Advertising Space

From
Harry Jackson
Date:
Hi all,

I have some advertising space on my website and would be happy to use
it for some PostgreSQL ads.

I currently use Google ads and they allow me to replace their advert
with one of my own when they are unable to find one suitable for the
page. At the moment this is not really being used for much but I would
be willing to advertise PostgreSQL.

For details on what is required:

http://smallr.com/1c5

I can either host the images on my site or if anyone else is on here
and using adsense then it might be an idea to add the images to the
postgresql website and then everyone can use it.

If nothing else its another link to the PostgreSQL website.

Regards,
Harry
--
http://www.hjackson.org
http://www.uklug.co.uk

Re: Advertising Space

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 06:27, Harry Jackson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have some advertising space on my website and would be happy to use
> it for some PostgreSQL ads.
>
> I currently use Google ads and they allow me to replace their advert
> with one of my own when they are unable to find one suitable for the
> page. At the moment this is not really being used for much but I would
> be willing to advertise PostgreSQL.
>
> For details on what is required:
>
> http://smallr.com/1c5
>
> I can either host the images on my site or if anyone else is on here
> and using adsense then it might be an idea to add the images to the
> postgresql website and then everyone can use it.
>
> If nothing else its another link to the PostgreSQL website.

Hi Harry, this sounds like a really good idea. Can you peruse the
graphics at http://www.postgresql.org/community/propaganda and possibly
at http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000089 and see if there is
anything there that jumps out at you?

Robert Treat

Re: Advertising Space

From
Harry Jackson
Date:
On 16 Dec 2005 10:22:31 -0500, Robert Treat
<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hi Harry, this sounds like a really good idea. Can you peruse the
> graphics at http://www.postgresql.org/community/propaganda and possibly
> at http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000089 and see if there is
> anything there that jumps out at you?

I will have a look at these tomorrow. Google has some very specific
requirements with regards to sizing. If none of them fit I can have a
play with them. Better still, if the person is on here who created the
images then they may be better qualified to sort the images out than
me but I don't mind doing it as a stop gap.

Harry

--
http://www.hjackson.org
http://www.uklug.co.uk

Re: Advertising Space

From
Harry Jackson
Date:
On 16 Dec 2005 10:22:31 -0500, Robert Treat
<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hi Harry, this sounds like a really good idea. Can you peruse the
> graphics at http://www.postgresql.org/community/propaganda and possibly
> at http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000089 and see if there is
> anything there that jumps out at you?

Does anyone know what font was used for the images. The images above
are all the wrong size so I am trying to create some other images from
them.

--
Harry
http://www.hjackson.org

Re: Advertising Space

From
Harry Jackson
Date:
On 16 Dec 2005 10:22:31 -0500, Robert Treat
<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hi Harry, this sounds like a really good idea. Can you peruse the
> graphics at http://www.postgresql.org/community/propaganda and possibly
> at http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000089 and see if there is
> anything there that jumps out at you?

Here are some examples. These images have been thrown together by me
to adhere to the google sizes. If there is some reason that makes them
unsuitable for display (licence, grotesque) let me know and I will
take them off the site.

http://www.uklug.co.uk/images/postgresql-powered-728x90.png

http://www.uklug.co.uk/images/postgresql-powered-160x600.png

The following page should display the 160x600 image.

http://www.uklug.co.uk/cgi-bin/get_job.pl?rss_job_id=20248214

I would appreciate it if someone whos is good at creating images takes
a pop at some better ones. The sizes google require are as follows. An
image for each of these would be ideal so that more people can replace
their unwanted google ads with them.

728 x 90 Leaderboard
468 x 60 Banner
300 x 250 Medium rectangle
160 x 600 Wide Skyscraper
120 x 600 Skyscraper

Harry

http://www.hjackson.org
http://www.uklug.co.uk

Re: Advertising Space

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 17 December 2005 18:00, Harry Jackson wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2005 10:22:31 -0500, Robert Treat
>
> <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > Hi Harry, this sounds like a really good idea. Can you peruse the
> > graphics at http://www.postgresql.org/community/propaganda and possibly
> > at http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000089 and see if there is
> > anything there that jumps out at you?
>
> Here are some examples. These images have been thrown together by me
> to adhere to the google sizes. If there is some reason that makes them
> unsuitable for display (licence, grotesque) let me know and I will
> take them off the site.
>
> http://www.uklug.co.uk/images/postgresql-powered-728x90.png
>
> http://www.uklug.co.uk/images/postgresql-powered-160x600.png

Can you change the word PostgreSQL to be a single color? We've pretty much
tried to avoid the dual-color version since it confuses folks (ie. postgre)

> The following page should display the 160x600 image.
>
> http://www.uklug.co.uk/cgi-bin/get_job.pl?rss_job_id=20248214

Hmm.. not sure if this is working right, since all I see are regular ads...

--
Robert Treat

Re: Advertising Space

From
Harry Jackson
Date:
On 12/17/05, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Can you change the word PostgreSQL to be a single color? We've pretty much
> tried to avoid the dual-color version since it confuses folks (ie. postgre)

As far as the text is concerned I can change the color but I don't
know what the original font is for the text. Would it be OK to use
another font?

> > http://www.uklug.co.uk/cgi-bin/get_job.pl?rss_job_id=20248214
> >

> Hmm.. not sure if this is working right, since all I see are regular ads...

On the right hand side you should be seeing a 160x600 image with some
elephants on it. If not try refreshing a couple of times to see if it
appears.

--
Harry
http://www.hjackson.org

Re: Advertising Space

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> Can you change the word PostgreSQL to be a single color? We've pretty
> much tried to avoid the dual-color version since it confuses folks

It would be useful if someone could create new master images with the
text in a single color but keeping the font, so people could work off
that.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Advertising Space

From
Harry Jackson
Date:
On 12/17/05, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > Can you change the word PostgreSQL to be a single color? We've pretty
> > much tried to avoid the dual-color version since it confuses folks
>
> It would be useful if someone could create new master images with the
> text in a single color but keeping the font, so people could work off
> that.

If someone tells me the font I will try and do this tonight. I am
using Gimp and I was unable to find the font.

--
Harry
http://www.hjackson.org

Re: Advertising Space

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Am Sonntag, den 18.12.2005, 00:18 +0100 schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > Can you change the word PostgreSQL to be a single color? We've pretty
> > much tried to avoid the dual-color version since it confuses folks
>
> It would be useful if someone could create new master images with the
> text in a single color but keeping the font, so people could work off
> that.

Btw. where can I download eps or svg version of the logo?
Would be nice if this linked from the postgres website.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain

Re: Advertising Space

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 17 December 2005 18:44, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 18.12.2005, 00:18 +0100 schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
> > Robert Treat wrote:
> > > Can you change the word PostgreSQL to be a single color? We've pretty
> > > much tried to avoid the dual-color version since it confuses folks
> >
> > It would be useful if someone could create new master images with the
> > text in a single color but keeping the font, so people could work off
> > that.

I don't believe we have masters of the older images. Master of the newer web
buttons are on the pgfoundry page.

If we have one, it would be at http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000089

--
Robert Treat

Re: Advertising Space

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 17 December 2005 18:18, Harry Jackson wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > > <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> >
> > Can you change the word PostgreSQL to be a single color? We've pretty
> > much tried to avoid the dual-color version since it confuses folks (ie.
> > postgre)
>
> As far as the text is concerned I can change the color but I don't
> know what the original font is for the text. Would it be OK to use
> another font?

In the first batch of graphics there are some zip files with psd's in them.
might be good to grab the font used in there if you can.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Advertising Space

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Saturday 17 December 2005 18:44, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be useful if someone could create new master images with the
>>> text in a single color but keeping the font, so people could work off
>>> that.
>
> I don't believe we have masters of the older images. Master of the newer web
> buttons are on the pgfoundry page.
>

>> Btw. where can I download eps or svg version of the logo?
>> Would be nice if this linked from the postgres website.
>>

> If we have one, it would be at http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000089

See:

http://www.pgsql.com/graphics/propaganda/

there are tif, ai and pdf versions in there (what is ai?) ... pull over to
pgfoundry.org all of them so that they don't get misplaced ...

----

Re: Advertising Space

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> http://www.pgsql.com/graphics/propaganda/
>
> there are tif, ai and pdf versions in there (what is ai?) ... pull over
> to pgfoundry.org all of them so that they don't get misplaced ...

These are all on pgfoundry already.  AI is Adobe Illustrator.

--Josh

Re: Advertising Space

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Am Samstag, den 17.12.2005, 17:27 -0800 schrieb Josh Berkus:
> Marc,
>
> > http://www.pgsql.com/graphics/propaganda/
> >
> > there are tif, ai and pdf versions in there (what is ai?) ... pull over
> > to pgfoundry.org all of them so that they don't get misplaced ...
>
> These are all on pgfoundry already.  AI is Adobe Illustrator.

Could someone with AI please convert them to some open format?
Like eps or svg?

Regards
Tino Wildenhain

Re: Advertising Space

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
>> http://www.pgsql.com/graphics/propaganda/
>>
>> there are tif, ai and pdf versions in there (what is ai?) ... pull over to
>> pgfoundry.org all of them so that they don't get misplaced ...
>
> These are all on pgfoundry already.  AI is Adobe Illustrator.

Thanks ...

----

Re: Advertising Space

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Could someone with AI please convert them to some open format?
> Like eps or svg?

I have some logos here, including SVG format:
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/marketing/postgresql-logos/

I wasn't aware of the pgfoundry repository.  I wonder why they don't use
CVS.  I find the current format hard to use.

Feel free to include my logo versions into the repository though.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Advertising Space

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Am Sonntag, den 18.12.2005, 02:44 +0100 schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
> Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> > Could someone with AI please convert them to some open format?
> > Like eps or svg?
>
> I have some logos here, including SVG format:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/marketing/postgresql-logos/

Great! thx!

Re: Advertising Space

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 17 December 2005 20:44, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> > Could someone with AI please convert them to some open format?
> > Like eps or svg?
>
> I have some logos here, including SVG format:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/marketing/postgresql-logos/
>
> I wasn't aware of the pgfoundry repository.  I wonder why they don't use
> CVS.  I find the current format hard to use.

The theory is that more people would find CVS hard to use.

> Feel free to include my logo versions into the repository though.

Cool, I have added these into the project.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Advertising Space

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> The theory is that more people would find CVS hard to use.

The problem with the current setup is twofold:

1. I cannot do a bulk download.

2. There is no version control. If you decide tomorrow that a particular
version is no longer needed, it's gone. Therefore, I have to keep my
own backups, even if you added my variants to the repository.

May I suggest that you put the files into CVS and offer the current
versions from the doc manager?

--
Peter Eisentraut