A dubious claim to fame ...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Looks like SCO is now bundling us with OpenWare:
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=SVBIZINK5.story&STORY=/www/
story/02-18-2004/0002112123&EDATE=WED+Feb+18+2004,+01:46+PM

Guess all that debugging with 7.4 was good for something.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Looks like SCO is now bundling us with OpenWare:
> http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=SVBIZINK5.story&STORY=/www/
> story/02-18-2004/0002112123&EDATE=WED+Feb+18+2004,+01:46+PM
>
> Guess all that debugging with 7.4 was good for something.

For SCO, that's spelled OpenWarez.  :-)

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

From
Larry Rosenman

--On Wednesday, February 18, 2004 21:14:33 -0500 Bruce Momjian
<pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Looks like SCO is now bundling us with OpenWare:
>> http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=SVBIZINK5.story&STORY=
>> /www/ story/02-18-2004/0002112123&EDATE=WED+Feb+18+2004,+01:46+PM
>>
>> Guess all that debugging with 7.4 was good for something.
>
> For SCO, that's spelled OpenWarez.  :-)
hehe.

I did tell you that this was coming.  UP4 for UnixWare has PG 7.3.4 (Yeah,
yeah, I know, timing).

They've been asking me pointed questions.

I consider it a good thing.

(Don't start on the Legal crap, ok?  I don't agree with their legal
stuff, but that's not the engineers fault, and that's who I've
been working with).

LER

>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
> 19073

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Larry,

> (Don't start on the Legal crap, ok?  I don't agree with their legal
> stuff, but that's not the engineers fault, and that's who I've
> been working with).

Hey, nobody suggested cutting the port, did they?   That's not the way we do
things.

I just find it amusing that SCO is gratefully accepting our code with one hand
while the other threatens to sue half the people on our lists.  Such sweet
irony ....

It's not the poor OpenWare users' ... or engineers' ... fault that the Canopy
Group is riding SCO/Caldera like some demon monkey from the abyss.   Shoulda
killed the lawyers when they had the chance.  Hopefully OpenWare will survive
SCO.

And we can certainly use the publicity.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 00:02, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Larry,
>
> > (Don't start on the Legal crap, ok?  I don't agree with their legal
> > stuff, but that's not the engineers fault, and that's who I've
> > been working with).
>
> Hey, nobody suggested cutting the port, did they?   That's not the way we do
> things.
>
> I just find it amusing that SCO is gratefully accepting our code with one hand
> while the other threatens to sue half the people on our lists.  Such sweet
> irony ....
>
> It's not the poor OpenWare users' ... or engineers' ... fault that the Canopy
> Group is riding SCO/Caldera like some demon monkey from the abyss.   Shoulda
> killed the lawyers when they had the chance.  Hopefully OpenWare will survive
> SCO.
>
> And we can certainly use the publicity.

Not only that, but this is possibly the strongest endorsement we have
been given by any OS vendor to the mainstream tech press. While we run
on all of the major unix OS's, I've don't recall seeing phrases like "..
key features of the service pack are ... that it includes the
object-relational database management system PostgreSQL."  used by
anyone else.  Even our beloved Red Hat, who does so much for the
project, didn't even bother to include us in their "Advanced Server"
product line when it was released. While we might get annoyed by all of
Larry's posts on -hackers about SCO issues ;-), at least we get some
kind of return on that as a community.

Robert Treat

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> --On Wednesday, February 18, 2004 21:14:33 -0500 Bruce Momjian
> <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> Looks like SCO is now bundling us with OpenWare:
> >> http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=SVBIZINK5.story&STORY=
> >> /www/ story/02-18-2004/0002112123&EDATE=WED+Feb+18+2004,+01:46+PM
> >>
> >> Guess all that debugging with 7.4 was good for something.
> >
> > For SCO, that's spelled OpenWarez.  :-)
> hehe.
>
> I did tell you that this was coming.  UP4 for UnixWare has PG 7.3.4 (Yeah,
> yeah, I know, timing).
>
> They've been asking me pointed questions.
>
> I consider it a good thing.
>
> (Don't start on the Legal crap, ok?  I don't agree with their legal
> stuff, but that's not the engineers fault, and that's who I've
> been working with).

What's sad is that by the time the prospectors (Darl and company) get done
with their pump and dump strategy, and IBM launches their counter-suit,
the guys who made all the money will be long gone, while the company goes
under from debts encurred in court, and the decent, hardworking guys who
write code will be out of a job.

Sad.

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 11:35, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>

> > --On Wednesday, February 18, 2004 21:14:33 -0500 Bruce Momjian
> > <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> > > For SCO, that's spelled OpenWarez.  :-)
> > hehe.
> >
> > I did tell you that this was coming.  UP4 for UnixWare has PG 7.3.4 (Yeah,
> > yeah, I know, timing).
> >
> > They've been asking me pointed questions.
> >
> > I consider it a good thing.
> >
> > (Don't start on the Legal crap, ok?  I don't agree with their legal
> > stuff, but that's not the engineers fault, and that's who I've
> > been working with).
>
> What's sad is that by the time the prospectors (Darl and company) get done
> with their pump and dump strategy, and IBM launches their counter-suit,
> the guys who made all the money will be long gone, while the company goes
> under from debts encurred in court, and the decent, hardworking guys who
> write code will be out of a job.
>
> Sad.

