Conventions for release numbering

From
elein@varlena.com (elein)
Date:
(No, wait, I'm not starting a release numbering discussion.)

If we have release 8.0.3 where 8 is the Major releae,
0 is the minor release and 3 is the version (revision?),
how would we refer to a generic release number:

    postgresql-M.m.v ? postgresql-M.m.r ?

Is this our convention?  Do either of these work?

I just want to know what our convention might be.

--elein

elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com

          PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training

PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

Re: Conventions for release numbering

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, elein wrote:

> (No, wait, I'm not starting a release numbering discussion.)
>

> If we have release 8.0.3 where 8 is the Major releae,
> 0 is the minor release and 3 is the version (revision?),
> how would we refer to a generic release number:
>
>     postgresql-M.m.v ? postgresql-M.m.r ?
>
> Is this our convention?  Do either of these work?

Assuming v==version and r==release, is there a big difference between the
two?  How are each defined?

----

Date:
On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 11:13:15PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, elein wrote:
>
> >(No, wait, I'm not starting a release numbering discussion.)
> >

> >If we have release 8.0.3 where 8 is the Major releae,
> >0 is the minor release and 3 is the version (revision?),
> >how would we refer to a generic release number:
> >
> >    postgresql-M.m.v ? postgresql-M.m.r ?
> >
> >Is this our convention?  Do either of these work?
>
> Assuming v==version and r==release, is there a big difference between the
> two?  How are each defined?

That is my question!  What do we conventionally use?

Date:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, elein wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 11:13:15PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, elein wrote:
>>
>>> (No, wait, I'm not starting a release numbering discussion.)
>>>

>>> If we have release 8.0.3 where 8 is the Major releae,
>>> 0 is the minor release and 3 is the version (revision?),
>>> how would we refer to a generic release number:
>>>
>>>     postgresql-M.m.v ? postgresql-M.m.r ?
>>>
>>> Is this our convention?  Do either of these work?
>>
>> Assuming v==version and r==release, is there a big difference between the
>> two?  How are each defined?
>
> That is my question!  What do we conventionally use?

Neither and both?  Since I don't know the difference (if any) between the
final being considered r(elease) or v(ersion) ...

Its always just been 'Major'.'Minor'.'Bug Fixes' ... so is 'Bug Fixes' ==
version or release?

----

Re: Conventions for release numbering

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 13 June 2005 00:49, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, elein wrote:

> >> Assuming v==version and r==release, is there a big difference between
> >> the two?  How are each defined?
> >
> > That is my question!  What do we conventionally use?
>
> Neither and both?  Since I don't know the difference (if any) between the
> final being considered r(elease) or v(ersion) ...
>
> Its always just been 'Major'.'Minor'.'Bug Fixes' ... so is 'Bug Fixes' ==
> version or release?

My understanding is that we have always followed "Major-Minor-Revision".

--
Robert Treat

Re: Conventions for release numbering

From
Paul Ramsey
Date:
How about postgresql-M.c.i ?  :)

M == Meaningless/Marketing: meaningless number incremented for marketing
purposes when we want people to think a great deal has changed
c == Compatibility: we might break your binary compatibility with older
installed databases when this changes (dump/restore recommended)
i == Increment: We change this whenever we release something new, but we
don't break compatibility (dump/restore not required)

:)

That's pretty good, two of the three digits are technically significant.
For PostGIS, only the last digit is significant (compatible increments).
The first two we alter more or less on a whim.

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, elein wrote:

>>> Assuming v==version and r==release, is there a big difference between
>>> the
>>> two?  How are each defined?
>>

>> That is my question!  What do we conventionally use?
>

> Neither and both?  Since I don't know the difference (if any) between
> the final being considered r(elease) or v(ersion) ...
>
> Its always just been 'Major'.'Minor'.'Bug Fixes' ... so is 'Bug Fixes'
> == version or release?
>
> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Re: Conventions for release numbering

From
Brian Kilpatrick
Date:
It was my understanding that regardless of the nomenclature of the
numbers, the any change in the first 2 numbers indicated a major
release, which included an enhanced feature set. i.e. 7.3 had major
features added from 7.2, and 7.4 had major features added onto 7.3.
Also it seems that the major releases have been predicated on the need
to do a dump and restore when upgrading. ( I don't know if this
consistently been the case however).

The 3rd number however has, to the best of my analysis, never required
a dump. So that I would have to call this 'revision', which would
include updates and bug fixes, but not new features.

Of course, in the course of numbering of other products/projects its
usually not the first 2 numbers that indicate an ersatz major release.
They tend to stick to major.minor.other. Postgres 'seems' to do
major1.major2.revision.

Perhaps in the long run a realignment should be examined. *However*
given the rapid pace of development, the version number may end up at,
like, 37 before anyone 'notices'.

Date:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Brian Kilpatrick wrote:

> The 3rd number however has, to the best of my analysis, never required a
> dump. So that I would have to call this 'revision', which would include
> updates and bug fixes, but not new features.

Actually, we've had several 'revisions' that have required dumps ... in
fact, I believe we've had at least one for every m.n release at some point
:(

----

Re: Conventions for release numbering

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Brian,

> Of course, in the course of numbering of other products/projects its
> usually not the first 2 numbers that indicate an ersatz major release.
> They tend to stick to major.minor.other. Postgres 'seems' to do
> major1.major2.revision.

Actually, major1.major2.revision is consistent with several other OSS
projects, such as Linux, Apache, and BSD.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions