Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Attached is Draft #6 of the press release.  This will either be the last or
the next-to-last draft.

Here's what we still need:

1) Rod -- I still need PR contact information for your company.

2) Given that I haven't seen anything from Marc or Geoff, I'll assume that
PGSQL Inc. is *not* doing a seperate replication announcement.   If they do,
the Replication paragraph will get cut.

3) Who should be our contact(s)?   For e-mail, press@postgresql.org is fine.
For non-english versions, the translator will be the contact.  But we need
people willing to take phone calls about PostgreSQL.   I can do it in the US;
we should also have one person in Australia and one in Europe.   Volunteers?

4) Speaking of which, who's lead for the Japanese PostgreSQL community?

5) Revisions to the release:  we are NOT going to add anything at this point.
Suggestions on stuff to CUT, however, are welcome, the release is too bloddy
long.  Also spelling and grammatical corrections.

6) IMPORTANT: Heather is absolutely right, we need a "Press introduction" page
to send people to from the press release.  This should include:
    - The release (again)
    - links to the advocacy site
    - links to download locations
    - links to a few articles which laud PostgreSQL.
Is anyone available to do this?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Attachment

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 11:26, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Attached is Draft #6 of the press release.  This will either be the last or
> the next-to-last draft.
>
> Here's what we still need:
>
> 1) Rod -- I still need PR contact information for your company.

Sorry, below is the info.

Celal Ulgen
press@inquent.com
416-645-4600

Attachment

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Neil Conway
Date:
[If my comments below have already been raised, sorry -- I've been away,
 and missed the earlier drafts of the release.]

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:26:45AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>    - New wire protocol (version 3) increases the speed of data transfers;

I don't think the main intent of the new wire protocol is to "increase the
speed of data transfers" -- does it actually make a significant improvement?
(I'm not sure, having been away for the summer).

> HIGH AVAILABILITY:  Expansion of PostgreSQL's Free Space Map disk management
> feature to support continuous index maintenence and the Auto Vacuum Daemon
> are the last "puzzle pieces" in providing 99.999% uptime for PostgreSQL
> databases.

I certainly wouldn't call the autovacuum stuff the "last piece" in HA for
PostgreSQL, and ISTM you just picked 5 nines right out of thin air.

-Neil

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Neil,

> [If my comments below have already been raised, sorry -- I've been away,
>  and missed the earlier drafts of the release.]

Howdy!  How was the internship?

> I don't think the main intent of the new wire protocol is to "increase the
> speed of data transfers" -- does it actually make a significant
> improvement? (I'm not sure, having been away for the summer).

Somebody else inserted this; I'll let them defend it.

> > HIGH AVAILABILITY:  Expansion of PostgreSQL's Free Space Map disk
> > management feature to support continuous index maintenence and the Auto
> > Vacuum Daemon are the last "puzzle pieces" in providing 99.999% uptime
> > for PostgreSQL databases.
>
> I certainly wouldn't call the autovacuum stuff the "last piece" in HA for
> PostgreSQL, and ISTM you just picked 5 nines right out of thin air.

Hmmm .... I see what you mean.  I was trying to cut length by not having pgavd
as a seperate sentence.  And yes, the 99.999 stuff is made up, although
completely possible now ...

If you have a suggestion for re-wording that paragraph around more solid
information, I'd like to see it.  We want to get the point across that
vacuuming indexes + pgavd = no shutting the database down or lokcing tables
except for version upgrades, ever.  And it has to be translated into
marketing-hypespeak.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> 2) Given that I haven't seen anything from Marc or Geoff, I'll assume
> that PGSQL Inc. is *not* doing a seperate replication announcement.  If
> they do, the Replication paragraph will get cut.

'K, thought you and Geoff were working together on that one?  That was the
last I saw posted about the subject, so thought you two had gone offline
:(

Andrew and I are pretty much finished with putting together the stuff to
put on gborg, and I was about to email you/Geoff to see if you'd succeeded
in getting anywhere with the PR for it :(

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Anastasios Hatzis
Date:
> 3) Who should be our contact(s)?   For e-mail, press@postgresql.org is fine.
> For non-english versions, the translator will be the contact.  But we need
> people willing to take phone calls about PostgreSQL.   I can do it in the US;
> we should also have one person in Australia and one in Europe.   Volunteers?

Me for Germany. I could translate the 7.4 release to German, distribute
it via email to our contact list (mostly German IT press) and take the
phone calls. There are about 35 media contacts explicitly interested in
press releases by PostgreSQL. Only few are from Austria and Switzerland.
If anyone else wants to translate, distribute and take the phone calls I
can provide him/her with this PR list. I would also take calls from
other european media, but I don't expect much effort, because I don't
know that much of the other european (often heterogen) markets and can't
provide any data about there IT press.

