Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 13 August 2004 11:10, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 15:29, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > In fact I want to write a documentation section talking about add-ons,
> > why the exist (are not integrated), and how to get them.
> It is important to get across to the commercial world that add-ons can
> be equally as worthy as the core product.

Ok, I think Bruce and Oliver have both hit a point here that I don't see
discussed anyway.  We need a paragraph or two in the press release that
summarizes previous features anyway (after all, just because someone reads
the 8.0.0 PR does not mean they read the previous ones; I think we should
have the standard "PostgreSQL is an advanced open source database,
specializing in extensibility, and has the following features...' (very rough
draft)

I think we need to emphasize our extensibility, and use the various
third-party PL's (PL/R, PL/Java, etc) AND ALL OF THE KNOWN COMPATIBLE
replication solutions, commercial or otherwise, that exist.  Emphasize that
our extensibility is what makes Slony, eRserver, etc EVEN POSSIBLE, and
emphasize that our extensibility API is so robust that a replication solution
can be implemented outside of the core server in a robust manner.  We do not
emphasize this enough, IMO.  And be sure to emphasize that people are making
money (however little....;-0) on third-party commercial modules.  That might
not be as friendly to the open source side of the equation as a purely open
source PR would be, but I think would strike a balance that we sorely need.

But the fact is 'we' (PGDG) do not 'have' a replication solution; all are
third party, and there are some that are open source.  I personally think
that, since we tout the BSD license as making possible COMMERCIAL third party
modules, whole versions, and enhancements (SRA's stuff, Command Prompt's
stuff, etc), we should mention COMMERCIAL things to help highlight our
extensibility.  No, it's not new.  But, it's new to the executive/CIO/etc
that sees the 8.0.0 PR as the first piece of information he/she has ever seen
about PostgreSQL.  We should not limit our PR by assuming people have read
about older versions, or are even familiar with PostgreSQL AT ALL.

Bruce, I certainly understand how you feel on this, but SRA is one company
that benefits from the BSD license and releases a commercial version of
PostgreSQL, IIRC.  These companies are supporting us; I really think they
should get a nod.  If it's good for companies supporting PostgreSQL
commercially, then in reality it's good for the project's public relations as
a whole.

And the simple fact is that the replication solutions that we have ARE NOT
WELL KNOWN, otherwise the topic would not come up so often.  We need to
address this.  And we need to continually address this, in a prominent
manner.

This is not and should not be considered a technical document; people can and
do skim/skip/and otherwise read out of order these things.

Maybe something to the effect: "PostgreSQL's built-in robust API for
third-party extensions enables companies like Command Prompt, Inc; PostgreSQL
Inc; Software Research Associates; and Open Source projects like eRserver and
Slony to build robust replication solutions tailored for different
application requirements."  (Yes, I also understand the possiblity for the
confusion of PostgreSQL, Inc., and PostgreSQL 'The Project', but the simple
fact is that people ALREADY confuse the two.  That's not going to change; so
not mentioning PgSQL Inc is helping.

Then, at the end of the PR, provide a list of resources, or a link to a
resources page.  This is another thing we don't have; I'd like to see in one
place a list of links to the various companies and projects providing
third-part clients, modules, and versions.  I'd like to see a listing of
replication projects (gborg doesn't count, since it is not obvious from the
main page that you need to go to gborg for this sort of thing, and even then
it's only open source).  I'd like to see a listing 'Commercial Support of
PostgreSQL may be purchased from any of the following companies' and list
them (this on the resources website, not in the PR!) with contact
information.

I'd like to see a hyperlinked concise listing of features PROMINENTLY visible.

AND I'D LIKE TO SEE THESE RESOURCES IN PLAIN VIEW ON THE MAIN WEBPAGE.
(Sorry for the raised voice, but I was working on a presentation for a LUG and
could not for the life of me find this information in one place, so I likely
missed some companies.  It may very well exist, but it is well hidden)

Yes, I'm willing to mangle HTML to do it, too, if I just had the information.

It is good for the project to do this.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology