Re: [HACKERS] 8.0 press release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Oleg,

Discussion moved to ADVOCACY, where it belongs.

> I cite myself (previous mail):
> and it's translations ? Does it somehow confirmed ? What do you mean under
> "To find out more about PostgreSQL or to download it, please visit:
>          In <your language here>

Well, I still don't think I follow you.  But that's where the "Regional
Contact" for the language will go.   For example:

    In Deutch:
        http://www.postgres.de/
        Anastasios Hatzis
         Email: DE@postgresql.org
         Tel: +49-30-20005022
         Cell: +49-173-5625858

However, not all the Regional contacts are (self-)selected yet.

I was planning for Nick to be the Regional Contact for Russia, since last year
you were not able to find press contacts for Russia and Nick says that he has
some.  OK?

> 1. Link to local server(s)  of postgresql community

Planned, see above.    Of course, we don't have these for all communities.

> 2. Link to download - local mirror of postgresql ftp-server

Hmmm, this isn't a bad idea.    Except that some languages don't correspond to
regions; Spanish for example.    But it would work for Russian/Polish/German
etc.  Do you think you could put together a list of mirrors which would match
closely with specific languages?

> 3. Links to companies offering commercial support

This is worthy of discussion, but would have had to been planned starting
about a month ago (if not earlier).    At this time, translations have
already started on the release, with plans to have it ready within the next
10 days.   If you want to start working on it now, our commercial support
page could certainly use some help ...

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: [HACKERS] 8.0 press release

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:

---559023410-521589464-1100300588=:25413

Josh,

press release will be released on behalf of PGDG ? So, any contacts
will be considered sort of official ? There so many unclear questions,
so I tried to avoid them - publish well established regional addresses.
btw, what do you mean "press contact" ? I don't remember you asked me
for contact. I always have my contact (for decades) in my signature,
for example. We have well known postgresql resources in Russia and
I never heard Nickolay's company. Do we bless his company to be
our (PGDG) contact ?  I'm against casual companies to be my representative
in my country !

     Oleg

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Oleg,
>
> Discussion moved to ADVOCACY, where it belongs.
>
>> I cite myself (previous mail):
>> and it's translations ? Does it somehow confirmed ? What do you mean under
>> "To find out more about PostgreSQL or to download it, please visit:
>>       1;2c1;2c   In <your language here>
>
> Well, I still don't think I follow you.  But that's where the "Regional
> Contact" for the language will go.   For example:
>
>     In Deutch:
>         http://www.postgres.de/
>         Anastasios Hatzis
>         Email: DE@postgresql.org
>         Tel: +49-30-20005022
>         Cell: +49-173-5625858
>1;2c
> However, not all the Regional contacts are (self-)selected yet.
>
> I was planning for Nick to be the Regional Contact for Russia, since last year
> you were not able to find press contacts for Russia and Nick says that he has
> some.  OK?
>
>> 1. Link to local server(s)  of postgresql community
>
> Planned, see above.    Of course, we don't have these for all communities.
>
>> 2.1;2c Link to download - local mirror of postgresql ftp-server
>
> Hmmm, this isn't a bad idea.    Except that some languages don't correspond to
> regions; Spanish for example.    But it would work for Russian/Polish/German
> etc.  Do you think you could put together a list of mirrors which would match
> closely with specific languages?
>
>> 3. Links to companies offering commercial support
>
> This is worthy of discussion, but would have had to been planned starting
> about a month ago (if not earlier).    At this time, translations have
> already started on the release, with plans to have it ready within the next
> 10 days.   If you want to start working on it now, our commercial support
> page could certainly use some help ...

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83
---559023410-521589464-1100300588=:25413--

Re: 8.0 press release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Oleg,

> press release will be released on behalf of PGDG ? So, any contacts
> will be considered sort of official ? There so many unclear questions,
> so I tried to avoid them - publish well established regional addresses.
> btw, what do you mean "press contact" ? I don't remember you asked me
> for contact.

When we sent out the 7.4 release, you said that you didn't know any Russian
Tech reporters, didn't have anyone to send it to, and didn't translate the
release.

Nick, on the other hand, does know some reporters, wants to send it out, and
is already translating the release.

> I always have my contact (for decades) in my signature,
> for example. We have well known postgresql resources in Russia and
> I never heard Nickolay's company. Do we bless his company to be
> our (PGDG) contact ?  I'm against casual companies to be my representative
> in my country !

Oleg, "companies" are not PostgreSQL community contacts.   Individual people
are.

The purpose of the Regional Contact is:
1) to collect a list of press contacts in that language and send the release
to them;
2) to answer questions from press in that language;
3) to answer questions from the public, via webmaster@postgresql.org and
otherwise, in their language.

Nobody is getting paid to do this.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: 8.0 press release

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Josh,

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Oleg,
>
>> press release will be released on behalf of PGDG ? So, any contacts
>> will be considered sort of official ? There so many unclear questions,
>> so I tried to avoid them - publish well established regional addresses.
>> btw, what do you mean "press contact" ? I don't remember you asked me
>> for contact.
>
> When we sent out the 7.4 release, you said that you didn't know any Russian
> Tech reporters, didn't have anyone to send it to, and didn't translate the
> release.

this is very different when you ask for *translation* or PR-ing !
I tried to separate essence of document from translating. I have nothing
against translating somebody our document and I'll help him.

