Name that project contest!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data Warehousing
applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a name for this
project.      Suggestions so far have included "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen",
but nothing has really grabbed us.

So, I'm offering a $50 Amazon gift certificate if anyone can come up with a
really catchy, apt, not-trademarked-by-someone-else name by 5pm PDT Sunday
April 10.

Ready, get set, go!

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
How about some example applications to stir the imagination?

On April 8, 2005 07:25 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
> PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data Warehousing
> applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a name for this
> project.      Suggestions so far have included "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen",
> but nothing has really grabbed us.
>
> So, I'm offering a $50 Amazon gift certificate if anyone can come up with a
> really catchy, apt, not-trademarked-by-someone-else name by 5pm PDT Sunday
> April 10.
>
> Ready, get set, go!

Re: Name that project contest!

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
>PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data Warehousing
>applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a name for this
>project.      Suggestions so far have included "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen",
>but nothing has really grabbed us.

Oracle?

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On Friday 08 April 2005 16:25, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
> PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data Warehousing
> applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a name for this
> project.      Suggestions so far have included "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen",
> but nothing has really grabbed us.
>
> So, I'm offering a $50 Amazon gift certificate if anyone can come up with a
> really catchy, apt, not-trademarked-by-someone-else name by 5pm PDT Sunday
> April 10.
>
> Ready, get set, go!

To rehash some of the ideas already presented on IRC

proboscis
manatees
Loxodonta
Proboscidea
Tethytheria

Also I'd recommend staying away from those ideas that have religious
connotations such as Ganesha so as not to offend any particular religious
customer.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

http://www.wavefire.com
ph: 250.717.0200
fx: 250.763.1759

Re: Name that project contest!

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
>> PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data
>> Warehousing applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a
>> name for this project.      Suggestions so far have included
>> "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen", but nothing has really grabbed us.
>>

> Oracle?

Just in case... this was a joke.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 08 April 2005 20:36, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >> Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
> >> PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data
> >> Warehousing applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a
> >> name for this project.      Suggestions so far have included
> >> "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen", but nothing has really grabbed us.
> >
> > Oracle?
>
> Just in case... this was a joke.

How about just calling it "postgres".  This would show a relationship with
PostgreSQL  and it's predecessor POSTGRES but be easily differentiated by the
unique spelling.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Tom Copeland
Date:
On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 22:24 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:

> > > Oracle?
> >
> > Just in case... this was a joke.
> >

> How about just calling it "postgres".  This would show a relationship with
> PostgreSQL  and it's predecessor POSTGRES but be easily differentiated by the
> unique spelling.

How about "firefox"?  Or maybe, "firebird"?  Oh wait...

Tom

Date:
On Friday 08 April 2005 22:22, Tom Copeland wrote:

> > > Just in case... this was a joke.
> >
> > How about just calling it "postgres".  This would show a relationship
> > with PostgreSQL  and it's predecessor POSTGRES but be easily
> > differentiated by the unique spelling.
>
> How about "firefox"?  Or maybe, "firebird"?  Oh wait...

When the firbird folks tried to write a clone of oracle they called it
fyracle... I'm not sure how close this will be but maybe postgracle would be
good?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 12:03:07AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:

> When the firbird folks tried to write a clone of oracle they called it
> fyracle... I'm not sure how close this will be but maybe postgracle would be
> good?

Wow, that's almost as bad as the new name of the french Linux
distribution, Mandriva :-)

I guess this is an english thing; any reason to be "fyracle" and not "firacle" ?

And just to stay on topic, how about "Postbiz accelerator" or "Postaccel
for Business" ...

Y dijo Dios: "Que sea Satanás, para que la gente no me culpe de todo a mí."
"Y que hayan abogados, para que la gente no culpe de todo a Satanás"

Date:
On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 00:03 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > How about "firefox"?  Or maybe, "firebird"?  Oh wait...
> >

> When the firbird folks tried to write a clone of oracle they called it
> fyracle... I'm not sure how close this will be but maybe postgracle would be
> good?

"Postgrackle - it's the very latest thing in grackles!"

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/Photo/Images/h5110pi.jpg

Tom

Re: Name that project contest!

From
David Garamond
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
> PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data Warehousing
> applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a name for this
> project.      Suggestions so far have included "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen",
> but nothing has really grabbed us.
>
> So, I'm offering a $50 Amazon gift certificate if anyone can come up with a
> really catchy, apt, not-trademarked-by-someone-else name by 5pm PDT Sunday
> April 10.
>
> Ready, get set, go!

- PostgreSQL 8i (though the "i" on Oracle 8i/9i is not "intelligence")
- PostgreSQL/DW [edition], PostgreSQL/BI [edition]
- Postracle? :p

Anyway, I think "PostgreSQL" still has to be part of the name. A new
name just won't have the same impact (unless this is just a project
nickname for developers? Or "PostgreSQL" is trademarked and cannot be
used). I suggest adding some suffix or attribute to PostgreSQL (think
"Pentium IV Emergency Edition").

--
sh

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> How about "firefox"?  Or maybe, "firebird"?  Oh wait...

