Re: A dubious claim to fame ... - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: A dubious claim to fame ...
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thursday 19 February 2004 04:06 pm, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 12:51, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > When you say "include us" you do mean as part of the press release,
> > right? Red Hat has included PostgreSQL to program in all their OS
> > releases since Red Hat 5.0.  RHEL AS 3 includes the PostgreSQL code (the
> > Red Hat enhanced version).

> Well certainly as part of their press release but even in other areas
> their support has been shoddy at best.  RHEL didn't include any rpms for
> postgresql on the server side when it was first released

WS and ES did not inlude the server side; AS did.

And they are available for download.

> only later was it added to RHN. Even now if you look on their "available
> application list" you'll see a couple of databases included, like DB2
> and MySQL, but I don't see PostgreSQL on that list.
> http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/applist_chart.html

This list appears to be third-party apps, which PostgreSQL isn't.  For Red
Hat, PostgreSQL is a first-party app.

> BTW - Don't get me wrong, I use Red Hat for some of my production
> servers and am currently running it at home, but they have been less
> vocal in their support of postgresql than I would like to see.  I
> certainly don't begrudge them because I would rather they contribute
> developers than press releases anyway, but I also think you have to give
> SCO points for what they have done as well.

For a long time, Red Hat's installation program (anaconda) listed a whole
section 'SQL server'.  This was, of course, PostgreSQL, and not MySQL.

My speculation is that they don't want Oracle to get mad at them.

But see
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/waf/rhea-ig-waf-en-6.0/ch-pre-install.html
--
Lamar Owen