Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From dg@illustra.com (David Gould)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works?
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works?
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian:
> David Gould:
> > I am thinking about a project that may change a large number of source files.
> > It may also take a fair amount of time, so I expect the main source tree
> > to get changed a fair amount during my work.
> >
> > What is the best way of setting up my source tree to support mergeing my
> > changes later later? Or maybe another way to ask is how do I make the best
> > use of cvs and cvsup etc to support concurant development? Or even, what
> > are the active pgsql developers doing now?
> >
> > Do you try to stay up to date on the patchs for you own source tree? Do you
> > maintain a local cvs repository? If so, how do you handle branching and
> > merging? Do you use "vendor branches"?
> >
> > I am sure I can puzzle something out, but if you have already developed
> > ways of organizing this that are 'standard procedure' or that work especially
> > well, I would like to take advantage of them.
>
> Good question.  If I can do it in stages, I do, and commit my changes
> every few days.  Even if you break the system doing it, that is OK.  We
> may or may not ask you to at least keep it running minimally so others
> can test.  Another way to do it is to 'claim the tree' and we will stay
> out of it and hold our patches until you are finished.

I guess I am asking a more basic question than this. For the past 10 years or
so I have been using either SCCS or RCS or ClearCase (Blech!) for source
control. I have not used CVS or cvsup. So I am really asking what is the best
way to setup up a source tree on my machine? I have read the CVS manual so I
can make it work however, I am just wondering about what the most usual
configureation is. Do I make a local cvsroot and use the "import vendor
branch" feature? Or do I try to configure to use a remote CVS server
(ie at postgresql.org). Should I maintain my own branch? And how does cvsup
fit in with this? Sorry for the lamity, but a 5 minute guide to how to set up
a convenient pgsql CM environment would save me a bit of time.

Thanks,

-dg

David Gould            dg@illustra.com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
 - Linux. Not because it is free. Because it is better.