Please keep in mind, that I may need a few days for a good translation.
Editors are often bored by localized press releases coming up later than
english originals.

> 5) Revisions to the release:  we are NOT going to add anything at this point.
> Suggestions on stuff to CUT, however, are welcome, the release is too bloddy
> long.  Also spelling and grammatical corrections.

I know, I know, but maybe a headline would be fine :-)

> 6) IMPORTANT: Heather is absolutely right, we need a "Press introduction" page
> to send people to from the press release.  This should include:
>     - The release (again)
>     - links to the advocacy site
>     - links to download locations
>     - links to a few articles which laud PostgreSQL.
> Is anyone available to do this?

By the way: should there be an online version of the German press
releases and where to put it? It wouldn't be a problem to put it at a
seperate area on www.go-gen.com, but I would prefer something official
and in corporate design like www.postgresql.com

> CONTACT: press@postgresql.org
>
> PANAMA CITY, PANAMA: SEPTEMBER 1, 2003
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Though Panama City would be an eye catcher, for German market I
recommend a city better known for IT, maybe an US city, or Berlin instead.

Anastasios Hatzis

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Anastasios,

> Me for Germany. I could translate the 7.4 release to German, distribute
> it via email to our contact list (mostly German IT press) and take the
> phone calls. There are about 35 media contacts explicitly interested in
> press releases by PostgreSQL. Only few are from Austria and Switzerland.
> If anyone else wants to translate, distribute and take the phone calls I
> can provide him/her with this PR list. I would also take calls from
> other european media, but I don't expect much effort, because I don't
> know that much of the other european (often heterogen) markets and can't
> provide any data about there IT press.

You're it.   Glad to have the help.

One thing I will ask you is for you to send me your list of press contacts
(name, publication, e-mail).  This is for 2 purposes:
1) in case you're unexpectedly unavailable at sometime in the future, and we
still want to mail the German sites;
2) so that we can de-duplicate our list with PostgreSQL Inc. who will be doing
their own release.

> Please keep in mind, that I may need a few days for a good translation.
> Editors are often bored by localized press releases coming up later than
> english originals.

I am trying to give the translators 10 days for translation.

> By the way: should there be an online version of the German press
> releases and where to put it? It wouldn't be a problem to put it at a
> seperate area on www.go-gen.com, but I would prefer something official
> and in corporate design like www.postgresql.com

If somebody designs it, I think we can put it up at advocacy.postgresql.org.
Robert?

> > CONTACT: press@postgresql.org
> >
> > PANAMA CITY, PANAMA: SEPTEMBER 1, 2003
> > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> Though Panama City would be an eye catcher, for German market I
> recommend a city better known for IT, maybe an US city, or Berlin instead.

Hmmm ... well, the point we're trying to make is that it's an international
project.   If we could leave off the city entirely, we would but the AP will
just make up a city in that case.

Panama City is where our servers are currently hosted, so it's as good a
location as any.   I particularly don't want to use Toronto again because the
press have gotten the idea that PostgreSQL is a "Canadian" project.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> 'K, thought you and Geoff were working together on that one?  That was the
> last I saw posted about the subject, so thought you two had gone offline
> :(

No.  I was waiting for a draft from Geoff, which never materialized.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 13:11, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > By the way: should there be an online version of the German press
> > releases and where to put it? It wouldn't be a problem to put it at a
> > seperate area on www.go-gen.com, but I would prefer something official
> > and in corporate design like www.postgresql.com
>
> If somebody designs it, I think we can put it up at advocacy.postgresql.org.
> Robert?

There will be one on the advocacy site. We put up the major releases
there for each of the translations that we have. You can check out
7.3.0's release on the site if you wish.

> > > CONTACT: press@postgresql.org
> > >
> > > PANAMA CITY, PANAMA: SEPTEMBER 1, 2003
> > > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> >
> > Though Panama City would be an eye catcher, for German market I
> > recommend a city better known for IT, maybe an US city, or Berlin instead.
>
> Hmmm ... well, the point we're trying to make is that it's an international
> project.   If we could leave off the city entirely, we would but the AP will
> just make up a city in that case.
>
> Panama City is where our servers are currently hosted, so it's as good a
> location as any.   I particularly don't want to use Toronto again because the
> press have gotten the idea that PostgreSQL is a "Canadian" project.

