Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, David Gould wrote:

> I guess I am asking a more basic question than this. For the past 10 years or
> so I have been using either SCCS or RCS or ClearCase (Blech!) for source
> control. I have not used CVS or cvsup. So I am really asking what is the best
> way to setup up a source tree on my machine? I have read the CVS manual so I
> can make it work however, I am just wondering about what the most usual
> configureation is. Do I make a local cvsroot and use the "import vendor
> branch" feature? Or do I try to configure to use a remote CVS server
> (ie at postgresql.org). Should I maintain my own branch? And how does cvsup
> fit in with this? Sorry for the lamity, but a 5 minute guide to how to set up
> a convenient pgsql CM environment would save me a bit of time.

    I don't know if anyone has tried this yet, and I've only just
barely tried it here...

    If you take the README.cvsup file that is found at
ftp.postgresql.org:/pub/CVSup and comment out the line that states
'*default tag=.', it will pull down the actual RCS files.

    So, for instance, if you were to setup a CVS repository on your
machine and, using the above, pull the RCS files into $CVSROOT (and
created an appropriate $CVSROOT/CVSROOT directory), you could grab the
current source tree easily, and then checkout (and update) a local source
tree)...

    Then you'd just have to send in patches periodically, while
keeping your local source tree in sync with the master...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org