Re: SIGSEGV taken on 8.1 during dump/reload - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SIGSEGV taken on 8.1 during dump/reload
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com> writes:
> On 11/8/05, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Does look a bit suspicious ... Robert, are you *sure* you've got the
>> right version of pgsphere linked in?

> So it turned out that he didn't... Is this a sign that we need to
> include a versioning symbol in SOs so we can give a nice clear error
> message "module foo compiled for PostgreSQL 8.0.2 this is PostgreSQL
> 8.1." Is there ever a case where we want people using modules compiled
> against an old version, are there cases where users can't recompile
> their modules but the old ones would work?

There are cases where it would work, and other cases where it wouldn't.
Given the pain involved in debugging when it's wrong, maybe we should
just endeavor to forbid loading of all wrong-version modules.

I'm not sure that there's any real easy way to detect this though.
For V1-style functions we could embed a version number in the
per-function info structs, but that doesn't help for old-style
functions.