Hmm... be affiliated with a third world country not known for anything
technology related or canada... panama city it is! :-)

Robert Treat

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
"Cornelia Boenigk"
Date:
hi all

> By the way: should there be an online version of the German press
> releases and where to put it? It wouldn't be a problem to put it at
> seperate area on www.go-gen.com, but I would prefer something
official
> and in corporate design like www.postgresql.com

http://www.postgres.de
http://www.pgsql.info

Regards
Conni

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> Hmm... be affiliated with a third world country not known for anything
> technology related or canada... panama city it is! :-)

Look, the point is that PostgreSQL Inc. is in Canada, and if we announce from
Toronto, Canada, a lot of reporters are going to jump to the conclusion that
the relationship btw. PostgreSQL Inc. and PostgreSQL is the same as the
releationship between MySQL AB and MySQL.  Several already have, based on the
calls and e-mails I received after 7.3.

If you have another location suggestion that makes sense, I'd be happy to hear
it.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Anastasios Hatzis
Date:
> You're it.   Glad to have the help.

Would be great to be a little help for this amazing project.

> One thing I will ask you is for you to send me your list of press contacts
> (name, publication, e-mail).  This is for 2 purposes:
> 1) in case you're unexpectedly unavailable at sometime in the future, and we
> still want to mail the German sites;
> 2) so that we can de-duplicate our list with PostgreSQL Inc. who will be doing
> their own release.

OK. I will send you the whole PR list of GO-GEN (~ 75 IT media), as
there are also some other recipients within, interested in different
topics (open-source-software, partner programs ...) which could match
for PostgreSQL Inc. too.

> I am trying to give the translators 10 days for translation.

OK - enough time to translate also into one of these funny bavarian
dialects ;)

> Panama City is where our servers are currently hosted, so it's as good a
> location as any.   I particularly don't want to use Toronto again because the
> press have gotten the idea that PostgreSQL is a "Canadian" project.

OK, comprehensible :)

Anastasios Hatzis

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On Wednesday 13 August 2003 10:35, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 13:11, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > By the way: should there be an online version of the German press
> > > releases and where to put it? It wouldn't be a problem to put it at a
> > > seperate area on www.go-gen.com, but I would prefer something official
> > > and in corporate design like www.postgresql.com
> >
> > If somebody designs it, I think we can put it up at
> > advocacy.postgresql.org. Robert?
>
> There will be one on the advocacy site. We put up the major releases
> there for each of the translations that we have. You can check out
> 7.3.0's release on the site if you wish.

> > > Though Panama City would be an eye catcher, for German market I
> > > recommend a city better known for IT, maybe an US city, or Berlin
> > > instead.
> >
> > Hmmm ... well, the point we're trying to make is that it's an
> > international project.   If we could leave off the city entirely, we
> > would but the AP will just make up a city in that case.
> >
> > Panama City is where our servers are currently hosted, so it's as good a
> > location as any.   I particularly don't want to use Toronto again because
> > the press have gotten the idea that PostgreSQL is a "Canadian" project.
>
> Hmm... be affiliated with a third world country not known for anything
> technology related or canada... panama city it is! :-)

Not to mention this release could somehow carry a deadly electronic version of
SARS or madcow.... ;-)

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
"Heather Carle"
Date:
Josh - just as an aside, and by no means am I saying that you should only
cater to US press, but Sept. 1 is a holiday in the US. Typically most people
are on vacation and your release will get lost while people are out. Also
keep in mind weekly tech trade deadlines are usually Wednesdays so you need
to have the release out by Tuesday AM.

So I'd suggest releasing either on Sept. 2, 8, or 9.

Just my $.02.

-Heather

[...]

Date:
Heather,

> Josh - just as an aside, and by no means am I saying that you should only
> cater to US press, but Sept. 1 is a holiday in the US. Typically most people
> are on vacation and your release will get lost while people are out. Also
> keep in mind weekly tech trade deadlines are usually Wednesdays so you need
> to have the release out by Tuesday AM.
>
> So I'd suggest releasing either on Sept. 2, 8, or 9.

The date is hypothetical.   We'll release when 7.4 is ready.  We're also
unlikely to release on 9/1 anway because I'll be out of town.

You are correct, though, we want to avoid a repeat of the 7.3 release, where
it was sent out Thanksgiving week.  And thanks for the info about deadlines.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
<snip>
> 3) Who should be our contact(s)?   For e-mail, press@postgresql.org is fine.
> For non-english versions, the translator will be the contact.  But we need
> people willing to take phone calls about PostgreSQL.   I can do it in the US;
> we should also have one person in Australia and one in Europe.   Volunteers?

