Re: [HACKERS] RH Linux v6.3.1 patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] RH Linux v6.3.1 patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I have gone through the patch.  First, the DESTDIR was certainly
> > mis-configured.  It was used in some places, but never defined.  I
> > decided that instead of making it consistent everywhere, I would remove
> > it.  Not sure what it added in addition to the existing defines.
>
> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!
>
> If you want us to REMOVE postgresql from our distribution, then get rid of
> DESTDIR. DESTDIR is very cool, because we can make:
>
> ./configure
> make
> make DESTDIR=/tmp/postgres-root install
>
> and then list all the files in /tmp/postgres-root as being part of the
> package. You have to understand that for some people clobbering their
> build machines with tons of un-needed things is a nightmare.
>
> In this respect, postgresql made me a pleasant surprise because of it's
> (partial) support for DESTDIR. That what made me belive that we can ship a
> postgresql package.
>
> If you remove it, I won't have time to hack it back, so ... Please don't.
>
> > The other defines were very Linux-specific, and because I don't run
> > Linux here, did not feel I could apply them.
>
> You mean the patches for things like:
>
> ifeq($(platform), linux)
> endif
>
> Yes, those are Linux specifiv and I _think_ you could apply them.
>
> > I will send the message to the hackers list, and see if anyone can
> > comment on the Linux changes.
>
> Please, please don't remove DESTDIR support. Enhance it.

OK, old DESTDIR re-installed, and patch applied.  I skipped part of the
patch.  One part commented out perl compile in interfaces/Makefile.
Another used mkdir -p, which I am not sure is supported on all
platforms.  I also skipped the configure.in changes, because that has
been cleaned up recently, and your changes were very unclear to me.