Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Here's a thought experiment. If it was committable *today* would we be
> willing to go with it and plan to release with it? Assume that it
> would *still* mean a longer beta process, so it would still mean
> releasing in, say April instead of February or March.

"April instead of February or March"?  If we cut off *all* further patch
acceptance *today*, we might conceivably be ready to release May 1.
It is not physically possible to get to beta from where we are before
mid-February, given the open issues, lack of release notes, and
already-scheduled back-branch updates that will be consuming some of
core's time this week.  And I doubt anyone thinks we need less than 2
months in beta.

(Or did you mean April of 2010?)

> While personally I want us to switch to a mode where we commit large patches
> early in the development cycle I don't believe we would refuse to commit it
> today if it was ready. And I can't imagine two weeks would make the
> difference either.

Well, if it were ready, we'd not be having this discussion.  The problem
is that it's not ready and no one is very sure about when it will be.