Re: 8.0 press release - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: 8.0 press release
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh,

I'm willing to finish our discussions and make sure we come to an
understanding. I think it's very important, at least to me, that
PostgreSQL should be associated with PGDG and community, not to any
company, even if it would be Fujitsu. I foresee many conflicts of
interests when PostgreSQL become even more commercial attractive.
From this point of view contact information mentioned in offical
documents should be associated with www.postgresql.org,
local web site, individual representative of PGDG (if any),
but not ANY company. Companies should be categorized as
various partners (software, development,training, strategic, business, etc)

     Oleg
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Oleg,
>
>> press release will be released on behalf of PGDG ? So, any contacts
>> will be considered sort of official ? There so many unclear questions,
>> so I tried to avoid them - publish well established regional addresses.
>> btw, what do you mean "press contact" ? I don't remember you asked me
>> for contact.
>
> When we sent out the 7.4 release, you said that you didn't know any Russian
> Tech reporters, didn't have anyone to send it to, and didn't translate the
> release.
>
> Nick, on the other hand, does know some reporters, wants to send it out, and
> is already translating the release.
>
>> I always have my contact (for decades) in my signature,
>> for example. We have well known postgresql resources in Russia and
>> I never heard Nickolay's company. Do we bless his company to be
>> our (PGDG) contact ?  I'm against casual companies to be my representative
>> in my country !
>
> Oleg, "companies" are not PostgreSQL community contacts.   Individual people
> are.
>
> The purpose of the Regional Contact is:
> 1) to collect a list of press contacts in that language and send the release
> to them;
> 2) to answer questions from press in that language;
> 3) to answer questions from the public, via webmaster@postgresql.org and
> otherwise, in their language.
>
> Nobody is getting paid to do this.

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83