Re: Running PostGre on DVD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pollard, Mike
Subject Re: Running PostGre on DVD
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> The example given in this thread certainly isn't going to change
> anybody's mind.  "Hi, I propose reducing everybody's security because
> my local admins insist on an utterly brain-dead security policy."

What's wrong with that? ;)

But seriously, the proposal is not to reduce everybody's security, just
make it an option for people that want to.  I am not arguing that it is
a good idea/bad idea.  In fact, the best thing to do may be to leave it
in contrib, so if someone thinks it will solve a problem, it is at least
a little painful to get to it.  But at least by putting it into contrib,
it may be useful to someone.  Especially if the idea is to put a sample
database onto a removable device.  I suspect this is for some kind of
demo (if not, it could be used for one); you go to a prospects site, pop
the CD/DVD into their machine, and show off what your product can do for
them.  In that case, you may have no control over the permissions on the
machine, and you certainly do not want to have to create and switch
users for a demo; you've just lost the customers interest.

Also, in my case, I'm running the debugger and profiler against Postgres
on my Windows machine.  I find it much easier to throw out the admin
restriction, so I can just use my own account.  I agree that my default
account should not have had full admin rights, but that is the way the
machine came.  And yes, I should have immediately created a new user and
set myself up on that one.  But come on, my old laptop was so old, and I
was so excited... sorry, TMI.

Mike Pollard
SUPRA Server SQL Engineering and Support
Cincom Systems, Inc