> Nick, on the other hand, does know some reporters, wants to send it out, and
> is already translating the release.

Again, this is very different - let him send our (PGDG) press release to
president Putin, to Mars, etc,  who is against :)

>> I always have my contact (for decades) in my signature,
>> for example. We have well known postgresql resources in Russia and
>> I never heard Nickolay's company. Do we bless his company to be
>> our (PGDG) contact ?  I'm against casual companies to be my representative
>> in my country !
>
> Oleg, "companies" are not PostgreSQL community contacts.   Individual people
> are.

Josh, that's what I want to hear ! Nickolay proposed to put his *company*
as contact place, that's what I'm against, nothing against Nickolay as
contact person.

> The purpose of the Regional Contact is:
> 1) to collect a list of press contacts in that language and send the release
> to them;
> 2) to answer questions from press in that language;
> 3) to answer questions from the public, via webmaster@postgresql.org and
> otherwise, in their language.

Hmm, we have already Viktor Vislobokov - translator of PG documentation,
PG FAQ, and author of PG community server. You should know him for years.
And it's my opninion the best place for contact is his site !
We could write there information about contact person, phone, etc...
This is community project, at least ! I don't like connect any companies
for no reason. This is true and for my company, in spite of it actually
contributes to pg.

> Nobody is getting paid to do this.

This is quite unnecessary, I didn't touch that :)

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: 8.0 press release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Oleg,

> Hmm, we have already Viktor Vislobokov - translator of PG documentation,
> PG FAQ, and author of PG community server.

Hmmm .... does Viktor want to do it though?   What's his e-mail?

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: 8.0 press release

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Oleg,
>
>> Hmm, we have already Viktor Vislobokov - translator of PG documentation,
>> PG FAQ, and author of PG community server.
>
> Hmmm .... does Viktor want to do it though?   What's his e-mail?

I've asked him already, but didn't get any response.
His site (in Russian)  http://www.linuxshare.ru/docs/software/SQL/postgresql/
email: corochoone@perm.ru
There are several disputable points (mostly translating terminology)
I want to discuss with him and Nikolay.

btw, when we say "global development group"  does we imply
"international development group" ? The latter sounds better in russian.

> --Josh

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: 8.0 press release

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Josh,

I'm willing to finish our discussions and make sure we come to an
understanding. I think it's very important, at least to me, that
PostgreSQL should be associated with PGDG and community, not to any
company, even if it would be Fujitsu. I foresee many conflicts of
interests when PostgreSQL become even more commercial attractive.
From this point of view contact information mentioned in offical
documents should be associated with www.postgresql.org,
local web site, individual representative of PGDG (if any),
but not ANY company. Companies should be categorized as
various partners (software, development,training, strategic, business, etc)

     Oleg
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Oleg,
>
>> press release will be released on behalf of PGDG ? So, any contacts
>> will be considered sort of official ? There so many unclear questions,
>> so I tried to avoid them - publish well established regional addresses.
>> btw, what do you mean "press contact" ? I don't remember you asked me
>> for contact.
>
> When we sent out the 7.4 release, you said that you didn't know any Russian
> Tech reporters, didn't have anyone to send it to, and didn't translate the
> release.
>
> Nick, on the other hand, does know some reporters, wants to send it out, and
> is already translating the release.
>
>> I always have my contact (for decades) in my signature,
>> for example. We have well known postgresql resources in Russia and
>> I never heard Nickolay's company. Do we bless his company to be
>> our (PGDG) contact ?  I'm against casual companies to be my representative
>> in my country !
>
> Oleg, "companies" are not PostgreSQL community contacts.   Individual people
> are.
>
> The purpose of the Regional Contact is:
> 1) to collect a list of press contacts in that language and send the release
> to them;
> 2) to answer questions from press in that language;
> 3) to answer questions from the public, via webmaster@postgresql.org and
> otherwise, in their language.
>
> Nobody is getting paid to do this.

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: 8.0 press release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Oleg,

> I'm willing to finish our discussions and make sure we come to an
> understanding. I think it's very important, at least to me, that
> PostgreSQL should be associated with PGDG and community, not to any
> company, even if it would be Fujitsu.

Hmmm ... hopefully you're not referring to the quote here.    My goal is
actually to quote (at least) two new companies with each major release; last
time we did Inquent, Afilias, and Pisgah; this time we'll be doing Fujitsu
and Hyperic; next time, I expect probably SRA and someone else.   These
quotes serve a strategic purpose, both to show that postgreSQL *does* have
major commercial adoption, and to emphasize the new features.

> I foresee many conflicts of
> interests when PostgreSQL become even more commercial attractive.

Fortunately, we are accustomed to being a multi-company project, and have a
lot of practice at it.

> From this point of view contact information mentioned in offical
> documents should be associated with www.postgresql.org,
> local web site, individual representative of PGDG (if any),
> but not ANY company. Companies should be categorized as
> various partners (software, development,training, strategic, business, etc)

Yeah, we need to organize this on the web page.   Do you have time?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions