Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
Re: 8.4 release planning  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: 8.4 release planning  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: 8.4 release planning  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
Re: 8.4 release planning  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

> HS is working very well (Simon's ongoing work aside).  I am pretty
> confident based on my personal testing that it would represent the
> project well if committed today.

I think a lot of people weren't aware there was anybody testing this patch
other than Simon and Heikki -- I wasn't until just today. I wonder how many
more people are trying it out?

This is one of the changes for the better from the past. Though I still think
a lot more would try it out once it's committed.

Here's a thought experiment. If it was committable *today* would we be willing
to go with it and plan to release with it? Assume that it would *still* mean a
longer beta process, so it would still mean releasing in, say April instead of
February or March.

While personally I want us to switch to a mode where we commit large patches
early in the development cycle I don't believe we would refuse to commit it
today if it was ready. And I can't imagine two weeks would make the
difference either.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!