I can be the contact point for Australlia if needed.  :)

Not sure.  Chris Phelan of Vanten KK <chris@vanten.com> would most likely be able to assist though.

> [...]
> future releases."
>
> ADOPTING POSTGRESQL EASIER THAN EVER
> The following enhancements aid in the testing, prototyping, and porting
> efforts of database professionals considering a switch to PostgreSQL:
>
> REORGANIZED AND EXPANDED DOCUMENTATION:  Completely reorganized and expanded
> online documentation, making it easier for first-time PostgreSQL DBAs to get
> their databases built, tuned, and running.
>
> SQL-STANDARD ERROR FRAMEWORK: Completely redesigned error logging and
> reporting, providing developers with an SQL99 compliant mechanism for
> debugging and troubleshooting, and giving users real time suggestions on how
> to avoid error conditions in their applications.
>
> SQL-STANDARD INFORMATION SCHEMA: 7.4 includes an SQL99 compliant Information
> Schema (or "metadata").  This provides application developers with database,
> type, object, and configuration information in a way which eases the migration
> of interfaces and middleware between database systems, and even the
> replication of data between commercial databases and PostgreSQL.
>
> NEW GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE (GUI) VERSIONS: PGAdmin and PHPPgAdmin, two
> of the three most popular GUIs for PostgreSQL will have new, extensively
> rewritten versions for PostgreSQL 7.4, making it more comfortable than ever
> for database administrators to switch.
>
> QUERY REWRITING: Includes a new option for explicit join rewriting by the
> query planner, easing the transition of existing applications and queries
> running on Sybase and MS SQL Server, which handle queries this way by default.
>
> RELEASE DETAILS
> -------------------------------------
> More information on this release is available at:
>     <URL here>
>
> About PostgreSQL:
>     With more than 16 years of development by hundreds of the world's
> most generous and brilliant minds from the open source community,
> PostgreSQL is the world's most advanced open source database. With its
> long time support of an enterprise level feature set including
> transactions, stored procedures, triggers, and subqueries, PostgreSQL is
> being used by many of today's most demanding businesses and government
> agencies.
>
>     Corporations such as BASF, Red Hat, Afilias Limited, Cisco, Chrysler,
> OpenMFG and 3Com, organizations like WGCR Radio, the University of
> Massachusetts at Amherst, and Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute, and Open
> Source projects including Bricolage, OpenACS and GForge rely on PostgreSQL's
> rock solid performance record and open development process. PostgreSQL is
> available under a BSD License for both commercial and non-commercial use.
>
> To find out more about PostgreSQL or to download it, please visit:
>     http://www.postgresql.org/
>
> Note to Editors: Additional information on the following companies quoted in
> this release can be found at:
> Inquent Technologies: Insert URL Contact: Insert corp. comm contact person

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

Date:
Justin Clift wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> <snip>
> > 3) Who should be our contact(s)?   For e-mail, press@postgresql.org is fine.
> > For non-english versions, the translator will be the contact.  But we need
> > people willing to take phone calls about PostgreSQL.   I can do it in the US;
> > we should also have one person in Australia and one in Europe.   Volunteers?
>
> I can be the contact point for Australlia if needed.  :)
>

> > 4) Speaking of which, who's lead for the Japanese PostgreSQL community?
>
> Not sure.  Chris Phelan of Vanten KK <chris@vanten.com> would most likely be able to assist though.

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> is Mr. PostgreSQL in Japan. He wrote
the first PostgreSQL book, started the first PostgreSQL users group in
Japan, and works for SRA. His name is synonymous with PostgreSQL in
Japan.  He is the biggest reason PostgreSQL is so popular in Japan
today.

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

Date:
Oh, this is nothing to take away from Chris Phelan, who I have met and
is very capable.

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Justin Clift wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > 3) Who should be our contact(s)?   For e-mail, press@postgresql.org is fine.
> > > For non-english versions, the translator will be the contact.  But we need
> > > people willing to take phone calls about PostgreSQL.   I can do it in the US;
> > > we should also have one person in Australia and one in Europe.   Volunteers?
> >
> > I can be the contact point for Australlia if needed.  :)
> >

> > > 4) Speaking of which, who's lead for the Japanese PostgreSQL community?
> >
> > Not sure.  Chris Phelan of Vanten KK <chris@vanten.com> would most likely be able to assist though.
>
> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> is Mr. PostgreSQL in Japan. He wrote
> the first PostgreSQL book, started the first PostgreSQL users group in
> Japan, and works for SRA. His name is synonymous with PostgreSQL in
> Japan.  He is the biggest reason PostgreSQL is so popular in Japan
> today.

