Re: A dubious claim to fame ... - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: A dubious claim to fame ...
Date
Re: A dubious claim to fame ...  (Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 12:51, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Thursday 19 February 2004 11:40 am, Robert Treat wrote:
> > object-relational database management system PostgreSQL."  used by
> > anyone else.  Even our beloved Red Hat, who does so much for the
> > project, didn't even bother to include us in their "Advanced Server"
> > product line when it was released.
>
> When you say "include us" you do mean as part of the press release, right? Red
> Hat has included PostgreSQL to program in all their OS releases since Red Hat
> 5.0.  RHEL AS 3 includes the PostgreSQL code (the Red Hat enhanced version).

Well certainly as part of their press release but even in other areas
their support has been shoddy at best.  RHEL didn't include any rpms for
postgresql on the server side when it was first released (scan of
archives turns up some supporting evidence
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-11/msg00664.php) and
only later was it added to RHN. Even now if you look on their "available
application list" you'll see a couple of databases included, like DB2
and MySQL, but I don't see PostgreSQL on that list.
http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/applist_chart.html

BTW - Don't get me wrong, I use Red Hat for some of my production
servers and am currently running it at home, but they have been less
vocal in their support of postgresql than I would like to see.  I
certainly don't begrudge them because I would rather they contribute
developers than press releases anyway, but I also think you have to give
SCO points for what they have done as well.

Robert Treat