Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/26/09, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

>  Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
>
>  > HS is working very well (Simon's ongoing work aside).  I am pretty
>  > confident based on my personal testing that it would represent the
>  > project well if committed today.
>

> I think a lot of people weren't aware there was anybody testing this patch
>  other than Simon and Heikki -- I wasn't until just today. I wonder how many
>  more people are trying it out?
>
>  This is one of the changes for the better from the past. Though I still think
>  a lot more would try it out once it's committed.
>
>  Here's a thought experiment. If it was committable *today* would we be willing
>  to go with it and plan to release with it? Assume that it would *still* mean a
>  longer beta process, so it would still mean releasing in, say April instead of
>  February or March.

I think the best person to answer that is Simon.  He got a small
reprieve the last time this discussion came up, but it's 'put up or
shut up time'...time's up.  Is the thing ready to go?

While i'm 'pro HS', I'm also very much 'pro get 8.4 out asap'.  I
think both _may_ be possible.  This is probably horribly optimistic.
What I can do however is offer to summarize my own experiences testing
and invite others to do the same.  I'd also like to see Simon and or
Heikki make a strong statement on where things stand _right now_ (not
in two weeks) :-)

merlin