Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
>>I would like to see CMD mentioned in connection with Mammoth Replicator
>>as well. Yes, it is a closed source commercial add on, but still it is
>>something that apparently attracts customers who otherwise would have
>>had trouble making the decision pro-PostgreSQL. After all, this use of
>>PostgreSQL is one of the best reasons for the BSD license.
>

> I am not in favor of mentioning a commercial product in our press
> release, especially when we have an open source alternative.

Well if that doesn't just beg for argument. We gave away commercial
applications at the PostgreSQL OSCON booth (SRA)? Several people
there were commercial entities basically selling their services?

What denotes commercial? plPHP and plPerlNG are both commercial.

If PostgreSQL is not commercial, then companies shouldn't use it because
then it is just a part time gig for a bunch of hackers.

IMHO PostgreSQL is about as commercial as it gets.

Now, if you want to talk about Open Source that is a different argument.

It was my understanding that one of the arguments for PostgreSQL is the
BSD license "because it alllows closed source applications".

Why shouldn't a PostgreSQL press release then mention closed source
applications?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Attachment