Re: Running PostGre on DVD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Running PostGre on DVD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 09:56:03AM -0500, Pollard, Mike wrote:
> a little painful to get to it.  But at least by putting it into contrib,
> it may be useful to someone.  Especially if the idea is to put a sample

Keep in mind that compiling something on windows is extremely painful
for most people. Unlike unix, the vast majority of windows users don't
have a compiler laying around.

> Also, in my case, I'm running the debugger and profiler against Postgres
> on my Windows machine.  I find it much easier to throw out the admin
> restriction, so I can just use my own account.  I agree that my default
> account should not have had full admin rights, but that is the way the
> machine came.  And yes, I should have immediately created a new user and
> set myself up on that one.  But come on, my old laptop was so old, and I
> was so excited... sorry, TMI.

Well, a bigger issue is that windows makes things a lot more difficult
to do if you don't have admin on your account. Yes, there is runas, but
windows doesn't exactly foster people working from the command line. And
IIRC runas isn't nearly as nice to use as sudo.