Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> I am thinking about a project that may change a large number of source files.
> It may also take a fair amount of time, so I expect the main source tree
> to get changed a fair amount during my work.
>
> What is the best way of setting up my source tree to support mergeing my
> changes later later? Or maybe another way to ask is how do I make the best
> use of cvs and cvsup etc to support concurant development? Or even, what
> are the active pgsql developers doing now?
>
> Do you try to stay up to date on the patchs for you own source tree? Do you
> maintain a local cvs repository? If so, how do you handle branching and
> merging? Do you use "vendor branches"?
>
> I am sure I can puzzle something out, but if you have already developed
> ways of organizing this that are 'standard procedure' or that work especially
> well, I would like to take advantage of them.

Good question.  If I can do it in stages, I do, and commit my changes
every few days.  Even if you break the system doing it, that is OK.  We
may or may not ask you to at least keep it running minimally so others
can test.  Another way to do it is to 'claim the tree' and we will stay
out of it and hold our patches until you are finished.