Firestone! :P

Date:
>> So, I'm offering a $50 Amazon gift certificate if anyone can come up
>> with a really catchy, apt, not-trademarked-by-someone-else name by 5pm
>> PDT Sunday April 10.
>> Ready, get set, go!

Hive Mind
Business Brain
Dimension
Intellect
Qualia
Exacta

Put 'PostgreSQL' before them if necessary...

Chrsi

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
> PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data Warehousing
> applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a name for this
> project.      Suggestions so far have included "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen",
> but nothing has really grabbed us.
>
> So, I'm offering a $50 Amazon gift certificate if anyone can come up with a
> really catchy, apt, not-trademarked-by-someone-else name by 5pm PDT Sunday
> April 10.
>
> Ready, get set, go!

I think the name should be "Priceless" ;-)

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Jutta Horstmann
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
> PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data
> Warehousing applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a
> name for this project.

PAT (PostgreSQL Analyze This!)

PStrat (PostgreSQL Strategy)

CubeStar (referring to two DW concepts, the star schema and the cube
data structure)

Great project anyway, is there already more info available (roadmap or
something)?

Regards,
Jutta Horstmann

Date:
Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
>> PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data
>> Warehousing applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a
>> name for this project.      Suggestions so far have included
>> "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen", but nothing has really grabbed us.
>>
>> So, I'm offering a $50 Amazon gift certificate if anyone can come up
>> with a really catchy, apt, not-trademarked-by-someone-else name by 5pm
>> PDT Sunday April 10.
>> Ready, get set, go!
>>
> I think the name should be "Priceless" ;-)

"Priceless" is apparently trademarked by Master Card. Well, PriceleSQL
then...

- thomas

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Mitch Pirtle
Date:
I know this will cause some groans, but if the target market is
business, and more specifically the enterprise, why not just call it
'PostgreSQL Enterprise Edition'?

Perhaps not sexy, or humorous, but it is clear and consise exactly as
to what the purpose is, while still being tied to the PostgreSQL name.

-- Mitch

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
mitch.pirtle@gmail.com (Mitch Pirtle) wrote:
> I know this will cause some groans, but if the target market is
> business, and more specifically the enterprise, why not just call it
> 'PostgreSQL Enterprise Edition'?
>
> Perhaps not sexy, or humorous, but it is clear and consise exactly as
> to what the purpose is, while still being tied to the PostgreSQL name.

Actually, no, it's not "consise" as to purpose; it doesn't actually
imply anything about what the purpose is.

I'd generally expect "Enterprise Edition" to indicate the addition of
transaction-oriented functionality.  2PC, automagic JavaBeans, that
sort of thing.

Plausible names might include:
 - PostgreStar
 - CubeSQL
 - PostCube
 - PostStar
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/lisp.html

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jutta,

> Great project anyway, is there already more info available (roadmap or
> something)?

There will be in a couple of weeks.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Anton de Wet
Date:
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

> Loxodonta

What about Loxodonta Sapiens?

The Elephants on the turtle under the disk in the Terry Pratchett novels
are called Berilia, Tubul, Great T'Phon, and Jerakeen. Maybe that leads
somewhere :)

Anton

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Perez
Date:
In article <200504081935.28136.robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca>,
 robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca (Robert Bernier) wrote:

> > So, I'm offering a $50 Amazon gift certificate if anyone can come up with a
> > really catchy, apt, not-trademarked-by-someone-else name by 5pm PDT Sunday
> > April 10.
> >
> > Ready, get set, go!

How about Memnesia because elephants never forget... :-)

Re: Name that project contest!

From
"Rolf Østvik"
Date:
mitch.pirtle@gmail.com (Mitch Pirtle) wrote in

> I know this will cause some groans, but if the target market is
> business, and more specifically the enterprise, why not just call it
> 'PostgreSQL Enterprise Edition'?

Or the short version: Pee

Could't resist
--
Rolf

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Terry Yapt

>Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>>Folks,
>>
>>Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
>>PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data Warehousing
>>applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a name for this
>>project.      Suggestions so far have included "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen",
>>but nothing has really grabbed us.
>>

>Oracle?

X-DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

really great !!!

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Sam Hahn
Date:
BIzgres

Josh Berkus wrote:
Folks,

Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data Warehousing
applications.   One problem we've had is coming up with a name for this
project.      Suggestions so far have included "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen",
but nothing has really grabbed us.

So, I'm offering a $50 Amazon gift certificate if anyone can come up with a
really catchy, apt, not-trademarked-by-someone-else name by 5pm PDT Sunday
April 10.

Ready, get set, go!

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Josh Berkus
People:

So, I ran the suggestions past the sponsoring company.   There were quite a
few of the mythological suggestons that we liked.   Unfortunately, all of
them were trademarked up the wazoo.   :-(

So, the winner is ....
BizGres

Look for it soon on a website near you.

Sam Hahn, please send me your contact info so I can buy you a gift
certificate.  Off-list!

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Name that project contest!

From
Sam Hahn
Date:
Woo hoo coolio...!!
Thanks! I think I'll go into Marketing...