PostgreSQL Certification

From
Diogo Biazus
Date:
Hi, I would like to know what the people on the list think about the
creation of a PostgreSQL Official Certification Standard.
Is there anything like this being developed?
I remenber that this was one of the itens in an advocacy TODO list that
Justin sent once to the list.
IMHO It would bring several benefits like:

- Creating a standard in PostgreSQL training all over the world.
- Creating a certification on which people and companies could truly
rely on.
- Preventing people who never contributed to the project in any way to
make money with certification and bring money to people who would
dedicate some time to the comunity.
- It would make the community a little bit stronger, I guess.

I know that's easy to say, but not to do. I'm really willing to help any
effort in this direction.

My Regards,

--
Diogo Biazus
diogo@ikono.com.br

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

Date:
Diogo Biazus wrote:

> Hi, I would like to know what the people on the list think about the
> creation of a PostgreSQL Official Certification Standard.
> Is there anything like this being developed?
> I remenber that this was one of the itens in an advocacy TODO list that
> Justin sent once to the list.
> IMHO It would bring several benefits like:
>
> - Creating a standard in PostgreSQL training all over the world.
> - Creating a certification on which people and companies could truly
> rely on.
> - Preventing people who never contributed to the project in any way to
> make money with certification and bring money to people who would
> dedicate some time to the comunity.
> - It would make the community a little bit stronger, I guess.
>
> I know that's easy to say, but not to do. I'm really willing to help any
> effort in this direction.

This seems very hard to do.  How do we decide which companies qualify?

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

  Anything like this would probably need to be set up like the LPI is
setup. Perhaps a non
profit supported by major PostgreSQL backers?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Diogo Biazus wrote:
>

>>Hi, I would like to know what the people on the list think about the
>>creation of a PostgreSQL Official Certification Standard.
>>Is there anything like this being developed?
>>I remenber that this was one of the itens in an advocacy TODO list that
>>Justin sent once to the list.
>>IMHO It would bring several benefits like:
>>
>>- Creating a standard in PostgreSQL training all over the world.
>>- Creating a certification on which people and companies could truly
>>rely on.
>>- Preventing people who never contributed to the project in any way to
>>make money with certification and bring money to people who would
>>dedicate some time to the comunity.
>>- It would make the community a little bit stronger, I guess.
>>
>>I know that's easy to say, but not to do. I'm really willing to help any
>>effort in this direction.
>>

>This seems very hard to do.  How do we decide which companies qualify?

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Anything like this would probably need to be set up like the LPI is
> setup. Perhaps a non
> profit supported by major PostgreSQL backers?

Yes, we could do that, but with structure, there comes power, and with
power, arguments.  Is it worth the risk?

I would like to see more benefit than just certification before I think
such a bureaucracy is worth it.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>- Creating a standard in PostgreSQL training all over the world.
>>- Creating a certification on which people and companies could truly
>>rely on.
>>- Preventing people who never contributed to the project in any way to
>>make money with certification and bring money to people who would
>>dedicate some time to the comunity.
>>- It would make the community a little bit stronger, I guess.
>>

>This seems very hard to do.  How do we decide which companies qualify?

First we would have to define what a certified person should be able to
do, and then develop a descriptive document.
The company which is trying to get the certification would send the
program of the
course, and it will have to fit in some predefined rules like the
certification exam.
Perhaps the company would pay a fee to a non-profit organization (like
Joshua wrote in another email) in order to suport the certification
structure.

Other benefit is that it's an incentive for those who want to work with
PostgreSQL training in their countries,
after all it would be an internationaly recognized certificate, this
makes the taining course more atractive.
And it's good for the database adminitrators too.

We could count on the regional contacts (me for example) to make the
necessary translations and contacts.
I know that the third item on my list may be not a very good idea,
that's why I want to discuss it.
But to have a standard in certification programs would be very good
apart from that.

My regards,

--

Date:
>Yes, we could do that, but with structure, there comes power, and with
>power, arguments.  Is it worth the risk?

Probably not. Who would be a part of it?

PgSQL, Command Prompt, Red Hat, SRA? Seems like a pretty big hassle.

>I would like to see more benefit than just certification before I think
>such a bureaucracy is worth it.

Personally, I don't see a need. There are two Linux certifications of any
relevance, only one of those actually matters (yes I know I contradicted
myself).
That is the RedHat one.

Also, although certification has some merit I would rather see our attention
go more towards marketing and converting developers.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
The world rejoiced as jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
>>Yes, we could do that, but with structure, there comes power, and with
>>power, arguments.  Is it worth the risk?
>>
> Probably not. Who would be a part of it?
>
> PgSQL, Command Prompt, Red Hat, SRA? Seems like a pretty big hassle.

And it begs the question of what the _specific_ value of it is
supposed to be.

The merit of Oracle certification is that it allows you to "put out
your shingle" and be able to claim competence to (accept a DBA
job|attract an Oracle contract).

In contrast, if someone has (Informix|DB/2|Anything Less Popular)
certification, this represents, at most, some _vague_ indication that
they know something about some database.

The only way for a PostgreSQL 'certification' to be of much value
would be if we could expect that hundreds/thousands of people would
GET HIRED as a result of having the certification.  That doesn't seem
too likely in any near term, which would make the process, yes,
indeed, a pretty futile "big hassle."

I don't think that terribly many people have actually GOTTEN HIRED as
a result of having LPI Linux certification; the RHAT courses may be
_marginally_ more valuable simply in view of the hefty cost
associating some cachet of value to them, but only marginally so.

What _would_ be valuable would be for there to be some form of
"professional development."  The valuable (and expensive) form of that
would be to catch one or another of the "Open Source" conferences with
a PostgreSQL track, such as the Portland thing last summer.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ntlug.org';
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/multiplexor.html

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Christopher Browne wrote:

> What _would_ be valuable would be for there to be some form of
> "professional development."  The valuable (and expensive) form of that
> would be to catch one or another of the "Open Source" conferences with
> a PostgreSQL track,

>     such as the Portland thing last summer.

And next summer also.

Rod

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Diogo Biazus wrote:

I've been out of this for so long I can't be sure but isn't there some
generic DBA/DBM certification processes to build on?

> First we would have to define what a certified person should be able to
> do, and then develop a descriptive document.
> The company which is trying to get the certification would send the
> program of the
> course, and it will have to fit in some predefined rules like the
> certification exam.

[BIG snip]

Rod

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris,

> What _would_ be valuable would be for there to be some form of
> "professional development."  The valuable (and expensive) form of that
> would be to catch one or another of the "Open Source" conferences with
> a PostgreSQL track, such as the Portland thing last summer.

Well, the valuable thing about the certification is not the certification
itself but the certification *course*.  Currently, I get asked questions
about PostgreSQL training and PostgreSQL certifications a *lot*;  I just got
back from PHPCon, for example, and 4 people there asked me about professional
training.

So what we need are professional training courses that provide some basic
level of PostgreSQL competency.  If we have those training courses, then the
certificate becomes "icing on the cake"; it lets the bean-counters justify
the cost for existing employees, and trainees beef up there resume'.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >Yes, we could do that, but with structure, there comes power, and with
> >power, arguments.  Is it worth the risk?
> >

> Probably not. Who would be a part of it?
>
> PgSQL, Command Prompt, Red Hat, SRA? Seems like a pretty big hassle.
>
> >I would like to see more benefit than just certification before I think
> >such a bureaucracy is worth it.
> >

> Personally, I don't see a need. There are two Linux certifications of any
> relevance, only one of those actually matters (yes I know I contradicted
> myself).
> That is the RedHat one.
>
> Also, although certification has some merit I would rather see our attention
> go more towards marketing and converting developers.

One more point --- I often get questions from folks no familiar with
open source who want to know who controls PostgreSQL (of course, no
one).  But, if we had a foundation, even in name only, they would think
the foundation controls PostgreSQL development and features.  They just
_want_ to think someone is in central control, and having a foundation
just confuses the issue.  They have to understand PostgreSQL is run by
consensus and anything that confuses that makes our job harder in
getting them to understand open source.  I just had a conference call
today where this exact confusion came up.

Date:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) wrote:
> Chris,
>
>> What _would_ be valuable would be for there to be some form of
>> "professional development."  The valuable (and expensive) form of that
>> would be to catch one or another of the "Open Source" conferences with
>> a PostgreSQL track, such as the Portland thing last summer.
>
> Well, the valuable thing about the certification is not the
> certification itself but the certification *course*.  Currently, I
> get asked questions about PostgreSQL training and PostgreSQL
> certifications a *lot*; I just got back from PHPCon, for example,
> and 4 people there asked me about professional training.
>
> So what we need are professional training courses that provide some
> basic level of PostgreSQL competency.  If we have those training
> courses, then the certificate becomes "icing on the cake"; it lets
> the bean-counters justify the cost for existing employees, and
> trainees beef up there resume'.

I did a tutorial last weekend, with somewhat mixed results.

I had two parts to it, which I could not have conceivably gone through
in the 3.5h I had available.

- Part I was a quick review of relational algebra, essentially
  answering the question "what's the point of relational databases?",
  followed by the tutorial from the PostgreSQL documentation set.

- Part II walked through a bunch of the "nifty bits," motivating
  PG features that are particularly useful/nifty, and why.

  - A quick sprint through normalization;
  - MVCC;
  - Quick list of performance tuning actions;
  - Sequences (and their use)
  - Backups
  - Why avoid NULLs?
  - A review of security
  - Some of the "idioms" (e.g. - what to do rather than MAX(COLUMN))
  - Licensing Issues

  I sprinted through most of it.  Got one report back that the
  performance tuning material was pretty useful.

The "borrowed-tutorial" is probably 4 hours to present properly, and I
think it's not rightly targeted to a "course."

The problem is that what it ISN'T is a document that gives an
internally coherent view of either SQL or PostgreSQL functionality.

It rather rather has, as its target, people that need material that
helps scatter their attention across the features, and where the lack
of internal coherence is _perfectly fine_ because it links to other
parts of the documentation set which supports the "comprehensive"
aspect.

An example of a more comprehensive tutorial is the following:
  <http://firstsql.com/tutor.htm>

It nicely presents a structure of the major aspects of SQL
functionality, and seems a better model for an "SQL overview," at
least for "teaching" purposes.

A proper "curriculum" needs to cover a pretty comprehensive set of
material, including SQL-in-Detail, as well as an hour or two apiece on
topics like MVCC, backups, sequences, stored procedures, triggers,
rules, and probably a number of others, complete with examples as well
as "war stories."

Doing this right won't be particularly cheap.  And the places where it
would be valuable are those where the approach would be for a
"consultant" (or more likely a team of two) to go in for two or three
days to present material at a company planning adoption of PostgreSQL.

There's a bit of chicken-and-egg to that; it's not worth preparing
curriculum unless there is interest, and there won't be interest
unless someone has proven curriculum.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spiritual.html

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Chris,
>
> > What _would_ be valuable would be for there to be some form of
> > "professional development."  The valuable (and expensive) form of that
> > would be to catch one or another of the "Open Source" conferences with
> > a PostgreSQL track, such as the Portland thing last summer.
>
> Well, the valuable thing about the certification is not the certification
> itself but the certification *course*.  Currently, I get asked questions
> about PostgreSQL training and PostgreSQL certifications a *lot*;  I just got
> back from PHPCon, for example, and 4 people there asked me about professional
> training.
>
> So what we need are professional training courses that provide some basic
> level of PostgreSQL competency.  If we have those training courses, then the
> certificate becomes "icing on the cake"; it lets the bean-counters justify
> the cost for existing employees, and trainees beef up there resume'.

I did the training in Atlanta and we only had a few people for the
course.  If there are tons of people who want training, they aren't
coming to my course.  :-(

However, I will try to keep offering it every 6 months just so we can
say we have a full-week training course.

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus writes:

> So what we need are professional training courses that provide some basic
> level of PostgreSQL competency.  If we have those training courses, then the
> certificate becomes "icing on the cake"; it lets the bean-counters justify
> the cost for existing employees, and trainees beef up there resume'.

A brief look around showed me for example the following training courses
for PostgreSQL:

http://www.dextra.com.br/servicos/treinamento/pg/postgres.htm
http://www.postgresql.org/events/168.html
http://www.bignerdranch.com/Classes/Postgresql.html
http://www.linuxhotel.de/postgres.html

I'm sure there are a lot more.

Just imagine for a moment the real effort one would have to go through to
even informally harmonize the curricula between the courses, and then make
that curriculum fit into the other constraints that such an event comes
with.  That sounds impossible to me.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
Kaarel
Date:
> One more point --- I often get questions from folks no familiar with
> open source who want to know who controls PostgreSQL (of course, no
> one).  But, if we had a foundation, even in name only, they would think
> the foundation controls PostgreSQL development and features.  They just
> _want_ to think someone is in central control, and having a foundation
> just confuses the issue.  They have to understand PostgreSQL is run by
> consensus and anything that confuses that makes our job harder in
> getting them to understand open source.  I just had a conference call
> today where this exact confusion came up.

I don't have any personal strong preferences currently against a
foundation nor for the foundation. However, looking at the Mozilla
Foundation and realizing the two projects (Mozilla and PostgreSQL) are
quite different, the idea in general might still be worth some discussion.

Kaarel

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 06:24:16PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> The only way for a PostgreSQL 'certification' to be of much value
> would be if we could expect that hundreds/thousands of people would
> GET HIRED as a result of having the certification.  That doesn't seem

That would require at least hundreds of companies to be advertising
for PostgreSQL DBAs.  A quick scan of the standard job boards doesn't
turn that up.  Maybe we should try working more on that.  No need to
flood a demand-less world with supply.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Date:
On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:36:11PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> one).  But, if we had a foundation, even in name only, they would think
> the foundation controls PostgreSQL development and features.  They just
> _want_ to think someone is in central control, and having a foundation
> just confuses the issue.  They have to understand PostgreSQL is run by

Thought I'd mention that I too have had this experience.  It is
especially difficult in the era of Linux, because people think of
Linux as being controlled by him (and in some sense it is).  So they
want to know who controlls PostgreSQL.  Indeed, even the "core"
developer group is fetishized (in the Marxian sense) by certain
manager types I've met.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:36:11PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > one).  But, if we had a foundation, even in name only, they would think
> > the foundation controls PostgreSQL development and features.  They just
> > _want_ to think someone is in central control, and having a foundation
> > just confuses the issue.  They have to understand PostgreSQL is run by
>
> Thought I'd mention that I too have had this experience.  It is
> especially difficult in the era of Linux, because people think of
> Linux as being controlled by him (and in some sense it is).  So they
> want to know who controlls PostgreSQL.  Indeed, even the "core"
> developer group is fetishized (in the Marxian sense) by certain
> manager types I've met.

Yes, and to the extent we centralize control, we take away control from
the larger group, which is where the control really belongs.

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andrew, Bruce,

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:36:11PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > one).  But, if we had a foundation, even in name only, they would think
> > the foundation controls PostgreSQL development and features.  They just
> > _want_ to think someone is in central control, and having a foundation
> > just confuses the issue.  They have to understand PostgreSQL is run by
>
> Thought I'd mention that I too have had this experience.  It is
> especially difficult in the era of Linux, because people think of
> Linux as being controlled by him (and in some sense it is).

I'll concur with this issue; I can't count the number of times I've said
"PostgreSQL Inc., a private company not directly associated with the
PostgreSQL Global Development Group" when recommending Geoff and his crew.
Americans (and presumably others) are just not comfortable thinking about
anarchistic organizations (and no, that's not an oxymoron).  They want an
Authority to be in charge.  Sort of makes you sad for the state of political
consciousness ....

Anyway, regarding certification, I was more thinking that one-to-several of
the current PG support vendors would develop a curriculum, and then several
major contributors + core group members would review & approve it.  I do
think we need a foundation (and will have one) but for fundraising only; it's
important that such a foundation have no authority over the program.

And I do think it's important that we don't end up with 4 competing
certifications each supported by only one vendor.  That way lies madness.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

>I'll concur with this issue; I can't count the number of times I've said
>"PostgreSQL Inc., a private company not directly associated with the
>PostgreSQL Global Development Group" when recommending Geoff and his crew.
>Americans (and presumably others) are just not comfortable thinking about
>anarchistic organizations (and no, that's not an oxymoron).  They want an
>Authority to be in charge.  Sort of makes you sad for the state of political
>consciousness ....

Sure, it happens here in Brazil in a similar way.

>Anyway, regarding certification, I was more thinking that one-to-several of
>the current PG support vendors would develop a curriculum, and then several
>major contributors + core group members would review & approve it.

That's a good idea, but to review that curriculum it would be good to
have some predefined criteria, that's when the standard comes.

>I do think we need a foundation (and will have one) but for fundraising only; it's
>important that such a foundation have no authority over the program.

I agree, but in the case of the certification the foundation could be
responsible for approving the curriliculum with major contributors +
core group members.

>And I do think it's important that we don't end up with 4 competing
>certifications each supported by only one vendor.  That way lies madness.

Here in Brazil we already have 2 certification programs, and the way
that PgSQL is becoming popular around here I expect this number to grow
in a near future. If it's dificult to make a standard now, maybe in some
years it will become nearly impossible.

My Regards,

--
Diogo Biazus
diogo@ikono.com.br
http://www.ikono.com.br

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

Date:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
[ PGP not available, raw data follows ]

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Anyway, regarding certification, I was more thinking that one-to-several of
> > the current PG support vendors would develop a curriculum, and then several
> > major contributors + core group members would review & approve it.  I do
> > think we need a foundation (and will have one) but for fundraising only; it's
> > important that such a foundation have no authority over the program.
>
> As a PgSQL Inc. Platinum Partner, I'd choose a PGDG approved
> Certification. We have a PostgreSQL curriculum in Turkey; but I'm pretty
> aware that an PGDG-approved one would sound better to people; with a
> ...err...signed certification from PGDG.
>
> BTW, I've been thinking of directly fundraising PGDG directly for a while
> so I'm glad to hear that we are closer to it.

How do we evaluate those classes?  Is someone going to be there?  We can
look at the printed curriculum, but do we know the instructor can answer
a reasonable question _not_ on the curriculum?  How do we tell a company
we will _not_ cerify their course?

As you can see, this could get messy.

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

Date:
Diogo Biazus wrote:
> >And I do think it's important that we don't end up with 4 competing
> >certifications each supported by only one vendor.  That way lies madness.
> >
> Here in Brazil we already have 2 certification programs, and the way
> that PgSQL is becoming popular around here I expect this number to grow
> in a near future. If it's difficult to make a standard now, maybe in some
> years it will become nearly impossible.

Let me add one more thing --- some companies desire an "official"
certification to distinguish them from potential future companies
getting into the PostgreSQL support market in their geographical area.
I can sympathize with that, particularly because a large company could
come into their area and grab much of their business.

However, I think part of our future success will be having more and more
companies spring up to meet user's needs, and offering global coverage
similar to only very large companies.

For small companies, I have encouraged them to get one of their
developers involved part-time in PostgreSQL development --- with someone
on their staff intimately involved in PostgreSQL development, it will be
harder for a larger company to come in and offer superior service.

Date:

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Hi guys,

I've been watching this thread for the last little while and I'd like to contribute a little of my own thoughts. In the province of Ontario if you want to create courseware under the "Private Vocational School Act", that's your typical IT school folks, you need to describe the conduct of each class down to a minute by minute description. The course is vetted and approved by the government's own education professionals who may or may not know anything about postgres but they sure as hell know the business of education and can recognize whether or not somebody is competent and knows enough to be trusted and to receive government approval, which by the way takes the form of money, lots of it i.e. in the form of student loan funding for the educational institution to take that course.

If the postgres community wants certification then here's one way I believe it could be done:

1. write a text book / develop courseware
2. use the book in a local college environment
3. after running a couple of cycles of running the course then make a formal pitch at the local govt responsible for funding of educational institutions
4. run another couple of cycles of the course now in its sanctioned format (you are by the way further refining the text book)
5. now create a corporate (non profit maybe) structure that takes over and takes the necesary steps to get it into the prometric testing infra-structure (or comptia.. whatever)
6. offer the text book as the reference for certification.

If the core development group is willing to give its blessing to the force behind this courseware then it's just a matter of going through the steps and not making enemies as you go through the motions. I know of people who have already done most of these steps within their own specialization.

Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

How do we evaluate those classes?  Is someone going to be there?  We can
look at the printed curriculum, but do we know the instructor can answer
a reasonable question _not_ on the curriculum?  How do we tell a company
we will _not_ cerify their course?
What about certifiying the instructor first? I mean: 'PGDG Certified
Instructors'. If I'm a PGDG Certified instructor, everyone should be sure
that I could answare almost 'any' question about PostgreSQL.

Ok, let's see the point: We are running an open-source product, that has
no company with it. I'd prefer a class that will be certified by a company
or Development Group. For example, there are a lot of Linux Classes in
here; but when I feel that I need to take a certificate, I'd prefer Red
Hat's exams. So, there may be a lot of PostgreSQL classes everywhere --but
I'm pretty sure that people will choose a (PGDG) certified class.

All you need to say is 'PGDG Certifies XX Company's Courses'; you do not
need to announce the opposite.

Date:
>What about certifiying the instructor first? I mean: 'PGDG Certified
>Instructors'. If I'm a PGDG Certified instructor, everyone should be sure
>that I could answare almost 'any' question about PostgreSQL.

I don't think that is a good first run. For example, I am a hell of a
PostgreSQL
tuner. I can get into a database and make analysis of problems that can
be solved by different processes, schema changes, postgresql.conf changes
etc...

I know only the basics of pl/pgSQL. Enough to write a function/trigger when
relevant.

Of course some of my other programmers are quite adept and pl/pgSQL but
they aren't as adept with the actual DBA type stuff.

There is no "one hat". That is why the MCSE is crap because it assumes that
once reached you are a "one hat" answer.

Back when I was in MS hell, and would take classes on things like
Exchange. The
certified "Instructor" never knew almost "any" question. They were always
very strong in one or two areas.

To me it makes more sense to have individual certifications that encompass
small ranges of talents. Similar to the Comp Tia A+, where there is A+
networks, A+ Windows,
A+ Linux etc....

We could have:

PGDG Administrator
PGDG Developer C/C++
PGDG Developer Java
PGDG Developer .Net
PGDG SQL specialist

I am just blowing wind at this point to provide examples.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> How do we evaluate those classes?  Is someone going to be there?  We can
> look at the printed curriculum, but do we know the instructor can answer
> a reasonable question _not_ on the curriculum?  How do we tell a company
> we will _not_ cerify their course?
>
> As you can see, this could get messy.

People are providing commercial support without PGDG approval, people are
repackaging PostgreSQL without PGDG approval, people are writing books
without PGDG approval, people are offering training classes without PGDG
approval -- all of these things work well, and they provide for choice,
diversity, and competition.  I see no need for centralized curricula.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
Jon Ericson
Date:
Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:

[an outline of a tutorial]
>   - Why avoid NULLs?

I'm curious about the answer to that question.  Is it a relational
database theory problem or PostgreSQL implementation issue?  Or do you
just talk about inappropriate uses of NULL?

Thanks,
Jon
--
  But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for
  yourselves this day whom you will serve . . . But as for me and my

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Date:
Hi to all

I have to disagree.
You cannot just divide PostgreSQL into various sections.
People tend to think that tuning is nothing more than setting some
server side parameter which not true at all. Also, knowing something
about writing C/C++ applications with PostgreSQL does not mean that this
person will be able to write good software if he doesn't know about
other aspects of the system.
PostgreSQL is a powerful system but it is still small enough to
understand it and to be a DBA as well as a tuner or a C/C++ programmer.
I can understand your approach - it can be used for Oracle or let's say
SAP but not for PostgreSQL.
If somebody wants to certify other people he has to know more about the
system and there needs to be at least one expert who has enough
experience to do the job.

Some people have asked for certification in the past but meanwhile I
think that preparing a certification guide and all that stuff is not
worth the effort.

    Best regards,

        Hans

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> What about certifiying the instructor first? I mean: 'PGDG Certified
>> Instructors'. If I'm a PGDG Certified instructor, everyone should be
>> sure that I could answare almost 'any' question about PostgreSQL.
>>

> I don't think that is a good first run. For example, I am a hell of a
> PostgreSQL
> tuner. I can get into a database and make analysis of problems that can
> be solved by different processes, schema changes, postgresql.conf changes
> etc...
>
> I know only the basics of pl/pgSQL. Enough to write a function/trigger when
> relevant.
>
> Of course some of my other programmers are quite adept and pl/pgSQL but
> they aren't as adept with the actual DBA type stuff.
>
> There is no "one hat". That is why the MCSE is crap because it assumes that
> once reached you are a "one hat" answer.
> Back when I was in MS hell, and would take classes on things like
> Exchange. The
> certified "Instructor" never knew almost "any" question. They were always
> very strong in one or two areas.
>
> To me it makes more sense to have individual certifications that encompass
> small ranges of talents. Similar to the Comp Tia A+, where there is A+
> networks, A+ Windows,
> A+ Linux etc....
>
> We could have:
>
> PGDG Administrator
> PGDG Developer C/C++
> PGDG Developer Java
> PGDG Developer .Net
> PGDG SQL specialist
>
> I am just blowing wind at this point to provide examples.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua Drake
>

>> Ok, let's see the point: We are running an open-source product, that
>> has no company with it. I'd prefer a class that will be certified by a
>> company or Development Group. For example, there are a lot of Linux
>> Classes in here; but when I feel that I need to take a certificate,
>> I'd prefer Red Hat's exams. So, there may be a lot of PostgreSQL
>> classes everywhere --but I'm pretty sure that people will choose a
>> (PGDG) certified class.
>>
>> All you need to say is 'PGDG Certifies XX Company's Courses'; you do
>> not need to announce the opposite.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Devrim GUNDUZ
>> devrim@gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr
>>             http://www.tdmsoft.com
>>             http://www.gunduz.org

>> TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria

Date:
Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov (Jon Ericson) writes:
> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
> [an outline of a tutorial]
>>   - Why avoid NULLs?
>
> I'm curious about the answer to that question.  Is it a relational
> database theory problem or PostgreSQL implementation issue?  Or do
> you just talk about inappropriate uses of NULL?

It somewhat parallels the infamous "GOTO considered harmful" that
caused great controversy around the ACM for many years after Dijkstra
sent in a letter by that title, and yes, it's an issue of "relational
database theory."

At one extreme, Chris Date holds to the position that NULLs ought to
be forbidden outright.  He does make a fairly credible case for it,
albeit with the problem that when you forbid NULLs, you have to
replace them by making the data model a little more complex.  (He
recently released a paper on how to do this; there's not much surprise
to it; whenever a column "could be NULL," you have to split it off to
a separate table so that its omission amounts to not bothering to
populate the new table...)

The other "major" position is that there should be multiple sorts of
'NULL' values to indicate different forms of missing information.
(One problem with NULL is that you can't easily distinguish between "I
left that NULL because I didn't know the value" and "That's NULL
because that's how we say it's 'empty.'")

I fall more into the pragmatic position that "NULL columns have the
potential to cause a lot of confusion; use NOT NULL when you can, and
be wary when you can't."

It's similar to how I feel about normalization; I would consider that
you should do as much of that as you can, but it is unlikely that a
data model will survive the normal collisions with business
requirements and still remain in 6NF.

The most entertaining comment I got in chatting with folks afterwards
was that one fellow held a "devil's advocate" position on putting
everything in 3NF.  A coworker of his, fresh out of school, was
claiming staunchly that it is NECESSARY to normalize things to at
least the point of getting to Third Normal Form.

Unfortunately, he couldn't articulate any reasons to do so beyond "My
professor told me that it's necessary."  I daresay that's _not_ a good
enough reason.  You need to internalize, at least to _some_ degree,
why normalization is valuable in order to successfully argue for it.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html

Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Christopher Browne wrote:
> Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov (Jon Ericson) writes:
>> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
>> [an outline of a tutorial]
>>>   - Why avoid NULLs?
>>
>> I'm curious about the answer to that question.  Is it a relational
>> database theory problem or PostgreSQL implementation issue?  Or do
>> you just talk about inappropriate uses of NULL?
>
> It somewhat parallels the infamous "GOTO considered harmful" that
> caused great controversy around the ACM for many years after Dijkstra
> sent in a letter by that title, and yes, it's an issue of "relational
> database theory."

And I still think avoiding GOTO alltogether is a good thing. Instead the
language is supposed to support COMEFROM, which you put at the place
where you want to continue when the program had reached some other
place. You can think of it much like an exception handler, the exception
being that the program survived to a point where you not really expected
it to get to.

Fortunately PostgreSQL has this even down on the per row level in form
of the BEFORE TRIGGER returning NULL and INSTEAD rewrite rules.

Jan

Date:
Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:

> At one extreme, Chris Date holds to the position that NULLs ought to
> be forbidden outright.  He does make a fairly credible case for it,
> albeit with the problem that when you forbid NULLs, you have to
> replace them by making the data model a little more complex.  (He
> recently released a paper on how to do this; there's not much
> surprise to it; whenever a column "could be NULL," you have to split
> it off to a separate table so that its omission amounts to not
> bothering to populate the new table...)
>
> The other "major" position is that there should be multiple sorts of
> 'NULL' values to indicate different forms of missing information.
> (One problem with NULL is that you can't easily distinguish between
> "I left that NULL because I didn't know the value" and "That's NULL
> because that's how we say it's 'empty.'")
>
> I fall more into the pragmatic position that "NULL columns have the
> potential to cause a lot of confusion; use NOT NULL when you can,
> and be wary when you can't."

Interesting.  The bullet caught my eye because I am currently working
with a table that has, in my opinion, poorly thought out NOT NULL
constraints.  When I do the initial insert I have to use 0 to mean
both "I don't know the value yet" and "this is how we say empty"!  It
occurs to me that adding a cross-reference table would not only let me
avoid NULL, but also solve a couple of other problems as well.

Thanks,
Jon
--
  But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for
  yourselves this day whom you will serve . . . But as for me and my
  household, we will serve the LORD.
  -- Joshua 24:15 (NIV)

Use/Abuse of Nulls

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
In the last exciting episode, Jon.Ericson@jpl.nasa.gov (Jon Ericson) wrote:
> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
>> At one extreme, Chris Date holds to the position that NULLs ought to
>> be forbidden outright.  He does make a fairly credible case for it,
>> albeit with the problem that when you forbid NULLs, you have to
>> replace them by making the data model a little more complex.  (He
>> recently released a paper on how to do this; there's not much
>> surprise to it; whenever a column "could be NULL," you have to split
>> it off to a separate table so that its omission amounts to not
>> bothering to populate the new table...)
>>
>> The other "major" position is that there should be multiple sorts of
>> 'NULL' values to indicate different forms of missing information.
>> (One problem with NULL is that you can't easily distinguish between
>> "I left that NULL because I didn't know the value" and "That's NULL
>> because that's how we say it's 'empty.'")
>>
>> I fall more into the pragmatic position that "NULL columns have the
>> potential to cause a lot of confusion; use NOT NULL when you can,
>> and be wary when you can't."
>
> Interesting.  The bullet caught my eye because I am currently working
> with a table that has, in my opinion, poorly thought out NOT NULL
> constraints.  When I do the initial insert I have to use 0 to mean
> both "I don't know the value yet" and "this is how we say empty"!  It
> occurs to me that adding a cross-reference table would not only let me
> avoid NULL, but also solve a couple of other problems as well.

Actually, I misattributed that.

The paper on dealing with 'missing information' without using NULLs is
by Hugh Darwen.  (He and Date do a lot of work together, so it's
honest confusion :-).)

<http://www.hughdarwen.freeola.com/TheThirdManifesto.web/Missing-info-without-nulls.pdf>

It's worth a read.  I am not sure it TRULY gets around the problems
with NULLs, but there certainly are some ideas there worth looking at.
Food for thought, if not a perfect prescription for a permanent
doctrine on the matter.

The problem I see with the "make another table" approach is that you
wind up with another table for everyone to manage.  More data to join;
more tables to add data to; none of that comes for free, even if it is
cheap, performance-wise.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/x.html