Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
Re: 8.4 release planning  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/26/09, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
>  So, some feedback to make this decision more difficult:
>
>  Users: care about HS more than anything else in the world.  I'm convinced
> that if we took a staw poll, 80% of our users would be in favor of waiting
> for HS.  This one feature will make more of a difference in the number of PG
> users than any feature since the Windows port.  Maybe more.
>
>  on the other hand:
>
>  We held back version 4 months 7.4 for Windows, before it became apparent
> that there was at least a year more work to do.  That was a mistake, and in
> many ways HS seems like a similar case.

Not completely.  HS is in much better shape than win32 was when it was
pulled from 7.4...the build system wasn't even in place yet nor any of
the major challenges solved (like fork/exec).

HS is working very well (Simon's ongoing work aside).  I am pretty
confident based on my personal testing that it would represent the
project well if committed today.

merlin