Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Of course, while I was editing press releases at 2am, I started thinking about
our next version.   It seems certain that the next release, in 6-9 months,
will have at a minimum the Windows port and ARC, if not Slony-I as well.

Given all that, don't people think it's time to jump to 8.0?    Seems like
even 7.4 is hardly recognizable as the same database as 7.0.

I'm posting this to both Advocacy and Hackers because I think that some people
will have rather different points of view on the issue.   But I wanted to
start a discussion early this time.  No flamewars, please!   We all want
PostgreSQL to be the best possible database.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Neil Conway
Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> It seems certain that the next release, in 6-9 months, will have at
> a minimum the Windows port and ARC, if not Slony-I as well.
>
> Given all that, don't people think it's time to jump to 8.0?

It seems a little premature to speculate on what features may or may
not be present in 6 to 9 months time. Why make this decision now, when
we don't even know what will be in the next release, rather than at
the end of the development cycle?

-Neil

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus writes:

> Given all that, don't people think it's time to jump to 8.0?

As has been said before, many people think that a Windows port is the
least interesting feature ever to happen to PostgreSQL, so you're going to
have to come up with better reasons.  Also note that most major number
changes in the past weren't because the features were cool, but because
the project has moved to a new phase.  I don't see any such move
happening.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> As has been said before, many people think that a Windows port is the
> least interesting feature ever to happen to PostgreSQL, so you're going to
> have to come up with better reasons.

Yeah, I'm more interested in ARC and replication ... and the SQL
standardization that just went into 7.4.

 > Also note that most major number
> changes in the past weren't because the features were cool, but because
> the project has moved to a new phase.  I don't see any such move
> happening.

Now that is interesting.  I missed that.   Can you explain how that worked
with 7.0?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

  If Win32 actually makes it into 7.5 then yes I believe 8.0 would be
appropriate.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Of course, while I was editing press releases at 2am, I started thinking about
> our next version.   It seems certain that the next release, in 6-9 months,
> will have at a minimum the Windows port and ARC, if not Slony-I as well.
>
> Given all that, don't people think it's time to jump to 8.0?    Seems like
> even 7.4 is hardly recognizable as the same database as 7.0.
>
> I'm posting this to both Advocacy and Hackers because I think that some people
> will have rather different points of view on the issue.   But I wanted to
> start a discussion early this time.  No flamewars, please!   We all want
> PostgreSQL to be the best possible database.

--
Co-Founder
Command Prompt, Inc.

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
William Yu
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> As has been said before, many people think that a Windows port is the
> least interesting feature ever to happen to PostgreSQL, so you're going to
> have to come up with better reasons.  Also note that most major number
> changes in the past weren't because the features were cool, but because
> the project has moved to a new phase.  I don't see any such move
> happening.

What happens if Postgres hits 7.9 but still hasn't reached the next
phase? :)

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> As has been said before, many people think that a Windows port is the
> least interesting feature ever to happen to PostgreSQL, so you're going to

Yes but these are people running Unix/Linux/BSD not Windows ;)

--
Co-Founder
Command Prompt, Inc.
The wheel's spinning but the hamster's dead

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Given all that, don't people think it's time to jump to 8.0?  Seems like
> even 7.4 is hardly recognizable as the same database as 7.0.

Discussion like this tends to be more for just before beta, once we have
an idea what actually made it in :)  You be putting the cart before the
horse, eh?

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
>  > Also note that most major number
> > changes in the past weren't because the features were cool, but because
> > the project has moved to a new phase.  I don't see any such move
> > happening.
>
> Now that is interesting.  I missed that.   Can you explain how that worked
> with 7.0?

We stopped crashing in 7.0, or was it 6.5 --- that was our milestone, I
think.  :-)

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
Oops! josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> Given all that, don't people think it's time to jump to 8.0?  Seems
> like even 7.4 is hardly recognizable as the same database as 7.0.

If wishes were fishes...  Shouldn't we see what interesting features
actually _do_ make it in?

If Win32 support does get ready, and we get recursive queries (I'll
point out different TODO items :-)) and Slony-1, PITR, and cache
improvements make it in, then perhaps it's time to call it 8.0.  A
"cvs update -Pd" doesn't get me that yet, so it seems early.

I'd _almost_ buy the story that 7.4 should have been called 8.0,
although that _didn't_ happen because it 'just missed' PITR and Win32.

The amusing approach would be to jump straight to 8.1 :-).
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/postgresql.html

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Markus Bertheau
Date:
В Втр, 18.11.2003, в 00:43, William Yu пишет:

> What happens if Postgres hits 7.9 but still hasn't reached the next
> phase? :)

Easy - 7.10.

--
Markus Bertheau <twanger@bluetwanger.de>

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Maybe the criteria for 8.0 should be in place upgrades... that would be
a major shift in the landscape of PostgreSQL...

Robert Treat

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 21:20, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Oops! josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> > Given all that, don't people think it's time to jump to 8.0?  Seems
> > like even 7.4 is hardly recognizable as the same database as 7.0.
>
> If wishes were fishes...  Shouldn't we see what interesting features
> actually _do_ make it in?
>
> If Win32 support does get ready, and we get recursive queries (I'll
> point out different TODO items :-)) and Slony-1, PITR, and cache
> improvements make it in, then perhaps it's time to call it 8.0.  A
> "cvs update -Pd" doesn't get me that yet, so it seems early.
>
> I'd _almost_ buy the story that 7.4 should have been called 8.0,
> although that _didn't_ happen because it 'just missed' PITR and Win32.
>
> The amusing approach would be to jump straight to 8.1 :-).
> --
> wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
> http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/postgresql.html
> ..you could spend *all day* customizing the title bar.  Believe me.  I
> speak from experience." -- Matt Welsh

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Date:
> Oh, and yeah, a win32 port. Yay, another OS port. Postgres runs on dozens of
> OSes already. What's so exciting about one more? Even if it is a
> pathologically hard OS to port to. Just because it was hard doesn't mean it's
> useful.

Absolutely correct.
PostgreSQL runs on so many platforms. I cannot see a reason why we
should put effort in an inheritly nasty operating system which will
cause A LOT of pain in the future.
I can already hear the question we will have to face ...
People using PostgreSQL are not MySQL or Access people - they know why
they are using Linux. I have seen somebody asking for Windows once or
twice in 4 yours. Is it worth the effort?
Of course, many people use Windows - I can understand that for desktop
PCs but personally I am in a bit different situation. We support
PostgreSQL which means that people will cut my head off if something
does not work. I don't trust Windows and I don't want to hunt bugs in
PostgreSQL which are caused by an inferious and inheritly nasty
operating system.

As far as versioning is concerned: I am not in favour of pumping the
version number to number. Here in Austria we call those things
"versionitis" - it is a Windows-disease and should be cured.

We have never lost against a different database because of a lower
version number.

I'd make 8.0 a "network release" meaning that 2pc, replication and
things like that are supported.

    Regards,

        Hans V1.0

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Mike Mascari
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   If Win32 actually makes it into 7.5 then yes I believe 8.0 would be
> appropriate.

It might be interesting to track Oracle's version number viz. its
feature list. IOW, a PostgreSQL 8.0 database would be feature
equivalent to an Oracle 8.0 database. That would mean:

1) PITR
2) Distributed Tx
3) Replication
4) Nested Tx
5) PL/SQL Exception Handling

IMHO, a major version number jump should at least match the delta in
features one finds in the commercial segment with their major version
number bumps. Otherwise, I suspect it would be viewed as window
dressing...

Could be wrong, though...

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com

Re: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Christopher Browne wrote:

> Oops! josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
>> Given all that, don't people think it's time to jump to 8.0?  Seems
>> like even 7.4 is hardly recognizable as the same database as 7.0.
>
> If wishes were fishes...  Shouldn't we see what interesting features
> actually _do_ make it in?
>
> If Win32 support does get ready, and we get recursive queries (I'll
> point out different TODO items :-)) and Slony-1, PITR, and cache
> improvements make it in, then perhaps it's time to call it 8.0.  A
> "cvs update -Pd" doesn't get me that yet, so it seems early.
>
> I'd _almost_ buy the story that 7.4 should have been called 8.0,
> although that _didn't_ happen because it 'just missed' PITR and Win32.
>
> The amusing approach would be to jump straight to 8.1 :-).

