Re: pgindent run? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgindent run?
Date
Re: pgindent run?  (Mark Dilger <hornschnorter@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Dilger <hornschnorter@gmail.com> writes:
> I have no objection, but if the community intends to keep everything
> indented per project standards, why is there no git hook to reject
> improperly indented code at commit time?  I've suffered some pain
> trying to merge code pre-global-indent-run into a branch
> post-global-indent-run and would rather this not keep happening.

I think that'd be taking it too far, especially given that the dependency
on a typedefs list means that the git hook might have a different idea
of what's correctly indented than the committer does.  It'd be very hard
to debug such discrepancies and figure out what would satisfy the hook.

In the end we're trying to minimize the net amount of pain involved.
I doubt that mechanized enforcement would fall at the global minimum.