Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
add-ons and kernelization was Time to work on Press Release 8.0  (Chris Travers <chris@metatrontech.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 15:29, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> We are already planning to mention server-side java in the release
> announcement.  That isn't integrated either, but I think we should
> mention it also.
>
> In fact I want to write a documentation section talking about add-ons,
> why the exist (are not integrated), and how to get them.

It is important to get across to the commercial world that add-ons can
be equally as worthy as the core product.  We don't use a commercial
model for software development, but it's the commercial model that
suggests that add-ons are less important.  I suppose they imagine that
an add-on product is somehow less reliable; but actually it is one of
the core developers who has produced this add-on and it is as open to
review as any other part of Pg.

Oliver Elphick