Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 15:47 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> I'd also like to see Simon and or
> Heikki make a strong statement on where things stand _right now_ (not
> in two weeks) :-)

Well, we just found 2 bugs over the weekend, one of which is a
regression from refactoring.

The second bug is being fixed as part of requested refactoring from
Heikki, discussed today.

I've insisted on full visibility, so all known bugs have been recorded
on Wiki as soon as they are reported, even internally located ones. Most
have been fixed on same day found. Check out the Wiki, any day.

I still have not completed Prepared Transaction support, but if I had
then it just would have slowed down the earlier rework. This is probably
the only hanging offence. Please remember that Heikki's rework proposals
were still under discussion only 2 weeks ago.

Personally, I've very happy with the code as stands, generally, but
Heikki may wish to move a few things around yet. The rework has meant
I've reread most of my own code, so I have found and fixed many of my
own bugs and rewritten comments to better explain things. I found,
reported and fixed the issue of drop tablespace for example. If cynical,
I could have hidden that and waited a month for people to find it.

Going Beta will reveal further feedback on usability, so we might expect
a few tweaks there as people moan. We'll see.

I won't put a time limit on this since people will just add their own
fudge factors to that and we'll be no nearer to a true figure. Without
everybody breathing down my neck it might be 2-3 days, but I'm spending
time reading email and trying to keep my patches alive.