OSCon Update

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Don't know if anyone had noticed, but they have put up info on the
PostgreSQL Track for OSCON.

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/29/track_postgresql.html

I haven't given things a thorough look over yet, but I did notice that
Joe Celko will be presenting (it's on the my$ql track of all places),
which might be of interest to PostgreSQL users... in fact, Josh, do you
know if we can get that tagged into our track as well? It doesn't
conflict with anything in our track AFAICS.

Also on a side note, if anyone is interested in going to the Bela Fleck
concert Sunday night (July 25th), please contact me off-list.

Robert Treat

Re: OSCon Update

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when xzilla@users.sourceforge.net (Robert Treat) would write:
> Don't know if anyone had noticed, but they have put up info on the
> PostgreSQL Track for OSCON.
>
> http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/29/track_postgresql.html
>
> I haven't given things a thorough look over yet, but I did notice
> that Joe Celko will be presenting (it's on the my$ql track of all
> places), which might be of interest to PostgreSQL users... in fact,
> Josh, do you know if we can get that tagged into our track as well?
> It doesn't conflict with anything in our track AFAICS.

That seems potentially pretty entertaining; Celko often pokes ridicule
on Usenet at usages of database systems that amount to using a
"sequential filesystem instead of a relational database."

I'll be very curious to hear what falls out of the MySQL track there;
it would not surprise me too much if they start deprecating MySQL in
favor of MaxDB.

Drawing Celko in would be consistent with that, and it would surely be
interesting to hear what he has to say.  Also entertaining would be
C.J. Date, but that's another story...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://cbbrowne.com/info/wp.html

Re: OSCon Update

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On 9 Apr 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

> Don't know if anyone had noticed, but they have put up info on the
> PostgreSQL Track for OSCON.
>
> http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/29/track_postgresql.html

Hey, I think I know some of those folks!  :)

> I haven't given things a thorough look over yet, but I did notice that
> Joe Celko will be presenting (it's on the my$ql track of all places),
> which might be of interest to PostgreSQL users... in fact, Josh, do you
> know if we can get that tagged into our track as well? It doesn't
> conflict with anything in our track AFAICS.

Yeah, a tutorial on Advanced SQL in the MySQL Track?  and it covers things
like check() constraints.   Seems like there should just be a plain
"database tutorials" track, as his being part of MySQL makes little or no
sense.

I'm pretty sure Joe is on one or two of our mailing lists, so if he sees
this maybe he can clarify why they put him on the MySQL list instead of
Postgresql or firebird.  I'm certain MySQL is NOT his favorite open source
database.

Re: OSCon Update

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 13:19, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2004, Robert Treat wrote:
> > I haven't given things a thorough look over yet, but I did notice that
> > Joe Celko will be presenting (it's on the my$ql track of all places),
> > which might be of interest to PostgreSQL users... in fact, Josh, do you
> > know if we can get that tagged into our track as well? It doesn't
> > conflict with anything in our track AFAICS.
>
> Yeah, a tutorial on Advanced SQL in the MySQL Track?  and it covers things
> like check() constraints.   Seems like there should just be a plain
> "database tutorials" track, as his being part of MySQL makes little or no
> sense.

Actually looking at it a bit more, this does seem like a mistake because
there is another my$ql specific tutorial going on at the same time...
"Data Warehousing with MySQL and OSS Tools"... while our track has no
tutorial at that time.

> I'm pretty sure Joe is on one or two of our mailing lists, so if he sees
> this maybe he can clarify why they put him on the MySQL list instead of
> Postgresql or firebird.  I'm certain MySQL is NOT his favorite open source
> database.

Is anyone here close to the firebird community? They didn't actually get
there own track, but I am guessing that one could put together a "psuedo
track" for them based on the existing tutorials/talks. I think my talk,
while based on PostgreSQL, would be applicable to them, and I think a
lot of the other presentations on our track (and ones like Celko's)
would as well.

Robert Treat

Re: OSCon Update

Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> Actually looking at it a bit more, this does seem like a mistake because
> there is another my$ql specific tutorial going on at the same time...
> "Data Warehousing with MySQL and OSS Tools"... while our track has no
> tutorial at that time.
>
> > I'm pretty sure Joe is on one or two of our mailing lists, so if he sees
> > this maybe he can clarify why they put him on the MySQL list instead of
> > Postgresql or firebird.  I'm certain MySQL is NOT his favorite open source
> > database.
> >

> Is anyone here close to the firebird community? They didn't actually get
> there own track, but I am guessing that one could put together a "psuedo
> track" for them based on the existing tutorials/talks. I think my talk,
> while based on PostgreSQL, would be applicable to them, and I think a
> lot of the other presentations on our track (and ones like Celko's)
> would as well.