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Chris Phelan
Date:
Hi,

Ishii San is well know and respected as Japan's most
passionate PostgreSQL Evangelist. So he is a great choice.

We are also happy to help out. Let us know if there is
anything we can do.

Best Regards
--------------------------------------------------------->
Christopher J. Phelan  <<>>  chris@vanten.com  <<>>  www.vanten.com
CEO  <<>>   Vanten K.K.   <<>>  Open Source Solutions
Tel: 81-3-5919-0266  <<>>  Fax: 81-3-5919-0267
Kei: 81-90-3504-4808

At PM 11:31 08/13/03 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>Justin Clift wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > 3) Who should be our contact(s)?   For e-mail, press@postgresql.org
> is fine.
> > > For non-english versions, the translator will be the contact.  But we
> need
> > > people willing to take phone calls about PostgreSQL.   I can do it in
> the US;
> > > we should also have one person in Australia and one in
> Europe.   Volunteers?
> >
> > I can be the contact point for Australlia if needed.  :)
> >

> > > 4) Speaking of which, who's lead for the Japanese PostgreSQL community?
> >
> > Not sure.  Chris Phelan of Vanten KK <chris@vanten.com> would most
> likely be able to assist though.
>
>Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> is Mr. PostgreSQL in Japan. He wrote
>the first PostgreSQL book, started the first PostgreSQL users group in
>Japan, and works for SRA. His name is synonymous with PostgreSQL in
>Japan.  He is the biggest reason PostgreSQL is so popular in Japan
>today.
>
>--

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris, Tatsuo,

> We are also happy to help out. Let us know if there is
> anything we can do.

I'd like you guys to be in charge of the translation and distribution of the
announcement to the Japanese press.  Keep in mind that the press release
isn't final yet.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Sean Chittenden
Date:
> > I don't think the main intent of the new wire protocol is to
> > "increase the speed of data transfers" -- does it actually make a
> > significant improvement? (I'm not sure, having been away for the
> > summer).
>
> Somebody else inserted this; I'll let them defend it.

See the archvies for a bit more on this, but the new wire protocol
makes it possible to send binary data to/from the server w/o having to
have it escaped on either end.  For databases that are storing imagery
data (think MRI's), this is non-trivial when many other DBs are/were
dog slow at doing this kind of stuff.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Sorry for the delay to this discussion. I have just subscribed to the
list.

> Chris, Tatsuo,
>
> > We are also happy to help out. Let us know if there is
> > anything we can do.
>
> I'd like you guys to be in charge of the translation and distribution of the
> announcement to the Japanese press.  Keep in mind that the press release
> isn't final yet.

I'm happy to translate and distribute it to the major Japanese press
including Nikkei BP (http://www.nikkeibp.com), the largest business
and techonology news company in Japan.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

German press (was: Draft #6: Semi-Final)

From
"Heather Carle"
Date:
We are starting with a new press resource in Germany in September and may be
able to help out on pitching this release by using Afilias' implementation
story as a hook.

If you all would like us to do this, please let me know. I would also need
to know who the appropriate spokesperson for PostgreSQL would be for follow
up.

Anastasios - if you could send me a copy of the German press list, I can
make sure to pass it along to our new agency to use.

Best,
Heather
--
Heather D. Carle
Communications Manager

http://www.afilias.info <http://www.afilias.info>

Would be great to be a little help for this amazing project.

> One thing I will ask you is for you to send me your list of press contacts
> (name, publication, e-mail).  This is for 2 purposes:
> 1) in case you're unexpectedly unavailable at sometime in the future, and
we
> still want to mail the German sites;
> 2) so that we can de-duplicate our list with PostgreSQL Inc. who will be
doing
> their own release.

OK. I will send you the whole PR list of GO-GEN (~ 75 IT media), as
there are also some other recipients within, interested in different
topics (open-source-software, partner programs ...) which could match
for PostgreSQL Inc. too.

> I am trying to give the translators 10 days for translation.

OK - enough time to translate also into one of these funny bavarian
dialects ;)

> Panama City is where our servers are currently hosted, so it's as good a
> location as any.   I particularly don't want to use Toronto again because
the
> press have gotten the idea that PostgreSQL is a "Canadian" project.

OK, comprehensible :)

Anastasios Hatzis

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: German press

From
Anastasios Hatzis
Date:
Heather,

I will send you the press list today, but later.

Anastasios

--

International Technology
Holding Corp.