The real fun would be to let it start as 8, then 8.1 and so on ...

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Peter wrote:
>> Also note that most major number
>> changes in the past weren't because the features were cool, but because
>> the project has moved to a new phase.  I don't see any such move
>> happening.

> Now that is interesting.  I missed that.   Can you explain how that worked
> with 7.0?

Personally I thought that the 6.5->7.0 jump was a mistake ... but that's
water over the dam now.

I would be willing to call a PG release 8.0 when it has built-in
replication support --- that would be the sort of major-league
functionality jump that would justify a top-number bump.

There are not that many other plausible reasons for a top-number bump
that I can think of right now.  PG is really getting to be a pretty
mature product, and ISTM that should be reflected in a disinclination
to call it "all new".

You can be dead certain that a Windows port will not be sufficient
reason to call it 8.0.  Perhaps 6.6.6 would the right starting version
number for that one ;-)

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Enrico Weigelt
Date:
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

<snip>
> I would be willing to call a PG release 8.0 when it has built-in
> replication support --- that would be the sort of major-league
> functionality jump that would justify a top-number bump.
ACK.
A major release (for me) implies some really major improvement.
Replication would be such a thing.

BTW: is there anything working yet in this direction ?
I know several "userland" implementations (w/ triggers), and I also
doing symetric (masterless) replication in my middleware framework,
but when will pgsql be able to do it by itself ?
And when will probably load balancing come ?

hmm, which commerical RDBMS (beside oracle) provide this already ?

<snip>
> You can be dead certain that a Windows port will not be sufficient
> reason to call it 8.0.  Perhaps 6.6.6 would the right starting version
> number for that one ;-)
*rofl*

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

Date:
Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > I would be willing to call a PG release 8.0 when it has built-in
> > replication support --- that would be the sort of major-league
> > functionality jump that would justify a top-number bump.
> ACK.
> A major release (for me) implies some really major improvement.
> Replication would be such a thing.
>
> BTW: is there anything working yet in this direction ?
> I know several "userland" implementations (w/ triggers), and I also
> doing symetric (masterless) replication in my middleware framework,
> but when will pgsql be able to do it by itself ?
> And when will probably load balancing come ?

All replication work is being done as add-ons because then people can
choose the replication solution that works best for them.  We don't
think a single solution can fit all needs.

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
> BTW: is there anything working yet in this direction ?
> I know several "userland" implementations (w/ triggers), and I also
> doing symetric (masterless) replication in my middleware framework,
> but when will pgsql be able to do it by itself ?

There is only one production and shipping replication that does not
require triggers that I know of and that is ours (Command Prompt).
It is also not a userland app but actually part of the PostgreSQL engine.

There is also ERServer which was first (?) but it tends to be a bit
of a beast to maintain.

There is Slony-I which is showing promise but is a Trigger based option.

Others include Peer Direct (Which I believe is query based) and
PgCluster which is query based.

Each solution has pro's and cons. Slony-I for example appears to be
better when doing mass updates or deletes than Replicator.

On the argument of significant features for 7.5:

Win32 Native
PITR
Nested Transactions
Background Writer....

> And when will probably load balancing come ?
>
> hmm, which commerical RDBMS (beside oracle) provide this already ?
>
> <snip>
>
>>You can be dead certain that a Windows port will not be sufficient
>>reason to call it 8.0.  Perhaps 6.6.6 would the right starting version
>>number for that one ;-)
>
> *rofl*
>
> cu

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Enrico Weigelt
Date:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

<snip>
> All replication work is being done as add-ons because then people can
> choose the replication solution that works best for them.  We don't
> think a single solution can fit all needs.
hmm. I didn't have the time yet to google about them ...

Where do the come in ?
Hast the postmaster to be patched and recompiled ?

Is there anywhere an overview about them ?
Are they publically available w/o fees ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Enrico Weigelt
Date:
* Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

<snip>
> There is only one production and shipping replication that does not
> require triggers that I know of and that is ours (Command Prompt).
> It is also not a userland app but actually part of the PostgreSQL engine.
Ah. Has pgsql to be patched for that or can it be simply dropped-in
like external (C) functions/procedures ?

What about lazy replication (i.e. when some node is running but not
online for a while), masterless replication (all nodes are equal)
or journaling ?
My application/framework-level solves this, but
a) requires some special table layout (first attrs have to be inode+mtime),
b) not suited for high update-rates (relly too slow for that)
but it is already working quite stable for several years :)

<snip>
> Each solution has pro's and cons. Slony-I for example appears to be
> better when doing mass updates or deletes than Replicator.
yeah, on subsequent mass-updates on just one host per table at certain time,
my stuff is also good, since it works w/ batching. but when multiple hosts
do heavy updates on the same table, it may run into conflicts.

<snip>
> On the argument of significant features for 7.5:
>
> Win32 Native
> PITR
Stupid question: whats PITR ?
> Nested Transactions
> Background Writer....
Background-Write = write-behind ?

BTW: how stable is the current pgsql against powerfails or kill -9 ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

This is probably better suited for something not on pgsql-advocacy. I
will respond offlist.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>There is only one production and shipping replication that does not
>>require triggers that I know of and that is ours (Command Prompt).
>>It is also not a userland app but actually part of the PostgreSQL engine.
>
> Ah. Has pgsql to be patched for that or can it be simply dropped-in
> like external (C) functions/procedures ?
>
> What about lazy replication (i.e. when some node is running but not
> online for a while), masterless replication (all nodes are equal)
> or journaling ?
> My application/framework-level solves this, but
> a) requires some special table layout (first attrs have to be inode+mtime),
> b) not suited for high update-rates (relly too slow for that)
> but it is already working quite stable for several years :)
>
> <snip>
>
>>Each solution has pro's and cons. Slony-I for example appears to be
>>better when doing mass updates or deletes than Replicator.
>
> yeah, on subsequent mass-updates on just one host per table at certain time,
> my stuff is also good, since it works w/ batching. but when multiple hosts
> do heavy updates on the same table, it may run into conflicts.
>
> <snip>
>
>>On the argument of significant features for 7.5:
>>
>>Win32 Native
>>PITR
>
> Stupid question: whats PITR ?
>
>>Nested Transactions
>>Background Writer....
>
> Background-Write = write-behind ?
>
> BTW: how stable is the current pgsql against powerfails or kill -9 ?
>

> cu

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Where do the come in ?
> Hast the postmaster to be patched and recompiled ?

No.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php

> Are they publically available w/o fees ?

Yes.

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
David Garamond
Date:
This probably has been discussed and is probably a very minor point, but
consider how many more years we want to be able to use the <single
digit>.<single digit> major release numbering.

Assuming 1 year between major releases (7.3.0 -> 7.4.0 = +- 1 year),
then we have 7.5-9.9 = 26 years = up until +- jul 2030. if we skip to
8.0 now, then we have up until 2023.

Also we have 1 more chance to skip major number: 8.x -> 9.0. Imagine
what features will there be in 9.0 that is ground-breaking enough.
Because after that, we don't have any more major number to jump into
without going into 2 digits.

I personally don't see the major number as a very magical thing. Look at
Linux for example. People still see 2.6 as very different/ahead compared
to 2.4...

--
dave

Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Markus Bertheau
Date:
В Сбт, 05.06.2004, в 10:28, David Garamond пишет:
> This probably has been discussed and is probably a very minor point, but
> consider how many more years we want to be able to use the <single
> digit>.<single digit> major release numbering.
>
> Assuming 1 year between major releases (7.3.0 -> 7.4.0 = +- 1 year),
> then we have 7.5-9.9 = 26 years = up until +- jul 2030. if we skip to
> 8.0 now, then we have up until 2023.
>
> Also we have 1 more chance to skip major number: 8.x -> 9.0. Imagine
> what features will there be in 9.0 that is ground-breaking enough.
> Because after that, we don't have any more major number to jump into
> without going into 2 digits.

What's the problem with 7.10?