Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I guess I am asking a more basic question than this. For the past 10 years or
> so I have been using either SCCS or RCS or ClearCase (Blech!) for source
> control. I have not used CVS or cvsup. So I am really asking what is the best
> way to setup up a source tree on my machine? I have read the CVS manual so I
> can make it work however, I am just wondering about what the most usual
> configureation is. Do I make a local cvsroot and use the "import vendor
> branch" feature? Or do I try to configure to use a remote CVS server
> (ie at postgresql.org). Should I maintain my own branch? And how does cvsup
> fit in with this? Sorry for the lamity, but a 5 minute guide to how to set up
> a convenient pgsql CM environment would save me a bit of time.

See tools/FAQ_DEV.  We cvsup the source, then use
tools/make_diff/difforig to generate patches.

We then post them to the patches list.  Or, if you have a postgresql.org
telnet account from Marc, you do a cvs checkout in that account to set
up a tree, ftp the patch to your telnet account on postgresql.org, run
'patch' with the diff we just ftp'ed, and do a 'cvs update' to apply the
patch, with an appropriate description.

After that, everyone sees your changes.