bernier wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following...
> >
> > I'm currently working on a project with the senior economist at the Treasury Board in the Canadian Federal
Government.We're developing a proto-type system, using postgres and plr, generating quarterly reports on all IT
expedituresfor the entire federal govt. It's part of a larger initiative of creating a govt sponsored version of
sourceforgeto make available tools, methodologies and documentation available accross the Canadian public service as
wellas the general public.

> > Would people be interested in hearing of our efforts at the conference i.e. should I make a proposal submission?
>
> I know I would like to hear that at OSCON. :)
>

> > cheers

> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: postgres conference in july

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> Would people be interested in hearing of our efforts at the conference i.e. should I make a proposal submission?

Submit it -- submission is free.  If we decide that it's not suitable
for the conference, or that we don't have enough time, then we'll let
you know.

You'd also better make sure that it's cleared for you to talk about this
stuff.   I know that here in the US a certain central financial
quasi-government body is using Postgres extensively and we can't talk
about it at all.

Unfortunately, it's too late for OSCON.

--Josh

Re: postgres conference in july

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Josh,

I'm going to make a submission to the conference sometime today. I'd appreciate a little guidance as to exactly what
shouldbe talked about. There is of course the technical aspect but another approach is the story telling and the
'politics'of how we got things moving which might be of interest to those who want to replicate the same process in
theirown domain. Certainly, this project has the potential of a spinoff affect in the rest of Canada. I'll leave it up
tothe commitee as to what you would like to see.

On Monday 27 March 2006 18:13, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > Would people be interested in hearing of our efforts at the conference
> > i.e. should I make a proposal submission?
>
> Submit it -- submission is free.  If we decide that it's not suitable
> for the conference, or that we don't have enough time, then we'll let
> you know.
>
> You'd also better make sure that it's cleared for you to talk about this
> stuff.   I know that here in the US a certain central financial
> quasi-government body is using Postgres extensively and we can't talk
> about it at all.
>
> Unfortunately, it's too late for OSCON.
>
> --Josh

Re: postgres conference in july

From
Robert Treat
Date:
If you're doing something novel with the technology (maybe pgpool
hitting against a cluster of 5 cascading replication nodes via slony on
a multi-platform environment or some such) then I'd say go more
technical, otherwise I'd say the politics is probably more interesting.
imho.

Robert Treat

Date:
On Tuesday 28 March 2006 10:49, Robert Treat wrote:
> If you're doing something novel with the technology (maybe pgpool
> hitting against a cluster of 5 cascading replication nodes via slony on
> a multi-platform environment or some such) then I'd say go more
> technical, otherwise I'd say the politics is probably more interesting.
> imho.

I was thinking the politics might be interesting too since there's nothing technically special about the project.