Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Draft #6: Semi-Final
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
[If my comments below have already been raised, sorry -- I've been away,
 and missed the earlier drafts of the release.]

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:26:45AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>    - New wire protocol (version 3) increases the speed of data transfers;

I don't think the main intent of the new wire protocol is to "increase the
speed of data transfers" -- does it actually make a significant improvement?
(I'm not sure, having been away for the summer).

> HIGH AVAILABILITY:  Expansion of PostgreSQL's Free Space Map disk management
> feature to support continuous index maintenence and the Auto Vacuum Daemon
> are the last "puzzle pieces" in providing 99.999% uptime for PostgreSQL
> databases.

I certainly wouldn't call the autovacuum stuff the "last piece" in HA for
PostgreSQL, and ISTM you just picked 5 nines right out of thin air.

-Neil