Re: [HACKERS] RH Linux v6.3.1 patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Cristian Gafton
Subject Re: [HACKERS] RH Linux v6.3.1 patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have gone through the patch.  First, the DESTDIR was certainly
> mis-configured.  It was used in some places, but never defined.  I
> decided that instead of making it consistent everywhere, I would remove
> it.  Not sure what it added in addition to the existing defines.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

If you want us to REMOVE postgresql from our distribution, then get rid of
DESTDIR. DESTDIR is very cool, because we can make:

./configure
make
make DESTDIR=/tmp/postgres-root install

and then list all the files in /tmp/postgres-root as being part of the
package. You have to understand that for some people clobbering their
build machines with tons of un-needed things is a nightmare.

In this respect, postgresql made me a pleasant surprise because of it's
(partial) support for DESTDIR. That what made me belive that we can ship a
postgresql package.

If you remove it, I won't have time to hack it back, so ... Please don't.

> The other defines were very Linux-specific, and because I don't run
> Linux here, did not feel I could apply them.

You mean the patches for things like:

ifeq($(platform), linux)
endif

Yes, those are Linux specifiv and I _think_ you could apply them.

> I will send the message to the hackers list, and see if anyone can
> comment on the Linux changes.

Please, please don't remove DESTDIR support. Enhance it.

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   gafton@redhat.com   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.