Should we reach out to the Firebird folks and encourage them to get
involved in our talks?   I could give them a little time during my talk.

Re: OSCon Update

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
It sounds like they want to do "all things" under the mysql banner. Does
that sound right to you guys?

Robert Treat wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 13:19, scott.marlowe wrote:
>

>>On 9 Apr 2004, Robert Treat wrote:
>>

>>>I haven't given things a thorough look over yet, but I did notice that
>>>Joe Celko will be presenting (it's on the my$ql track of all places),
>>>which might be of interest to PostgreSQL users... in fact, Josh, do you
>>>know if we can get that tagged into our track as well? It doesn't
>>>conflict with anything in our track AFAICS.
>>>

>>Yeah, a tutorial on Advanced SQL in the MySQL Track?  and it covers things
>>like check() constraints.   Seems like there should just be a plain
>>"database tutorials" track, as his being part of MySQL makes little or no
>>sense.
>>

>Actually looking at it a bit more, this does seem like a mistake because
>there is another my$ql specific tutorial going on at the same time...
>"Data Warehousing with MySQL and OSS Tools"... while our track has no
>tutorial at that time.
>

>>I'm pretty sure Joe is on one or two of our mailing lists, so if he sees
>>this maybe he can clarify why they put him on the MySQL list instead of
>>Postgresql or firebird.  I'm certain MySQL is NOT his favorite open source
>>database.

Re: OSCon Update

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
People,

> > Yeah, a tutorial on Advanced SQL in the MySQL Track?  and it covers things
> > like check() constraints.   Seems like there should just be a plain
> > "database tutorials" track, as his being part of MySQL makes little or no
> > sense.

I've e-mailed Nat to ask about this.    I think the motivation may have been
simply that MySQL was short a track, and that Nat was not aware of the irony.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: OSCon Update

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
Not so much, I think it's "Postgresql specific stuff goes in the
postgresql track, generic database stuff goes in MySQL cause that's what
more people are running.  Which sorta kinda makes sense.  But I would
rather have had a SQL track that was for postgresql/firebirdsql/mysql
generic stuff like db design and Celko's presentation, and individual
tracks as warranted for db specific stuff like replication or what not.

But I'm not going this year (at least I don't think so) so...

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Robert Bernier wrote:

> It sounds like they want to do "all things" under the mysql banner. Does
> that sound right to you guys?
>
> Robert Treat wrote:

> >>Yeah, a tutorial on Advanced SQL in the MySQL Track?  and it covers things
> >>like check() constraints.   Seems like there should just be a plain
> >>"database tutorials" track, as his being part of MySQL makes little or no
> >>sense.
> >>

> >Actually looking at it a bit more, this does seem like a mistake because
> >there is another my$ql specific tutorial going on at the same time...
> >"Data Warehousing with MySQL and OSS Tools"... while our track has no
> >tutorial at that time.
> >

> >>I'm pretty sure Joe is on one or two of our mailing lists, so if he sees
> >>this maybe he can clarify why they put him on the MySQL list instead of
> >>Postgresql or firebird.  I'm certain MySQL is NOT his favorite open source
> >>database.

Re: OSCon Update

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: OSCon Update

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Greg,

> If anyone has any OSCON pull, it would be nice to try and get a PG SOTU
> on schedule again for the whole crowd. Not that I see any good timeslots,
> but even just 15 minutes would go a long, long way to capturing some
> mindshare.

Huh?   Last I saw a schedule, Bruce had a talk called "PostgreSQL Directions"
scheduled for Thusday.   I've not seen any announcements on the OSCON list
cancelling it.  Where did you get this information?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: OSCon Update

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: OSCon Update

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Greg,

> That's not a State of the Union address, that's a presentation. The former
> (last year for every project except PG) was presented at night, to the
complete
> audience of 2000 attendees, the press, etc. The latter is in a small room,
> competing with many other presentations in other rooms, given to people who
> actively seek out the room and want to listen to the talk. Night and day,
and
> I think it is a large loss to the community if we do not get the chance to
speak
> to the entire convention as was offered last year.

No chance at this point, I'm afraid.   They felt that the "state of" addresses
were poorly attended and not well liked last year, so they're cancelling
them ... except for Larry Wall's, pretty much becuase he's such an
entertaining speaker.

You could raise the issue for next year, but you'll have to argue with the
OSCON committee.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions