Re: PostgreSQL Certification - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Chris,
>
> > What _would_ be valuable would be for there to be some form of
> > "professional development."  The valuable (and expensive) form of that
> > would be to catch one or another of the "Open Source" conferences with
> > a PostgreSQL track, such as the Portland thing last summer.
>
> Well, the valuable thing about the certification is not the certification
> itself but the certification *course*.  Currently, I get asked questions
> about PostgreSQL training and PostgreSQL certifications a *lot*;  I just got
> back from PHPCon, for example, and 4 people there asked me about professional
> training.
>
> So what we need are professional training courses that provide some basic
> level of PostgreSQL competency.  If we have those training courses, then the
> certificate becomes "icing on the cake"; it lets the bean-counters justify
> the cost for existing employees, and trainees beef up there resume'.

I did the training in Atlanta and we only had a few people for the
course.  If there are tons of people who want training, they aren't
coming to my course.  :-(

However, I will try to keep offering it every 6 months just so we can
say we have a full-week training course.