I'd like to nip any future discussion of SCO's legal business in the bud
(since I don't see it's relevance to postgresql advocacy), so if you
want to continue on with this please let's do it in private mail.

That said Scott, SCO could simply gpl/bsd it's source code, folkd the
company, and then let the workers of the company support individual
support companies around the different sco product lines.

Robert Treat

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> That said Scott, SCO could simply gpl/bsd it's source code, folkd the
> company, and then let the workers of the company support individual
> support companies around the different sco product lines.

No they couldn't. They don't own all of it, not to mention multiple
patents that would be a problem.

> Robert Treat

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Thursday 19 February 2004 11:40 am, Robert Treat wrote:
> object-relational database management system PostgreSQL."  used by
> anyone else.  Even our beloved Red Hat, who does so much for the
> project, didn't even bother to include us in their "Advanced Server"
> product line when it was released.

When you say "include us" you do mean as part of the press release, right? Red
Hat has included PostgreSQL to program in all their OS releases since Red Hat
5.0.  RHEL AS 3 includes the PostgreSQL code (the Red Hat enhanced version).
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 12:51, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Thursday 19 February 2004 11:40 am, Robert Treat wrote:
> > object-relational database management system PostgreSQL."  used by
> > anyone else.  Even our beloved Red Hat, who does so much for the
> > project, didn't even bother to include us in their "Advanced Server"
> > product line when it was released.
>
> When you say "include us" you do mean as part of the press release, right? Red
> Hat has included PostgreSQL to program in all their OS releases since Red Hat
> 5.0.  RHEL AS 3 includes the PostgreSQL code (the Red Hat enhanced version).

Well certainly as part of their press release but even in other areas
their support has been shoddy at best.  RHEL didn't include any rpms for
postgresql on the server side when it was first released (scan of
archives turns up some supporting evidence
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-11/msg00664.php) and
only later was it added to RHN. Even now if you look on their "available
application list" you'll see a couple of databases included, like DB2
and MySQL, but I don't see PostgreSQL on that list.
http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/applist_chart.html

BTW - Don't get me wrong, I use Red Hat for some of my production
servers and am currently running it at home, but they have been less
vocal in their support of postgresql than I would like to see.  I
certainly don't begrudge them because I would rather they contribute
developers than press releases anyway, but I also think you have to give
SCO points for what they have done as well.

Robert Treat

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 12:51, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 February 2004 11:40 am, Robert Treat wrote:
> > > object-relational database management system PostgreSQL."  used by
> > > anyone else.  Even our beloved Red Hat, who does so much for the
> > > project, didn't even bother to include us in their "Advanced Server"
> > > product line when it was released.
> >
> > When you say "include us" you do mean as part of the press release, right? Red
> > Hat has included PostgreSQL to program in all their OS releases since Red Hat
> > 5.0.  RHEL AS 3 includes the PostgreSQL code (the Red Hat enhanced version).
>
> Well certainly as part of their press release but even in other areas
> their support has been shoddy at best.  RHEL didn't include any rpms for
> postgresql on the server side when it was first released (scan of
> archives turns up some supporting evidence
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-11/msg00664.php) and
> only later was it added to RHN. Even now if you look on their "available
> application list" you'll see a couple of databases included, like DB2
> and MySQL, but I don't see PostgreSQL on that list.
> http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/applist_chart.html

I agree RH has had a certain _stealth_ support for PostgreSQL, but I
don't think this list supports that. The list looks like commercial
software they support, and we aren't that.

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 22:43, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> Even now if you look on their "available
> > application list" you'll see a couple of databases included, like DB2
> > and MySQL, but I don't see PostgreSQL on that list.
> > http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/applist_chart.html
>
> I agree RH has had a certain _stealth_ support for PostgreSQL, but I
> don't think this list supports that. The list looks like commercial
> software they support, and we aren't that.

You don't think it's conspicuous that PostgreSQL:Red Hat Edition doesn't
make the list?

Robert Treat

Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Thursday 19 February 2004 04:06 pm, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 12:51, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > When you say "include us" you do mean as part of the press release,
> > right? Red Hat has included PostgreSQL to program in all their OS
> > releases since Red Hat 5.0.  RHEL AS 3 includes the PostgreSQL code (the
> > Red Hat enhanced version).

> Well certainly as part of their press release but even in other areas
> their support has been shoddy at best.  RHEL didn't include any rpms for
> postgresql on the server side when it was first released

WS and ES did not inlude the server side; AS did.

And they are available for download.

> only later was it added to RHN. Even now if you look on their "available
> application list" you'll see a couple of databases included, like DB2
> and MySQL, but I don't see PostgreSQL on that list.
> http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/applist_chart.html

This list appears to be third-party apps, which PostgreSQL isn't.  For Red
Hat, PostgreSQL is a first-party app.

> BTW - Don't get me wrong, I use Red Hat for some of my production
> servers and am currently running it at home, but they have been less
> vocal in their support of postgresql than I would like to see.  I
> certainly don't begrudge them because I would rather they contribute
> developers than press releases anyway, but I also think you have to give
> SCO points for what they have done as well.

For a long time, Red Hat's installation program (anaconda) listed a whole
section 'SQL server'.  This was, of course, PostgreSQL, and not MySQL.

My speculation is that they don't want Oracle to get mad at them.

But see
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/waf/rhea-ig-waf-en-6.0/ch-pre-install.html