Re: 8.0 press release - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: 8.0 press release
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Oleg,

> I'm willing to finish our discussions and make sure we come to an
> understanding. I think it's very important, at least to me, that
> PostgreSQL should be associated with PGDG and community, not to any
> company, even if it would be Fujitsu.

Hmmm ... hopefully you're not referring to the quote here.    My goal is
actually to quote (at least) two new companies with each major release; last
time we did Inquent, Afilias, and Pisgah; this time we'll be doing Fujitsu
and Hyperic; next time, I expect probably SRA and someone else.   These
quotes serve a strategic purpose, both to show that postgreSQL *does* have
major commercial adoption, and to emphasize the new features.

> I foresee many conflicts of
> interests when PostgreSQL become even more commercial attractive.

Fortunately, we are accustomed to being a multi-company project, and have a
lot of practice at it.

> From this point of view contact information mentioned in offical
> documents should be associated with www.postgresql.org,
> local web site, individual representative of PGDG (if any),
> but not ANY company. Companies should be categorized as
> various partners (software, development,training, strategic, business, etc)

Yeah, we need to organize this on the web page.   Do you have time?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions