Re: pgindent run? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Dilger
Subject Re: pgindent run?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Nov 28, 2017, at 12:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Mark Dilger <hornschnorter@gmail.com> writes:
>> I have no objection, but if the community intends to keep everything
>> indented per project standards, why is there no git hook to reject
>> improperly indented code at commit time?  I've suffered some pain
>> trying to merge code pre-global-indent-run into a branch
>> post-global-indent-run and would rather this not keep happening.
>
> I think that'd be taking it too far, especially given that the dependency
> on a typedefs list means that the git hook might have a different idea
> of what's correctly indented than the committer does.  It'd be very hard
> to debug such discrepancies and figure out what would satisfy the hook.

It sounds like it just requires that the committer also commit any changes
to the typedefs list, such that the indenter run by the git hook can use the
same list the committer is using.  For many commits, the typedefs list won't
change, and the hook would just use the most recent one from the repository.

Barring any objections, I'll see if I can make that work on my local git repo
and post a patch if so.

mark